Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gear Shudder on Take-off, what is cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 08:31 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingstrider
The clutch in my old car did something similar a few years ago. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the warning signs and one day it left me stranded on the interstate. That was an expensive fix since I didn't have a garage at the time and it was winter in the middle of finals so had to get the stealership to fix it.

what was the problem? Was the clutch warn out? Problem in the transmission?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Sounds like clutch chatter to me, also. You may be able to reduce it by not feathering the clutch as much as you may be doing now but that's not a fix.
Does clutch chatter mean that it is close to being completely worn out, or could it just be glazed?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Maybe it's clutch chatter as in the clutch plate is starting to get worn out or the disc is glazed.
What he said.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
Does clutch chatter mean that it is close to being completely worn out, or could it just be glazed?
could be either or both but at 50K miles it is possible he OEM clutch is worn out. If you get in there now, you avoid destroying the flywheel or worse, grenading the disc/plate and causing other issues.

There's an inspection plate under the tranny where you can see the ring gear and maybe part of the flywheel. Take a look. Any bluing on the flywheel means the disc is probably glazed. Any scoring or gouges means the rivets on the disc are starting to grind the flywheel.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by BrazenStang
So this problem just recently started showing up in my 2012 GT w/ MT82. The car has 47K miles. The car shifts smooth and goes into all of the gears the same way that it always has.

The shudder occurs when taking off from a stop in a straight line. It does not occur all of the time. I first noticed it after a 2 hour drive on the freeway, and the shudder occurred when I was near my destination in stop and go traffic. The shudder is only in 1st gear. It also happened again after about an hour drive on the highway and when I got into town stopping at red lights, etc. Once the shudder starts to happen, the only way for it to completely go away is for the car to cool off overnight. After sitting overnight and going for relatively short trips around town there is no shudder. This is all normal daily driving with normal launches.

It is NOT the motor hesitating or dropping RPMs. Could it be brake/clutch fluid needs to be replaced? Maybe heat soaking is causing the fluids to expand? Or my gut feeling, do you think throwout bearing and/or clutch are beginning to go bad?
Have you address this shudder concern with your Ford Dealer, BrazenStang? Be sure to speak with your service manager about this, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 12-10-2014, 04:17 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Possibly oil on the clutch
Old 12-10-2014, 10:05 AM
WJBertrand
2nd Gear Member

I've had this problem before with other cars. Curing it requires a clutch replacement. Also fit a new flywheel, don't just machine yours. Refinishing the old one never seems to last very long before the shudder/chatter returns.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Possibly oil on the clutch
The only way you're gonna get oil on the clutch is from a leaking rear main crank seal, and that'll find its way out of the bellhousing as drops on the pavement.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
The only way you're gonna get oil on the clutch is from a leaking rear main crank seal, and that'll find its way out of the bellhousing as drops on the pavement.
Yeah, and I have no oil spots on the ground. I still need to get under the car and really look around, but I am highly doubting that it is oil on the clutch. Especially since it only occurs after a highway drive.

Deysha, realistically, what would my dealer do for me if they can replicate the issue? Tell me I need a new clutch and then give me a hefty bill for a new clutch? It wouldn't be covered under any warranties, would it? Calling ford just sounds like a waste of time.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

I had the exact same issue, like 100% exactly the same, and it wound up just needing the differential to be serviced, which I think cost about 200 dollars.

Which makes some sense, though I'm not 100% mechanically inclined, the gears in the rear end do spin in relationship to the driveshaft due to friction/interaction between the fluid and clutch packs.

Obviously when you're stopped, there is more work (force * distance, hah) required to make the vehicle move, whereas when you're already moving, you have inertia working in your favor, so even if it does shudder, you may not be able to notice it.

Anyway, mine happened around the same mileage (53,000).

Quick Reply: 1st Gear Shudder on Take-off, what is cause?