Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty Shifting Into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by RamblinEngineer
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2014 Mustang GT new back in July and have about 7,500 miles on it currently. Since I first got it, I have always noticed that the shifter seems to resist moving into 2nd gear on both normal and high rpms. When doing the 1-2 shift, as the shifter moves from the neutral area to second gear it feels like it is rubbing against the 2nd gear before it shifts fully into gear. Basically I have to light push the shift down for about a second or so before it slips into second. I also experience this going into 3rd as well but at less frequency compared to the 2nd gear. I have been looking into getting a MGW shifter to help with the issue but wonder if this could be a transmission issue because the shifter movement from 1-2 is smooth when the car is stopped and in neutral.

Could anyone shed some light on this issue? Not sure if this is something I should take to the dealership under warranty.

Thanks for reading
Welcome to the forum, RamblinEngineer! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I recommend you get your shifting concerns addressed at your Ford Dealer as soon as possible. I’d also like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area and have him/her look into this for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Are you hitting the Skip Shift Lockout? If you are running the stock tune and have not unplugged the lockout yourself, it would seem reasonable that this could be your issue... Unless the '14 didn't come with this feature like my '12 did.
No, BigDinTexas. We did away with this feature on our 13s and forward.

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
I have the same issue. When shifting into second, it shifts, but not completely in. When I let the clutch out, sometimes it slips into gear, sometimes it grinds and slips out.

I have an issue with 5th gear, as well. From 4th to 5th, with the clutch fully depressed, sometimes the shift catches as it slots into 5th and I feel a slight grind for a split second. As you m/t owners know, it really makes one grit their teeth, I cringe every time i shift into 5th! Would an aftermarket shifter help this issue?

The car's still under warranty but everytime i get a service and mention a flaw about the car they never seem to get it situated.
You should make an appointment specifically for the concerns you have with your vehicle, JayBeStangs94. This way they can set time out for them and address them for you. Please let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 12-09-2014, 02:52 PM
RamblinEngineer

Hey everyone. I apologize that is has taken this long to respond. I took it in to my local dealer and they said they could not replicate the issue. They implied that the car was still very new (9k miles) and that it is still being worn in. At least it is on record now in case something happens in the future. Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Hey everyone. I apologize that is has taken this long to respond. I took it in to my local dealer and they said they could not replicate the issue. They implied that the car was still very new (9k miles) and that it is still being worn in. At least it is on record now in case something happens in the future. Thanks for all the help.
That's just them blowing you off. Take them for a ride and replicate it for them. Keep after it, don't risk further wear and tear that you could be held responsible for.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:07 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
I have the same issue. When shifting into second, it shifts, but not completely in. When I let the clutch out, sometimes it slips into gear, sometimes it grinds and slips out.

I have an issue with 5th gear, as well. From 4th to 5th, with the clutch fully depressed, sometimes the shift catches as it slots into 5th and I feel a slight grind for a split second. As you m/t owners know, it really makes one grit their teeth, I cringe every time i shift into 5th! Would an aftermarket shifter help this issue?

The car's still under warranty but everytime i get a service and mention a flaw about the car they never seem to get it situated.
Go to a different dealership, shop around. Google+ can be invaluable. Don't settle for Yelp.

I did, and I can say the experience I had at the dealership I chose versus the one where I purchased it was completely different.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 AM
RamblinEngineer

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
That's just them blowing you off. Take them for a ride and replicate it for them. Keep after it, don't risk further wear and tear that you could be held responsible for.
Thing is that I just scheduled an installation with MGW for the new race spec short throw shifter. If that fixes the issue then I don't think I will pursuit the issue with the dealership.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:16 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Thing is that I just scheduled an installation with MGW for the new race spec short throw shifter. If that fixes the issue then I don't think I will pursuit the issue with the dealership.
I'd have to agree with you. Shifting is horrible on mine as well, and a new shifter is in my future soon hopefully.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:58 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

If it doesn't, are you going to schedule an un-install to put the original shifter in before you take it back to the dealer? If there's an aftermarket shifter on it, the dealer can just say "hey, you modded it, that probably caused it".

for anyone bringing up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, you literally have to go through 5 steps before having coverage overturned, which could take 6 months. How is that the way to go?

Why not go to a different dealer and have them solve the problem first, if there is one?
Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

I’m happy to get this escalated if you’d like, RamblinEngineer. Just send me the info I requested on the previous post.

Deysha