Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Shaker 500 Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:04 AM
VapeD

What about the speakers in the backseat by your head (rear deck.? What size speakers are they? if i wanted to replace those.. is there a place to find them from shelby like the kickers?

Last edited by VapeD; 10-25-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:55 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VapeD
What about the speakers in the backseat by your head (rear deck.? What size speakers are they? if i wanted to replace those.. is there a place to find them from shelby like the kickers?
they're 5.5"x7.5" speakers just like the front upper door speaker. most aftermarket companies make 5x7/6x8 speakers which should fit. it's been a while since I've looked at an '05-'09 car so I don't remember if the rear deck speakers are the enclosed 2-ways or base full-range speakers.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:18 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

they are base full range speakers open to the trunk
Old 10-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

they are base full range speakers open to the trunk
Yes, BL817 is correct. These are the same size as the door speakers in my 2012, 6x8. I used them for the input to the new door sub amp. You could use them to drive a trunk sub. The factory head does not have a line level output, so a new amp will need to have a speaker level input or you can use a spk to line convertor. The plus with using a speaker level input amp, they are available with the ability will turn off and on automatically.

Last edited by Chromeshadow; 10-25-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:37 PM
VapeD

So i could just use the shelby 6x8 kickers for the back ones as well? ... if i did that..WOuld i need a new amp? Either way, can someone link me to a recommended amp? The amp would be for if i got 2 sets of the shelby 6x8 kickers (one set for doors, one for rear) and replaced the door subs with the shelby kicker subs.

Also, Is it worth installing some dynamat(or equivalent?) into the doors?

Last edited by VapeD; 10-25-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

So i could just use the shelby 6x8 kickers for the back ones as well? ... if i did that..Would i need a new amp
Yes, No, your preference may be different than mine.
Shelby does have an amp for both the door subs and their trunk sub. I used a Sony amp for only my door subs, this fit in the kick panel where the factory amp was.
I was reluctant to amp up the 6x8s, it would take a lot of typing to explain why, there are a few people here who have done it, most have replaced the factory head unit.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:41 PM
VapeD

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Yes, No, your preference may be different than mine.
Shelby does have an amp for both the door subs and their trunk sub. I used a Sony amp for only my door subs, this fit in the kick panel where the factory amp was.
I was reluctant to amp up the 6x8s, it would take a lot of typing to explain why, there are a few people here who have done it, most have replaced the factory head unit.
Ah ok well i appreciate the help man.. Hey chrome i looked at ur post from when you did your sound system upgrade..can you explain something to me?

in the topic you said: This made a huge improvement in the sound. While it does not have the level of base that will make your ears bleed like a good set of subs, It has really good base and good clean mids and highs. I may hook the other 2 channels to the 6x8s in the doors, but I want to drive it for a while before I make any other decisions.
Don't the speakers have to always be on an amp? Maybe im missing something
What i understood was you upgraded the door subs with the shelby kicker door subs and then the 6x8 door speakers with some pioneers..

Last edited by VapeD; 10-26-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:36 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Don't the speakers have to always be on an amp? Maybe im missing something
the radio has a 4 channel, 16 watts/channel amplifier built in.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:26 AM
VapeD

Originally Posted by jz78817
the radio has a 4 channel, 16 watts/channel amplifier built in.
But why would you only hook some of the channels up to the amp?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

All of the shaker 500s that I'm aware of have 6 speakers, 4 6x8s and 2 8" subs.
some also may have small tweeters. All of the speakers except for the door subs are driven directly from the head unit. The 8" door subs require more power than is available from the main head unit and use an external map.
I replaced the external amp that came with the factory shaker 500 with a Sony amp.

The shaker 1000 included a trunk subwoofer with it's own amp, Shelby offers a similar trunk mounted sub.
It's good that you have a lot of questions, I would encourage you to go to car shows and look for; and listen to a lot of car radios to try and get some real life experience with aftermarket radios. I don't trust a lot of audio shops, I'm sure there are great ones out there, but it's easy to make your system worse if you chose the wrong parts or wire them in poorly. If you do move ahead, you may want to start a new post and ask if anyone here has tried the speakers and amp you plan on using and how well or poorly it worked for them. A lot depends on the music you listen to and what your preferences are, and if you need the trunk space. Some people want to feel the bass and set off car alarms, some want to hear the music as realistic as possible. Neither is right or wrong INHO. I set up mine exactly the way I want it, it's nice to get complements on it, but even if others hated it I'd leave it just like it is.
Btw, awesome car!

Quick Reply: Help With Shaker 500 Speakers?