Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exploding Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
i had a recall, years ago for my 05 V6, as did my dad with his 06 GT. something to do with the passenger air bag. i took it in and had it fixed but i don't remember what they did
The dealer just reprogrammed the computer so that the air bag would deploy with less force under certain conditions. This is a whole different thing.

What doesn't make sense to me is why only certain states are affected. Supposedly heat and humidity exacerbate the defect. But if you have a car delivered new in, say, New Jersey, and currently registered in New Jersey, there is no contemplated recall at this time. If you drove to Florida, it seems as though you would be subject to the same risk as a Florida car.

Stay tuned, because this situation is changing rapidly. Don't be too surprised if cars in all states that have the defective Takata air bags are recalled. Likewise, don't be surprised if they are not. BTW, I read that the air bags were manufactured in Mexico.

Even with recalled cars, the parts may not be available. I read that the Ford dealer would disable the passenger front air bag and put a sign on the dashboard not to sit in the front passenger seat. No word as to whether flak jackets will be made available for the driver.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
The dealer just reprogrammed the computer so that the air bag would deploy with less force under certain conditions. This is a whole different thing.

What doesn't make sense to me is why only certain states are affected. Supposedly heat and humidity exacerbate the defect. But if you have a car delivered new in, say, New Jersey, and currently registered in New Jersey, there is no contemplated recall at this time. If you drove to Florida, it seems as though you would be subject to the same risk as a Florida car.

Stay tuned, because this situation is changing rapidly. Don't be too surprised if cars in all states that have the defective Takata air bags are recalled. Likewise, don't be surprised if they are not. BTW, I read that the air bags were manufactured in Mexico.

Even with recalled cars, the parts may not be available. I read that the Ford dealer would disable the passenger front air bag and put a sign on the dashboard not to sit in the front passenger seat. No word as to whether flak jackets will be made available for the driver.
as I understand it, the problem is that Takata either f-ed up the manufacture of the inflator propellant, or mis-handled propellant material they had on hand. Humidity/moisture can affect the propellant in suspect inflators in such a way that if the airbag is fired, the propellant detonates instead of undergoing a rapid controlled burn. And when it detonates, it blows the inflator canister apart which flings metal shrapnel all over the place.

and it doesn't matter where Takata manufactured the inflators, it was a result of poor processes and mis-management.

Last edited by jz78817; 10-23-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
Deysha,

Are all the Mustangs that are currently affected by the air bag recall tagged at

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...ge/RecallsPage
At this time, yes they are, Buckshot Barry. However, this situation is changing rapidly, so I would continue to check my VIN on the site.

Deysha
Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
At this time, yes they are, Buckshot Barry. However, this situation is changing rapidly, so I would continue to check my VIN on the site.

Deysha
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I still only have 840 miles on my 2007 Pony Package and was dreading a trip to the service department.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I still only have 840 miles on my 2007 Pony Package and was dreading a trip to the service department.
I understand, Buckshot Barry. However, when it comes to safety recalls, I always recommend you go no matter what.

Deysha
Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Air Bags

I typed in the VIN for my '06 GT. It said there were no recalls for my car. I'll check again in a while.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow....what's the point in having a car if it can never be a car? These cars are made to be driven...

It's not like they are supercars that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jz78817
even worse is that saintly Honda found evidence of this issue a long time ago and said nothing to nobody.
Of course not, it affected their cars too. Now, if they found out it only affected their competitors, they would've plastered it all over the media...