Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 deck lid peeling/flaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 PM
DIB2013V6

Post 2013 deck lid peeling/flaking

I've own my 2013 mustang for 2 years now and this past weekend while washing it, I noticed my deck lid clear coat is peeling/flaking. I clean my carr religiously and can't imagine how this happened. Has anyone experienced this problem? How do I fix it and prevent it from continuing?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Are you using a pressure washer to wash it? Isn't it still under warranty?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:37 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Dang .... only two years? That sucks!

My '95 T-Bird started that just recently on the trunk lid ..... I had hood and roof painted in 2012 for that but trunk was OK.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by DIB2013V6
I've own my 2013 mustang for 2 years now and this past weekend while washing it, I noticed my deck lid clear coat is peeling/flaking. I clean my carr religiously and can't imagine how this happened. Has anyone experienced this problem? How do I fix it and prevent it from continuing?

Thanks in advance
Oh no! Welcome to the forum, DIB2013V6! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. I think you should have your Ford Dealer look into this paint issue for you. Be sure to speak to your service manager about this, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Also, remember most paid repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 PM
DIB2013V6

Default flaking/pealing

I use a pressure washer to clean my wheels and inside my wheel well. To wet my car I just spay it without the pressure so it should not be peeling by any stretch of imagination. This will be the second paint issue with my car too. About a year ago I noticed a paint chip on the roof of my car and about a week later I noticed another on my fender. Finally two weeks later I noticed paint chips under my hood and I finally said enough was enough. The service guy at the dealership said he couldn't "justify" that the outside paint chips were due to the factory paint job. I begged to differ but he wasn't budging. He did agree to have under my hood repainted because there was no way anything could have hit it hard enough to chip paint. The paint chips were no.different on the body of the car verses under the hood of the car. Now I have this issue with my deck lid. I did email my dealer to get me the email address of the service guy but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Is there anything that I can do other than washing and waxing my car every week to prevent this from happening again?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:41 PM
bstephenssss

Originally Posted by DIB2013V6
I use a pressure washer to clean my wheels and inside my wheel well. To wet my car I just spay it without the pressure so it should not be peeling by any stretch of imagination. This will be the second paint issue with my car too. About a year ago I noticed a paint chip on the roof of my car and about a week later I noticed another on my fender. Finally two weeks later I noticed paint chips under my hood and I finally said enough was enough. The service guy at the dealership said he couldn't "justify" that the outside paint chips were due to the factory paint job. I begged to differ but he wasn't budging. He did agree to have under my hood repainted because there was no way anything could have hit it hard enough to chip paint. The paint chips were no.different on the body of the car verses under the hood of the car. Now I have this issue with my deck lid. I did email my dealer to get me the email address of the service guy but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Is there anything that I can do other than washing and waxing my car every week to prevent this from happening again?
Mine is doing the same. I bought my 2014 used (I'm the 2nd owner) and have babied the hell out of my car. No pressure washer, hand wash only, etc... I noticed a little bit of the crackling/peeling above the round mustang logo on the deck lid but just passed it off as normal wear and tear but today while washing it I noticed it has gotten MUCH worse and is particularly bad near the bottom. Every time I take my car to the local ford dealer, if it has anything to do with warranty they kind of shrug it off as normal (I took it in for the belt squealing... my car sounded like beater and not a brand new car but they told me to just buy belt dressing. Still squeals. I took it in again for a bad smell when I hit the gas like getting on the freeway... Nah it's normal, we don't need to look at it). Anyway, I might just call and see what they have to say because this is extremely unacceptable. My car is only 2 years old, it shouldn't be doing this.
Is this what yours looks like?