Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA Performance Alternator price

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default PA Performance Alternator price

Is the PA Performance Alternator worth the price ($269.00) at American Muscle? I see new alternators at Rock Auto for $150-$185 with lifetime warranty, shipping about $9. Shipping from AM is free.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I bought a chrome plated PA performance alternator from AM and will never do it again. Once I received the alternator it had a problem of overcharging. Thought I could just call AM and they would send me another one. I was told that I had to settle it with PA performance to get my refund. Called those guys and once they finally answered the phone they were no help at all. Ended up buying a alternator off eBay and had no problems with at all. Can't talk about any body else's experience just telling you what happened to me.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

I believe it is worth it.
A while back my car was constantly reading "Check Charging System" on the OSD with no apparent interruption in car operation. I replaced the alternator with a new factory replacement but continued to have the same issue. Finally, I went with the PA Performance (130 Amp) alternator with the Premium Power Wire Kit and have not had any issues since. I would like to think it was a combination of the wire along with the alternator.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:05 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well, I've heard horror stories about OEM alternators, what good is a lifetime warranty if you car breaks down and the alternator has to be replaced every 2 years? Sure, the part is free, but what about the time and hassle?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I got one from auto zone about 4 years ago and have not had any issues
Old 11-16-2014, 03:40 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

i have a PA one and have not had any issues at all with it.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:22 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

There are enough posts about bad customer service from PA performance that I would not buy an alternator from them. If I had to buy a new one, I'd get one locally.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:20 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I bought one of their alternators, and heavy duty wire harnesses along with a bunch of other parts for the built engine I was getting installed. I bought it over a year before before the swap, and had it sitting with everything else, new in the box. When the swap came about, the folks at Brenspeed couldn't get it to work without throwing the check charging system light from coming on. After trying for a long time to get a hold of them, I finally got through. They wouldn't take it back since it had been a while from the purchase date.

They will never have my business again!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
I bought one of their alternators, and heavy duty wire harnesses along with a bunch of other parts for the built engine I was getting installed. I bought it over a year before before the swap, and had it sitting with everything else, new in the box. When the swap came about, the folks at Brenspeed couldn't get it to work without throwing the check charging system light from coming on. After trying for a long time to get a hold of them, I finally got through. They wouldn't take it back since it had been a while from the purchase date.

Amen to that.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron

Why should they take it back if it was outside the warranty period?

Quick Reply: PA Performance Alternator price