Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 v6 3rd to 2nd gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:53 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 v6 3rd to 2nd gear grind

When down shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd gear grinds most of the time. Once I get into 2nd gear with the clutch depressed if i wiggle it forward and backward it just grinds grinds grinds until I move the car to neutral.

I am able to reproduce this on basically every 3rd to 2nd downshift no matter the rpm unless the car is going slow like 10mph or lower.

Any thoughts? I'll be making an appointment but it sure is annoying.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Are you rev matching? Giving the gas a little blip so that the RPMs will match what the lower gear will need. If you are, I defer to someone else. I don't see this issue.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:46 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
Are you rev matching? Giving the gas a little blip so that the RPMs will match what the lower gear will need. If you are, I defer to someone else. I don't see this issue.
I am not rev matching.

I've got another issue. When shifting from 3rd to 2nd at low RPMs.. I am able to get the shifter into 2nd no issue but when I let out on the clutch the shifter jumps forward a bit and grinds grinds until it pops out of gear.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Take it to the dealership. They will have to open it up and replace the gear cluster. The t-5 in my fox is doing the same thing due to a bent input shaft, broke syncros, and chipped 2nd gear teeth.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

You NEED to do the rev matching when you downshift unless you are VERY LOW revs. If you're doing maybe 15 - 20 you MIGHT get away without it for the 3 -> 2 shift. It sounds like you're just trying to force it and your tranny won't be happy when you do that.
If you think something is broken, take it in to your dealership.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:26 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

This is not a rev matching issue. you do not need to rev match in order to downshift with a clutch.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:38 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

That totally depends at what RPMs you're downshifting. If you hold the high gear until the revs are way down, no. If you're downshifting at 3k, yeah, I would never just dump it into a lower gear and let the tranny take the beating to force the motor up to 5k (or whatever). Very harsh on your car.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:48 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

^Yes, however the issue is getting it into gear. The trans should not grind when shifting into 2nd with the clutch disengaged. Rev matching doesn't affect shifting, or the fact it wont stay in gear after the clutch is engaged.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by iamzatch
When down shifting from 3rd gear into 2nd gear grinds most of the time. Once I get into 2nd gear with the clutch depressed if i wiggle it forward and backward it just grinds grinds grinds until I move the car to neutral.

I am able to reproduce this on basically every 3rd to 2nd downshift no matter the rpm unless the car is going slow like 10mph or lower.

Any thoughts? I'll be making an appointment but it sure is annoying.
Have you addressed your shifting issue with your Ford Dealer yet, iamzatch?

Deysha
Old 11-14-2014, 09:43 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
^Yes, however the issue is getting it into gear. The trans should not grind when shifting into 2nd with the clutch disengaged. Rev matching doesn't affect shifting, or the fact it wont stay in gear after the clutch is engaged.
PNY you have been very helpful. Can you address this concern:

If I am driving normally in 3rd gear at 2,000 rpm, and I depress the clutch and put the car into neutral and allow the rpms to fall to idle rpms... and while the clutch still depressed should I be able to move the gear shifting **** into 2nd gear with absolutely NO grinding and no issues at all?

I want to take a video of this tomorrow and show you.

Quick Reply: 2014 v6 3rd to 2nd gear grind