Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trunk carpet/board is flimsy

Old 10-24-2014, 02:48 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

there is supposed to be a plastic top for the threaded rod that keeps it from digging into the board base of the trunk carpet. if that's lost like most are , then youll have shavings from the board on your spare and in the well from whatever you put in your trunk
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by bl817
there is supposed to be a plastic top for the threaded rod that keeps it from digging into the board base of the trunk carpet. if that's lost like most are , then youll have shavings from the board on your spare and in the well from whatever you put in your trunk
I don't think this is the case on mine, instead it has a reinforced contact patch on the underside of the floor.

Also on the spare tire, my car came with the inflation kit but I bought a spare from a junkyard before I went on a road trip. The spare wheel has an odd convex shape to it which may help support the floor. The block of Styrofoam the inflation kit comes in appears to be tall enough to perform the same function.

I had the trunk packed full of suitcases for that road trip and haven't seen any issues. My car is a '14 GT track pack and I have the all weather liner as well.

Did OP ever confirm whether he or she has a spare tire, inflation kit or nothing?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I don't think this is the case on mine, instead it has a reinforced contact patch on the underside of the floor.

Also on the spare tire, my car came with the inflation kit but I bought a spare from a junkyard before I went on a road trip. The spare wheel has an odd convex shape to it which may help support the floor. The block of Styrofoam the inflation kit comes in appears to be tall enough to perform the same function.

I had the trunk packed full of suitcases for that road trip and haven't seen any issues. My car is a '14 GT track pack and I have the all weather liner as well.

Did OP ever confirm whether he or she has a spare tire, inflation kit or nothing?
Are you sure that the spare tire wheel will fit with the track pack? Doesn't that come with the Brembo brakes up front? If so, that is why you didn't get a spare tire and got the inflator repair kit instead - the wheel won't clear the Brembo brakes, and a bigger wheel/tire combo won't fit in the well.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:02 PM
dj2014

Originally Posted by jz78817
I may be wrong but I don't think spare tires were optional on S197 except maybe on the Boss 302.
My brother in law has a 2012 base V6 that came with an inflation kit. I bought a 2013 base V6 and it came with a spare tire. I traded in the 2013 for a 2014 V6 premium and it came with a spare tire also.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:06 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

I cut a 2x4 the width of the spare tire well opening, and drilled a hole in the center of it the same diameter of the threaded post that holds everything down. Slide it onto the post and you have instant stabilization. Prior to that the post had punctured a hole in the wood "floor" of the trunk (but luckily not the carpet).
Old 10-25-2014, 05:57 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dj2014
My brother in law has a 2012 base V6 that came with an inflation kit. I bought a 2013 base V6 and it came with a spare tire. I traded in the 2013 for a 2014 V6 premium and it came with a spare tire also.
huh, they must have changed things then. I don't recall having to add a spare tire to my car when I ordered my 2010; my 2012 I bought off of the lot and it had one as built. maybe I should dig up my window sticker.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by JimC
Are you sure that the spare tire wheel will fit with the track pack? Doesn't that come with the Brembo brakes up front? If so, that is why you didn't get a spare tire and got the inflator repair kit instead - the wheel won't clear the Brembo brakes, and a bigger wheel/tire combo won't fit in the well.
You are right, it's a total "cluster" as far as engineering goes. The GT spare will fit on the rear (I installed it once to make sure). If I got a flat on the front, the plan was to install the spare on the rear, then install the tire from the rear on the front. Then there was some concern about the diameter difference between the spare and the track pack tire, and how it would affect the torsen differential. I measured the difference in diameter (3/4") and also whether the torsen differential in our cars was compact spare compatible. I found some evidence (unfortunately not conclusive) that it is compatible and went with it.

I never got around to it but I also was going to try wheel spacers and see if the spare would then fit the front.

I can dig up my sauce (it's in a thread on a different forum) if you want or need it.

Edit: So many quotes.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 10-25-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

OP, why don't you just go and stuff it? You could use crumpled newspaper, towels, blankets, etc.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:42 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
OP, why don't you just go and stuff it? You could use crumpled newspaper, towels, blankets, etc.
Perhaps get a sheet of 2" rigid foam insulation from one of the home improvement stores and cut it to fit the well, stacking/gluing multiple pieces to make it tall enough to provide support... super light and strong.

Don
Old 10-26-2014, 11:21 PM
carlspeed
1st Gear Member

To answer some questions, the car is equipped with two options only, 3.73 gears and the Brembo package. I like simplicity. I got the cheesy crap tire pump, and no spare. I don't recall having a rod go up to the liner, but considering I took out the 8lbs of uselessness literally the day I brought the car home, it's conceivable I missed it. In any event, it's been fine until now, and I had a whole bunch of stuff in the trunk during a road trip to the gap too, no issues... Even making several "spirited" runs, no collapsing until a year later when I dastardly tried to put golf clubs in the trunk. Ludicrous, I know.

As far as stuffing it, I'm probably going to pass on that... As I said, I might do what I said, ditch the liner, and just carpet the trunk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trunk carpet/board is flimsy