Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo display ruined!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:34 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Default Stereo display ruined!

A couple of days ago, I noticed a crystalized like glaze along the lower border of my stereo. One portion was about 1cm in height and width. It really had me wondering what it was. I used a small portion of a clean microfiber towel to wipe it away and it smeared into a solid haze! When you run your finger over the area, it feels like a light coat of hardened glue. I avoided cleaning the rest of the stereo as I knew what would happen if I did. Does anybody know what may have caused this? I'm guessing that it was some form of adhesive from the stereo display. Now I'm stuck with a display unit that's smeared with a cloudy glaze. Not happy since the car is only a year old! Going to the dealership today to show it to them.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:40 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I don't see why you would get upset over this as it should be covered by warranty unless it was due to human error.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I took it to the dealership and they're going to take some pictures and consult with Ford. I'm not holding my breath for an answer.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by mdg
A couple of days ago, I noticed a crystalized like glaze along the lower border of my stereo. One portion was about 1cm in height and width. It really had me wondering what it was. I used a small portion of a clean microfiber towel to wipe it away and it smeared into a solid haze! When you run your finger over the area, it feels like a light coat of hardened glue. I avoided cleaning the rest of the stereo as I knew what would happen if I did. Does anybody know what may have caused this? I'm guessing that it was some form of adhesive from the stereo display. Now I'm stuck with a display unit that's smeared with a cloudy glaze. Not happy since the car is only a year old! Going to the dealership today to show it to them.
Definitely bring it in, mdg. Also, let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area so they can work with your dealer regarding the display. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 10-28-2014, 01:46 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I had the same problem appear after taking my car to a car wash... I think that whatever they used to detail the inside of the car isn't compatible with the screen coating itself... You run your finger over the areas and the coating just flakes off... I have purchased a display from another mustang owner, and will swap out in the future...

Hopefully you will get it resolved through warranty... My car has 55k miles, even though it's a 2012, so warranty is not an option for me.

Don
Old 11-06-2014, 12:24 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

*UPDATE* The dealership replaced the radio display yesterday, but what an ordeal! They gave me a loaner car and the battery died the following morning. Roadside assistance arrived and jump-started it. A couple of hours later, we went to start it and the battery was dead. I called the dealership and told them to come get it.

When I picked up my car last night, I did a walk-around and noticed a dent in the right-wheel quarter panel. Looks like a door slammed into it. The service rep told me that I can return next Wednesday to have a local guy fix it and that they'd give me a loaner car. I'm beyond frustrated!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg

When I picked up my car last night, I did a walk-around and noticed a dent in the right-wheel quarter panel. Looks like a door slammed into it. The service rep told me that I can return next Wednesday to have a local guy fix it and that they'd give me a loaner car. I'm beyond frustrated!
WOW!!! I do do the exact thing when I pick up my car from dealer, a quick walk around. I also tell them they are not allowed to drive it unless I'm in the vehicle. Good luck!!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by mdg
*UPDATE* The dealership replaced the radio display yesterday, but what an ordeal! They gave me a loaner car and the battery died the following morning. Roadside assistance arrived and jump-started it. A couple of hours later, we went to start it and the battery was dead. I called the dealership and told them to come get it.

Thats why i never bring it in unless its on fire
Why even bring it in for something this small? Just to show my point, i have a rear decklid ahesive thats coming off and clearcoat peeling around the faux gas cap for almost 3 month now. I planning go rtr declid panel soon.Btw theres a thread on how to change it with better screen.

Last edited by 13'GT Black; 11-06-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg
That sucks, but at least the admitted to it and are gonna fix it. I had mine at the dealer for warranty work and they drove it into a curb, cracking and popping the paint of the lower valence. When I pointed it out to them they said they didn't do it, but would offer a discount to repair it.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 11-07-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by mdg

Oh nooo! Glad the display was replaced and your dealer is handling the door ding, mdg. Let me know how everything turns out.

Deysha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo display ruined!