Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WINTER WOES

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 AM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Angry WINTER WOES

Hey all, been a while since i posted here.

Something bad happened to me on wednesday, though it very well could've been worse. Hoping someone could give me a recommendation based on experience with a similar issue.

I work at a shop though we have to park off-site and walk to work. I had my winter set on wheels ready to be installed in my trunk/backseat, and went to fetch my car over my lunch break. Wasn't snowing for long, but the ground was slick as ****. On the short drive to my place of work, i ended up fishtailing around a curve i was taking extra cautiously. Basically, lost control, car spun 180 and hit the front passenger side wheel on a short curb pretty hard (thank god it was shorter than normal!) Thankfully, tire took the hit, no damage to the wheel. Got my snows on and driving feels fine, but now there's a slight squeaksqueaksqueak from the front right when making left turns. There's also a slight squeaksqueaksqueak when breaking at a moderate speed. Never noticed any squeaks before so i'm confident they're a result of the crash. I'm getting my brakes done at a mustang specific shop soon (first time changing my brakes since new) and will likely talk to them about it, but just thought i'd get some idea of what i'm dealing with here first.

what are things that need to be changed/looked at? I only found out about the squeak when driving the next day, but the technician took a peek when my wheels were getting changed and said that nothing was wrong visually, axle and steering rack seemed fine, and in fact, everything FEELS fine too.

Thought I should add some additional info, it's a 2008 v6 with 76,000km.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by antipeterleague; 11-22-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:03 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

You actually haul tires in your back seat?

I wouldn't even put one in my trunk.....
Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

prob just coincidence, I wouldn't worry until the new brakes are on...might be a good time to check alignment.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:12 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

I think if you hit that hard and immediate visual inspection showed no signs of damage, it must be something internal.

Hub bearing is my first thought.

If you didn't notice the noise prior to the impact, I would suspect some type of damage.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:55 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking the bearing as well, you can check this by pushing on the top and bottom of the tire and seeing if it moves back and forth. If it does you need a new bearing, or at least to repack the ones you have if they aren't sealed. If they are sealed bearings you will need a whole new hub assembly to my understanding... but I am not exactly sure how much of it can be replaced.
Good luck, and if you didn't realize it yet make sure the tire is off the ground when you check.