Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difference between whipple & roush

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:56 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Default difference between whipple & roush

what are the pros and cons of these two 2.3L supercharger?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:38 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

6 of one half dozen of the other.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

It's the same tvs blower. I've installed two roush kits. Good directions and straightforward install. Both brands will make you happy.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
It's the same tvs blower. I've installed two roush kits. Good directions and straightforward install. Both brands will make you happy.
will i see better hp with a custom tune on the roush phase 1 575hp kit? phase 2 625hp is $500 extra with just cai upgrade, doesnt seem worth it if i can get there with a custom tune. btw does the phase 1 kit include a tuner and tune?

Last edited by 13'GT Black; 11-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:57 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Roush is TVS, Whipple is twin screw.
It's all in the lobes. The lobes of both rotors in a TVS are symetrical, in a twin screw they look different, sort of a male and female rotor.

TVS:

Whipple twin screw:

But at the end of the day they are capable of similar performance.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Roush is TVS, Whipple is twin screw.
It's all in the lobes. The lobes of both rotors in a TVS are symetrical, in a twin screw they look different, sort of a male and female rotor.

TVS:

Whipple twin screw:

But at the end of the day they are capable of similar performance.
Thanks for the differentiation.....my bad earlier.

The roush tune will be safe and rich. It leaves a lot on the table. A buddy of mine recently bought brenspeeds b626 kit. It's basically stage 1 with a brenspeed tune. He wanted to keep the stock air box as he was having major rain issues with the vented hood and a previously installed cai. So yes you don't need stage two to achieve bigger results.

Depends who you buy from in terms of tune and tuner. Brenspeed has it as an option. All roush kits do come with a tune though whoever you purchase from.

Last edited by 808muscle; 11-11-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:32 AM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

i was told smaller pulley will be recommanded if i go over 600hp with roush phase 1 85mm pulley. This neccessary?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Mathusula2

Twin screw superchargers are considerably more efficient that roots. See: http://www.allaboutfeed.net/Processi...er-AAF011672W/

Excerpt:
"The ideal compression process from p1 to pe is a reversible adiabatic (i.e. isentropic) process. The theoretical maximum efficiency in case of “Roots” blowers is 76.5% at a pressure ratio of 2, while a tuned screw blower could reach 100%. Due to dynamic losses at inlet and discharge side, leakages and friction, the real compression work is increased, and subsequently the adiabatic efficiency will be reduced. These effects can be taken into account by definition of an energetic efficiency.

The extra compression work for a lobe blower, compared to a screw blower, results in extra heat dissipation (= power loss) and consequently a higher outlet temperature.

Most compressed air applications that use blowers in both industrial and wastewater markets, require a blower that is able to change the delivered air flow. This can be accomplished by cycling the blowers, throttling the suction, adjusting outlet diffuser vanes, or using adjustable speed drives. In most small flow blowers it is the latter that is the preferred choice.

The change in efficiency is a very important issue to understand as most applications do not always need the exact amount of air that is produced when a blower is running at its maximum flow. In this a screw blower maintains a more stable efficiency compared to a lobe blower."
Old 11-14-2014, 08:59 AM
13'GT Black
1st Gear Member

I knew whipple were more powerful/efficient but werent sure since everyone constantly said its the same.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Mathusula2

That information is what drove me to purchase a Whipple (Kenne Bell would have been fine, too). Given that both kits are reasonably similar in price, I figured why not go with the one that is a better basic mechanical design? Lower temps = better power and less stress on the system as a whole.

I would be interested in a good argument for the roots blower being better, because I've never heard one.

Quick Reply: difference between whipple & roush