Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What spark plugs for 07 gt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default What spark plugs for 07 gt?

What do you guys recommend for a lightly modded N/A 2007 GT?
American Muscle doesn't have many options so I figured Id see whats popular out there. Should I just go with the motor craft ones again?

Im coming up on 100k and Im about to order new plugs, fuel filter, tranny fluid, diff fluid and whatever else I can think of replacing.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

If your '07 has the old design 2 piece plugs, I would recommend the one piece Champion plugs. Hopefully you will get the old ones out without any drama.
Are you doing this job yourself? Are they the original plugs? If they are the old design, and they are the original, better read up on the procedure and you might even buy the Lisle removal tool, "just in case". If they are the newer design, just throw a new set of Motorcrafts in and forget it.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Don't take this as definitive, since I'm not completely sure.

I think '07 was the year when Ford changed the plug type part way through the production run. If you have brown colored COPs, then you have the earlier plug; if you have black colored COPs, then you have the later plug.

The earlier plug was the notorious two-piece design, which sometimes tends to break when you remove them. That is PZT1F. You could call your dealer's parts department, give them the VIN, and see which plug you should be using. If it is the two-piece, get the compatible Champion, which is a one-piece design.

If you have the later plug, you should be okay with the Motorcraft, which is a one-piece design.

If your car is equipped with the two-piece plug, do NOT replace it with the Motorcraft one-piece plug.

Edit: I started writing this before Goldenpony posted, but his post made it before mine.

Last edited by Art161; 10-18-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Explanation
Old 10-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I may be wrong, but I think the Motorcraft plugs for the earlier design heads are still 2 piece plugs.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

If you have an 07 then your COPs are black and you have two piece plugs. The switch over talked about above occurred in 08.

For one piece plugs go with champs or brisk. I also heard MSD has a one piece plug now. I used brisk in my supercharged f150 and was happy, but I think they are mostly for FI applications.

If the OEMs got you 100k then a second set will likely get you the same. Likely it would be the last set you put in really so take that into account. Not sure you'll get 100k out of those other one piece options.

If you are doing it yourself with 100k on them buy the broken plug tool and follow the TSB. If you don't end up needing the tool return it. If you did use it then resale it or keep for the tool collection.

Last edited by BlindGUYnAR; 10-20-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ford changed the heads for the Mustang for the '08 model forward (Build dates start around Oct-Nov 2007).

I have an '08 with a build date the first wk of Oct 2007 and I still got the two piece design.

I've used the Champion 1-pc (PN 7989) since around 10K miles and I now have 65K on them. Zero problems and I've randomly checked them since I first installed them.

I think Autolite also makes some but only a heat range colder for FI or Nitrous setups...

Oh, and if you waited the recommended 100k...good luck. There is a TSB for spark plug removal on the 4.6L Mustang. Find it, use it. Even then you may still break a plug or two. Look for the Lisle spark plug tool or see if your local Autozone has one to borrow BEFORE you get started.

If you think you want to take it to the dealer, don't waste your time. They do not cover broken plugs, even if they break them. I don't think any shop will. You will be stuck with their labor chargers for removing the broken plugs in addition to the labor for replacing them with new ones.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys.
Im fully aware of the potential headache Ive got ahead of me and have been dreading it for many, many miles.

Sounds like the one piece, Champion plugs are probably the way to go?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:22 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Are your coil packs brown or black? Black means 2 piece. Google and YouTube advice on getting these out. If you break them your rushing it plain and simple. Wait till you have a day off and crack them a quarter turn then soak them overnight in solvent (carb cleaner or something) the next morning come back and take your time forward and back forward and back (they will scream and squeak the whole time) I took 5-6 min on each one! Just be patient. Anyone who has broken them is just rushing it. Go on YouTube and check out the specific procedure, there are many many vids on it. When you replace them I would go with the oem motocraft one piece design.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Drew, it's an 07. Coil color is irrelevant because they will be two piece plugs (black). Even early 08's like mine still had the 2-piece.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB2....4Land4.6L.pdf

Last edited by Derf00; 10-21-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
When you replace them I would go with the oem motocraft one piece design.

Drew I was under the impression FORD didn't offer an oem one piece plug for the 05-early 08 head design. I'm only aware of aftermarket one piece designs.

The new one piece plug I'm aware of from FORD is for the new heads and has a 12mm thread and the older two piece plugs have a 16mm thread so they wouldn't fit.

If FORD does make a one piece plug for the old head design can you provide a part number?

I'm about to buy a set as my early 08 (build Oct 07 + black boots) has 42k on it and I'm going to go ahead and get them out of there.

Quick Reply: What spark plugs for 07 gt?