Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 MT82 with 14k miles warranty VOIDED, dealer extorting me for $2k in fees

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 PM
berzerk_1980

Well that's why I asked the question, because it's not really clear to me what's meant by abuse.

My understanding, and what I meant by "bounce away" is that the rev limiter/fuel cut off is generally set lower than the engine's mechanical limitations, at least in other cars I've owned in the past. So abuse to me would require defeating the rev limiter, either by a calibration change or "the money shift."

Am I wrong? If so, in all cases, or just Mustangs?

I thought I was already paying attention, not sure what I missed.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Well that's why I asked the question, because it's not really clear to me what's meant by abuse.

My understanding, and what I meant by "bounce away" is that the rev limiter/fuel cut off is generally set lower than the engine's mechanical limitations, at least in other cars I've owned in the past. So abuse to me would require defeating the rev limiter, either by a calibration change or "the money shift."

Am I wrong? If so, in all cases, or just Mustangs?

I thought I was already paying attention, not sure what I missed.
Have you read the original article about the Coyote Engine?

When they first plopped the engine into the S197 chassis, there had been ZERO work done on the ECU. The car wouldn't even start, the only place the engine had run was on the dyno, where the dyno cell had all the software to run the engine, which was running at pretty much WOT the entire time, and the tuning for that is ridiculously simple (well, much simpler than drivability).

It took them 1.5 years to tune the car for drivability. At some points, they weren't sure if they could even make it stable at 7,000RPM. At some points they considered dropping the limit to 6,000 to avoid the tuning headache.

When you bounce off the limiter, it cuts of fuel but the air is still there. That's by definition a lean condition. What do lean conditions make possible? Detonation, or in other words, catastrophic engine failure.

Ultimately, the engine isn't tuned to go above 7,000RPM, and it's artificially being leaned out AT 7,000RPM. Keep bouncing and you will destroy the engine.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 PM
berzerk_1980

Cool, so it's a Coyote thing. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The OP's problem isn't the engine but the transmission.
The ads and press releases always boast about the Mustang's performance and videos show the car being driven hard like it's meant to be driven but, in the real world, you're only allowed to drive like Miss Daisy and keep it wrapped in cotton wool while the car is under warranty.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Well, you can do anything under warranty that you would do out of warranty. You also get to fix it the same way... out of pocket.

OP, I know none of this is helping you. Any updates on your situation?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
Well, you can do anything under warranty that you would do out of warranty. You also get to fix it the same way... out of pocket.

OP, I know none of this is helping you. Any updates on your situation?
I'm glad you asked. I wrote a letter to a few executives at Ford Corporate last weekend (~8 days ago). On Tuesday I called the dealer and asked what amount of money they wanted if I could take the car then, I explained my financial situation, and for once the service manager actually seemed compassionate. He came back and said I could tow the car off and get the parts in a box for $275 or so. Finally something reasonable...

10 minutes after that phone conversation he called me back saying he received a phone call from Ford Corporate asking if the car was still there so they could come out and take another look at it. He asked if they could keep the car there a few days to which I obliged.

Now a week later I called this morning and while Ford was out last week, they reported the findings to Corporate yet Corporate has yet to make a decision of any type. They haven't communicated anything to the dealer and the dealer just wants me to wait.

Today is the 3rd week without my vehicle. This situation is just mind blowing to me, the number of inconsistencies with my situation, the questionable professionally of all of the people involved. Every time I have to call the dealer I end up shaking for an hour after the call due to the anxiety and nerves I've built up over this situation. Forgetting the actually warranty problem in the first place there is no transparency in this situation at all, nobody has answers for me, nobody can do anything, its quite ridiculous.

I love my Mustang but wow has this situation put a sour taste in my mouth. My family has been a Ford family for three generations, but all of them have been following this situation closely with me. It is unlikely Ford will see another purchase from anyone in my blood line anytime soon.

If I don't receive a resolution by Friday I'm just going to pay the $275 and tow the car and park it in my garage until I have the money to get the transmission rebuilt.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
You and he are more than welcome to continue living above your means, I prefer to continue living well within mine. Sorry my parents taught me to be socially responsible, don't know what to tell you there.

Pro Tip: If it takes 3 years to save up for something, it's out of your budget. BTW, there are literally thousands of articles online confirming this, here's the first one I could find on google.
You're very careful and that's commendable.

I was taught that the car you can afford to finance should be 1/3rd of your gross salary. With anywhere from 10% to 20% down and and a minimal Credit rating of 720.

That said. A lot of people might very well be purchasing a car beyond their means ...depending on the trim level.

BUT... with that car being new.... and the driver being responsible to not race or track the car, then the subject of abuse... without supporting evidence is the opinion of the FSE. Not something to be taken as fact. Not unless that FSE can say records show here from the CPU data that the RPM levels exceeded tolerance levels for a given amount of time on such a date and without question would cause this type of failure.

The ECU data does records peaks. and maintains that history. So if there was an RPM peak that exceeded given tolerance levels.... ..

BUT, knowing that FORD puts safety into their engineering... I find it hard to believe that the programming at OEM levels would allow the car to rev above the redline without cutting the power and dropping out before anything can be damaged. I've experienced this myself prior to custom computer tuning.

The dealer should have just facilitated a warranty repair. And the FSE should have produced supporting evidence to back his claim. Otherwise... this dealer is just flakey or the assigned mechanic is trying to make a stink about it to set the bar for his piers. Either way... this dealer sucks.

my 2 cents
---
Old 12-08-2014, 01:00 PM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I was taught that the car you can afford to finance should be 1/3rd of your gross salary. With anywhere from 10% to 20% down and and a minimal Credit rating of 720.
So I would need a salary of $128,000/yr to be able to "afford" my $42,700 Mustang.

Yeah right! I did have 20% down and a CR of 812 though.

The trouble with one-size-fit-all formulas is that they rarely do.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:44 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

stop worrying about how other people spend their money.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

No....It's better to not spend 25k that you don't have on a car that you don't need. A 2,000 dollar beater that he could afford would be EXACTLY as useful as his car was before it went to the shop.
So you were born with an unlimited supply of money? Probably not, which means at some point you had to save up to buy something. Which by your reasoning means you couldn't afford it and had no reason to buy it. That or mommy and daddy buy everything you have, Which I don't think is the case.

I could easily afford payments on a mclaren, that doesn't mean I can afford a mclaren
Actually that means you could afford one, you just have better things to spend your hard earned money on.

Quick Reply: 2014 MT82 with 14k miles warranty VOIDED, dealer extorting me for $2k in fees