Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 MT82 with 14k miles warranty VOIDED, dealer extorting me for $2k in fees

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

That really sucks! If what you say is true, I'd consider filing a suit in the small claims court.
They would have seen metal when they drained the trans fluid, and not spent more than 30 minutes to let you know your trans was trashed. I'd also make sure you get every single part and ground up piece of trans back from the dealer, especially the "good" second gear syncro. I'd send the request in writing for the parts-registered mail-signature required. If I had the dealers owner address-I'd send it to his house. I'd also require a statement on how they ran up a $2,000 bill. That trans should take less than two hours to pull out, $2K is close to an entire repair bill.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
Well First off, NHTSA got a total of 32 complains, not hundreds, none of which pertain to the circumstances your posting about. They got complains about difficult shifting in cold weather, and the clutch stayout condition above 4,000 RPM. Both of which resulted in TSBs being issued.

Secondly, to have a transmission chew up a synchro within 14,000 miles, there absolutely had to be some sort of abuse. Whether that was you, or someone who test drove the car before you bought it, no one can know.

Thirdly, if you plan on accusing someone of something, you had better be prepared to prove it, because if the statement is provable, and public, but there is no evidence to support it, you can and will be sued for libel/defamation.

Fourthly, why would you take your car in for repairs without having some money saved up for such a situation? I wouldn't even think of taking my car in without at least 3k set aside just in case something were to happen, but hey, that's just me.

For future reference, when you take your car anywhere, you need a written estimate that clearly describes every action the dealership is authorized to take on your behalf, with the associated cost. When they call you with news, you need to document everything they said, and take the persons name, with time and date. If you can, record the call, for exactly this type of situation.

If you had a recording of everything you say the foreman said, a written initial estimate, and documentation of everything, it would take a single call to FoMoCo or the State Attorney General to have their position reversed.

As you sit now, there's really not much you can do outside of saving up the 2k, or more reasonably the 6100, and paying for the new transmission.

Private companies are not required to prove anything regarding abuse, you are not innocent until proven guilty, in their eyes, except regarding statutes such as the one regarding modifications.

Here's a quote from Edmunds to illustrate my point
Hi, I appreciate your response.

The NHTSA, during their investigation, uncovered 300+ unique reports about the MT82, my source is here: http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...-transmission/

The synchro is supposedly not damaged now after I was told it was. In reality it seems 2nd gear broke apart in the transmission.

In regards to your claim I am going to be liable for libel/defamation, if you notice I haven't named the dealer and only Ford Motor Company. People claim things about Ford Motor Company all the time, Ford doesn't just sue people out of the blue for being upset about a warranty issue.

I took the car into the dealer for an issue I deemed to be warrantable, thus, not requiring such an extreme emergency assets for my protection.

I appreciate your suggestions about the recordings and dates and things, certainly learned some stuff with this situation.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:20 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Power/Speed Shifting, Clutchless Shifting (matching rev's and not touching the clutch), Grinding Gears (like someone who doesn't know how to drive stick).

Like I said, maybe while the car was at the dealer, someone who didn't know how to drive stick test-drove the car and screwed something up that took a while to degrade enough to be noticeable by the OP.
I would like to comment just for the record that I ordered this car direct from the factory and nobody outside of me has driven the car.

I've never power shifted, clutch-less shifted and very rarely ground the gears.

Also, don't forget that in 2011 they re-introduced the Event Data Recorder, which records

I'm not trying to be a d*ck, but if the FSE says it's been abused, he probably has a preponderance of evidence to say that.
I also am aware of the Event Data Recorder, and I am absolutely certain that if they looked at it they would see the car hasn't been abused in the manor they are suggesting. I feel like no due diligence has been taken in this situation, no thoughts put toward the possibility of a mechanical failure, no investigation what so ever.

I don't even have the opportunity to have a third party look at it. That's the irritating thing about the issue.

I appreciate your comments they are eye opening for me.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:17 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Since the trans is apparently "junk" in the words of the dealer. Go in there demand your car and everything but the trans. And tell them go screw off about the cost to rebuild the trans and that they can keep that part.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:13 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Since the trans is apparently "junk" in the words of the dealer. Go in there demand your car and everything but the trans. And tell them go screw off about the cost to rebuild the trans and that they can keep that part.
That was my initial thought- however I have a feeling they're trying to extort me for more money by telling me the transmission needs to be replaced entirely.

Maybe it just needs some new parts, and can be rebuilt and I can move on with my life.

At this point I just want a resolution, I just want my car back and fixed.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:04 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iamzatch
That was my initial thought- however I have a feeling they're trying to extort me for more money by telling me the transmission needs to be replaced entirely.

Maybe it just needs some new parts, and can be rebuilt and I can move on with my life.

At this point I just want a resolution, I just want my car back and fixed.
How long did you go with the problem you identified in the other thread? I.e. where the gears were grinding every time you went into second gear from 3rd?
Old 11-29-2014, 07:30 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

How long did you go with the problem you identified in the other thread? I.e. where the gears were grinding every time you went into second gear from 3rd?
The first time there was a record of the problem was two weeks ago when I brought it in. Once again my mistake. I feel like I've had the problem for about 6 months and it has gotten progressively worse.

Eventually it got to a point where I can reproduce the issue, grinding in 2nd gear with the clutch depressed fully... and so I brought it in.

At this point I just want to get the car back in my possession and save some money to get the transmission rebuilt. This situation has just worn me down so much its taking a toll on my stress levels and stuff.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:52 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I can't say I very much experience with warranties, but I kinda think you might be screwed... But there is hope.
I would bet that you are going to have to cover the labor of diagnosing the problem because unless you can document otherwise you agreed to do it when you dropped the car off.
My one warranty issue, the clutch and cruise control bracket broke at something like 8k miles, was covered, but I had to agree to pay the diagnosing cost if the warranty wasn't going to cover the fix. I knew it would cover it so I agreed and I ended up with a new part, a car to rent for the day, and a car wash. Apparently the bracket broke when they tried to install it, so they had to get a 2nd replacement part but didn't charge me anything for all the work they did. I did have a deposit for the rental car but that was returned.

The good news is that even though they took the car apart, you don't have to pay them to fix anything. IF they don't cover the transmission under warranty it shouldn't cost $2000. at $100 labor that means they spent 20 hours working on it. That is a lot of time to pull a transmission apart and see a bad gear or anything. I had a transmission pulled, clutch and flywheel reinstalled, and tranny put back in and it took me, a very inexperienced mechanic at the time, about 12 hours. Had I realized that there were 3 different bolt lengths on the tranny, and had I not pinched wires when reinstalling, it would have taken me about 8 hours so I call BS on them charging you that much money for a diagnosis. With my current experience and a friend's help I could probably have your transmission out, diagnosed, and reinstalled in less than 10 hours. You might be able to negotiate that price down to something more reasonable as well, but like others said you need to be nice about it. It sounds like the service manager might agree with you, but has had his hands tied by the FSE guy.

Another thought I had was that if they want $6000 for a new transmission you can get a Tremec T56 Magnum xl with everything you need for less than that. You will still have a warranty on the new tranny either way, but this way you can know for sure that it isn't going to break with daily driving. This is something that could possibly be done in your garage if you have enough tools and tall enough jack stands, and honestly it isn't that hard to do, so that can save you money as well. While this is a lot of money that you don't have it might pay off in the long run.

Well those are my thoughts, hope it helps or at least gives you ideas on something you can do.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 PM
kingstrider
1st Gear Member

That definitely sucks. I would likely raise all kinds of hell that they tore apart the transmission and are trying to fork you with a $6k bill for repair. Screw that, get the car back and put another trans in yourself. This kind of **** isn't that hard and you can find a used trans for under $1k.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:19 AM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

One thing about the $2k - it doesn't matter how long it actually took them to do the work. All that matters is what the Ford book says it should take in man hours to do the work.

Regarding 6k for a transmission - it may be cheaper to tow it as-is to another shop & have a rebuilt put in.

Regardless I wish you the best of luck.

Quick Reply: 2014 MT82 with 14k miles warranty VOIDED, dealer extorting me for $2k in fees