Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotors

Old 10-31-2014, 07:46 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake rotors

Hey Guys,

I am going to attempt to replace my rear pads and rotors tomorrow. I know there are all kinds of opinions on brake pads and brands. Before you all burn me at the stake, let me just say that I have bought the duralast front pads from Autozone before and have had no issues and great stopping. So I plan to do that again for the rear. The brake pads are lifetime warranty; when they wear out, Autozone will give you a new set free of charge, so I think I will stick with it.

However, this will be the first time I need to buy new rotors. Does anyone have a good reason as to why I shouldn't get the rotor from the same brand?

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:26 PM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Hey Guys,

I am going to attempt to replace my rear pads and rotors tomorrow. I know there are all kinds of opinions on brake pads and brands. Before you all burn me at the stake, let me just say that I have bought the duralast front pads from Autozone before and have had no issues and great stopping. So I plan to do that again for the rear. The brake pads are lifetime warranty; when they wear out, Autozone will give you a new set free of charge, so I think I will stick with it.

However, this will be the first time I need to buy new rotors. Does anyone have a good reason as to why I shouldn't get the rotor from the same brand?

Thanks.
Those rotors are run of the mill rotors and are only for those on a tight budget, in my opinion. but from my research I found some people claiming they were fine while others said they were crap. So much for the internet huh? I personally recommend drilled and slotted rotors if you're going to change them out. But my first guess is if you are on a budget, they would be fine.

I would also get ceramic pads. They cost a little more, but last a lot longer.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 10-31-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I use Akebono Ceramic pads for replacements. Very little dust, great bite after they warm up and no noise. For rotors I generally get Napa Premium line with a 0.002" runout limit. Their standard brand as with most other brands is 0.004" runout.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:37 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

runout?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My problem with stock type rear pads was that they heat spotted the rear discs and I had to replace them. I got some Hawk pads and haven't had any brake issues since. Going from 130+ down to 10-15 mph to make the turn at the track just cooked my rotors and pads.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 PM
CharlieW
1st Gear Member

I put Autozone rear rotors on this summer and have not had any problems. I had the wheels off last week to work on the sway bar and the rotors looked great.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 PM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

It depends how you are going to use the car. Duralast parts on a race car? Probably not a good idea, but for every day driving they will be fine. I upgraded to GT rotors on my V6 up front, put in O'Reilly rotors on back and used O'Reilly's lifetime ceramic pads. I am a cruiser and am happy with the set up.

If you are going to put that work in to the brakes, be sure to change the fluid and remember...you need to screw in the rear pistons.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:26 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Ya, its my daily driver so I am not worried about top of the line. Slotted rotors are good for racing, but I don't think I have to worry about over heating them with basic driving.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:15 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Amazon has Power Stop rotors and pads for 140 shipped to Alaska or Hawaii also. Not a bad price for 2 drilled/slotted rotors and pads.

Amazon.com: Power Stop K1384 Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Power Stop K1384 Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive
Old 11-01-2014, 12:31 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Those rotors should be fine, duralast is a basic brand. When changing the pads/rotors I always go with the drilled and slotted rotors for a number of reasons. They look really awesome and are almost immune to warping. They stop on a dime and are about the same price as normal rotors/pads. I just changed the front rotors/pads to drilled/slotted on my 97 f150 and love them. I've had them on a number of my other mustangs as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake rotors