Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gear Shudder on Take-off, what is cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Default 1st Gear Shudder on Take-off, what is cause?

So this problem just recently started showing up in my 2012 GT w/ MT82. The car has 47K miles. The car shifts smooth and goes into all of the gears the same way that it always has.

The shudder occurs when taking off from a stop in a straight line. It does not occur all of the time. I first noticed it after a 2 hour drive on the freeway, and the shudder occurred when I was near my destination in stop and go traffic. The shudder is only in 1st gear. It also happened again after about an hour drive on the highway and when I got into town stopping at red lights, etc. Once the shudder starts to happen, the only way for it to completely go away is for the car to cool off overnight. After sitting overnight and going for relatively short trips around town there is no shudder. This is all normal daily driving with normal launches.

It is NOT the motor hesitating or dropping RPMs. Could it be brake/clutch fluid needs to be replaced? Maybe heat soaking is causing the fluids to expand? Or my gut feeling, do you think throwout bearing and/or clutch are beginning to go bad?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

My initial guess is wheel-hop. The Coyote is powerful enough to make the GT wheel hop even n 3.31:1 rear gears. Even more so on low traction conditions such as wet roads. I can wheel hop my car on only 3 quarter gas.

For your case, are you taking off pretty hard from stops? Or does your problem exhibit itself even in normal daily driving accelerations?
If you are not driving spiritedly, my first guess is that your rear shocks could be giving our or some bad bushings in the control arms.

This is just my initial guess.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Maybe it's clutch chatter as in the clutch plate is starting to get worn out or the disc is glazed.

Typically starts showing up on take off only then may eventually start showing up under spirited shifting into second or third.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:10 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
My initial guess is wheel-hop. The Coyote is powerful enough to make the GT wheel hop even n 3.31:1 rear gears. Even more so on low traction conditions such as wet roads. I can wheel hop my car on only 3 quarter gas.

For your case, are you taking off pretty hard from stops? Or does your problem exhibit itself even in normal daily driving accelerations?
If you are not driving spiritedly, my first guess is that your rear shocks could be giving our or some bad bushings in the control arms.

This is just my initial guess.

I'm in a v6 and still have the same issue. I've got 3.31 gears... I usually start in 2nd every time. This may be my issue, as I may have worn the clutch down a little. I'm at 20k miles.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:04 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunately , IMO I say it's time for a new clutch !
Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 AM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

Any fluid leaking out of the bell housing? When they get oil on them they chatter too when taking off from a stop.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:15 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Definitely not wheel-hop. I have LCA's w/urethane & Spherical bushings. As I said in my original post, it is happening during normal take-off.

@atomicpunk, good point. I will crawl under the car this weekend to see if there is any fluid leaking or dripping underneath the car.

Thanks for your responses guys. I have never personally driven a car where the clutch was failing or starting to go bad, so it helps to have some others confirm my thoughts about the clutch. I'll just keep driving the car and see how much longer it lasts. Any recommendations for an aftermarket clutch?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-29-2014, 01:13 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If it is wheel hop, which would only happen under decent acceleration, it could be a combination of things. Old tires, bad roadway, cool temps and poor suspension all contribute. With a built suspension, I only really know my tires are done when wheel hop happens. If it none of those things, than it's your clutch.

Tires may not be worn, but when they are old, they get brittle and they don't hook and they hop.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sounds like clutch chatter to me, also. You may be able to reduce it by not feathering the clutch as much as you may be doing now but that's not a fix.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:20 AM
kingstrider
1st Gear Member

The clutch in my old car did something similar a few years ago. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the warning signs and one day it left me stranded on the interstate. That was an expensive fix since I didn't have a garage at the time and it was winter in the middle of finals so had to get the stealership to fix it.

Quick Reply: 1st Gear Shudder on Take-off, what is cause?