Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Mustang warranty advice

Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Default 2015 Mustang warranty advice

Just traded in my 2010 for a new 2015 gt. Got race red premium gt with auto trans(to lazy for a manual). So far it's a nice improvement over the 2010. I'm looking at getting Ford extended warranty for 8 years 75,000 miles. I know a lot of you will say it's not worth it, but for me it's piece of mind. Plus it will force me to keep a car more than 5 years, this is getting expensive. I only drive about 9000 miles a year, short commute to work. The dealer I bought it from is an hour from where I live so I'm guessing they wouldn't give me a good deal on the warranty since I wouldn't be serving the car there. They wanted $2600 for the warranty and came down to $1800. I think $1400 to 1500 is more reasonable. The main reason I want the warranty is because of all the new elctronics in the car plus the new IRS. In the last year I spend about $900 in repairs for my 2010 and it only had 36,000 miles when I traded it in yesterday. I'm actually hoping I never have to use the warranty, I'll still consider it money well spent. I fell if I don't get it soon after the factory is over the repairs will start.

Thanks for any advice given.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Not worth it. Plus you'll still be rolling the extended warranty over into the loan so it will cost you even more. Who's to say you'll still want to keep it bone stock 8 years later?
Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 AM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Not worth it. Plus you'll still be rolling the extended warranty over into the loan so it will cost you even more. Who's to say you'll still want to keep it bone stock 8 years later?
I actually never caught the mod bug. My last mustang was bone stock and I probably would have kept it if wasn't giving me problems. I'm going to pay cash for warranty. I want the warranty so it forces me to keep it at least 8 years. So I'll can have 3 years of no car payments. The payment I'll have now isn't bad though, $380 a month. Didn't get as much as I wanted for my trade but did get $3100 off MSRP so I'm happy overall. If I ever caught the mod bug I'd be in trouble. I really do know how to spend money.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:37 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

As u already stated most of us will tell you no. Generally I think the normal warranty should suffice. Two things I would tell you. Never take an auto loan for 5 years. And never roll an extended warranty into your loan. You should pay cash if you choose to do so. I look at the extended warranty the same as I would buy a say computer. I chose to never buy the warranty for electoronics bc its crap and a great way to make money. Peoples fears are easy to cash in on.

I say no as many others will
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 AM
JimC

On my 2002 Explorer and 2002 Focus for my wife (and her 2005 now that I think about it) we had the Ford ESP extended warranty. Both of us were commuting long distances (and opposite directions from home) so the peace of mind for my wife with the extended warranty was worth it. As far as use, we had several things with both cars that needed attention after the standard warranty was up by the mileage we drove - in fact Ford replaced the rear end on the Explorer at 85,000 miles or so and all I paid was the $50 deductible. So the ESP was worth it for us at that time.

I had it on the 2006 Mustang but cancelled it once I got the mod bug since it wasn't going to be able to be used. Didn't bother with it on the 2013 Mustang either since I knew it would be modified anyway.
And on my wife's Lincoln, now that she is retired, we didn't get it since she isn't on the road as much.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

While this isn't the 2015 Forum I don't they would have a different view than the ones already on this thread.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

It's not a bad idea considering its the first year of a new bodystyle. For how long do you have to buy the Ford extended warranty?
Old 11-23-2014, 04:08 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
It's not a bad idea considering its the first year of a new bodystyle.
+1 The first year of a new body style is almost always going to have problems that are easily overlooked. They do a lot of testing on the new vehicles, but for how long?

I say get it, I think the ext warranty would be worth it.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:11 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
It's not a bad idea considering its the first year of a new bodystyle. For how long do you have to buy the Ford extended warranty?
That's what I was thinking. The electronics on this car are probably costly. You can choose between 5 and 8 years, and up to 125,000 miles. I want 8 years 75,000 miles. Every 5 years I want a new car and this will force me to keep it longer. I don't drive much, short commute and the wife usually drives on the weekend. The 2010 I just traded in only had 36000 miles on it. I really like the new style so I said what the hell and went for it. So far I'm loving it. Just tried the sport driving mode and it was awesome.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

What I meant was, do you have until the duration of the standard warranty to buy the extended warranty or is it instead something like '30 days from purchase' or something like that?

I mean hopefully the car doesn't need warranty work at that point but first model year vehicles can sometimes have funky issues that would usually get ironed out after a couple years of production.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang warranty advice