Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What spark plugs for 07 gt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by BlindGUYnAR
Drew I was under the impression FORD didn't offer an oem one piece plug for the 05-early 08 head design. I'm only aware of aftermarket one piece designs.

The new one piece plug I'm aware of from FORD is for the new heads and has a 12mm thread and the older two piece plugs have a 16mm thread so they wouldn't fit.

If FORD does make a one piece plug for the old head design can you provide a part number?

I'm about to buy a set as my early 08 (build Oct 07 + black boots) has 42k on it and I'm going to go ahead and get them out of there.
You are correct BlindGUY. Ford does not offer a one-piece plug to replace the two-piece. Whatever your car came with is what you are stuck with from Ford.

Just so we are clear.
05-07 and some 08's have two-piece Ford Plugs. For these vehicles Ford only offers two-piece plugs. (with Black Ignition Coils). Aftermarket companies like Champion and I believe Autolite offer one-piece versions of the two piece design. Ford DOES NOT.

Some 08 and all 09+ cars have a one-piece ford plug with Brown Ignition Coils. Ford DOES offer a one-piece plug for this one-piece design.

Neither the plugs nor the coils can be swapped between the two types. You have to have the corresponding heads to work with the appropriate plug/coil combo...

That being said, you COULD go out and buy the revised heads, coils, and plugs and install them on a pre 08 car....
Old 10-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Autolite plugs for the 05-07 GTs are 2 piece plugs. Autolite and Motorcraft are the same plugs. Your best bet, Champion.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

You guys are right. I recall trying to get the one piece motocraft plugs and couldn't. I like putting ford parts back on when I can so believe it or not I replaced mine with the same 2 piece oem. And don't regret it
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by drewsky
You guys are right. I recall trying to get the one piece motocraft plugs and couldn't. I like putting ford parts back on when I can so believe it or not I replaced mine with the same 2 piece oem. And don't regret it
Nothing wrong with your line of thinking, as long as you assume the risks. The performance of OEM two piece is good/great, it's just the servicing of them that sucks.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Nothing wrong with your line of thinking, as long as you assume the risks. The performance of OEM two piece is good/great, it's just the servicing of them that sucks.
Exactly. They ran solid for 70k miles so i figured why not. I noticed a little extra push when I replaced them with fresh ones. I got all 8 out with patience and being cautious, I have confidence I can do it again no problem next time around!

Last edited by drewsky; 10-24-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:55 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

+1 on using oem plugs/cop's. youll save yourself tons of headache and money. when you change the plugs out, apply nickel anti-seize to the snout and future removal should be pain free. good luck
Old 10-24-2014, 09:01 AM
S stang
1st Gear Member

Default Plugs

Originally Posted by bl817
+1 on using oem plugs/cop's. youll save yourself tons of headache and money. when you change the plugs out, apply nickel anti-seize to the snout and future removal should be pain free. good luck
I put E3 plugs in my ,they are one pice changed them at 72000 broke two,good luck,there are other one pice plugs out there.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S stang
I put E3 plugs in my ,they are one pice changed them at 72000 broke two,good luck,there are other one pice plugs out there.
That's what I'm talking about.

At least the OEM plugs break in a predictable manner. If the one piece plug breaks in a way that is different than I two piece plug would it maybe hard to get out. You could end up needing to pull the head. Without an enclosed grounding strap large "chucks" of porcelain might get into cylinder as well.

At least there are methods, tools, and videos to help with the removal of two piece breaks.

The one piece plugs can still shear off if to much tourqe is used when removing so you still got to be careful and work them back and forth. (Not saying that is how yours happened, just saying the world isn't made right with a one piece plug)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by bl817
I have yet to hear of any issues with the Champion one-piece plugs, my own experience included. Run what you want. It's your car.

To me, the nickel anti-sieze is a bandaid. The true fix only came when they redesigned the head to accept a different plug.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:00 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

be that as it may, a lot of us have earlier cars with the 2 piece plug. to each their own on plug choice, however im staying with the 2 piece plug cuz its just a lot eazier

Quick Reply: What spark plugs for 07 gt?