Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust, Headers, what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:09 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust, Headers, what do I need to know?

So I'm looking into exhaust and/or headers for my 07mustang GT.

My goals are: (1) to add a little more power and (2) to create a low throaghty rumble, I DO NOT WANT anything loud or obnoxious, just a nice low rumble to the car, something subtle, but with a little more kick than the stock X-pipe.

What are you guys thoughts/opinions? Total noob here, so all advice is appreciated, thanks!

Also, is tuning a part of this process? Do i need to break out the tuner and retune the engine computer as part of an exhaust/header change?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Do you have an axle back already? Any particular headers you're looking at? Doing the install yourself or sending it to a shop?

I love mine, LT's really change the sound of the 4.6. With the headers the exhaust is really bassy and sounds awesome, plus I could feel the power difference.

Be forewarned though that headers, even with a catted midpipe, will be pretty loud. I've heard some people have kept their stock mufflers for a fairly agreeable sound level. Most axle backs are designed to sound good with stock cats, which means that once those are gone they're pretty loud. But you can't go wrong with the sound of headers, an H pipe, and chambered mufflers IMO
Old 12-10-2014, 06:34 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

LT headers will give u a great power bump. dont mess with shorty headers.

IMO what opens up the volume the most is when u go from a catted midpipe to an offroad midpipe. This can kinda make it hard to get LT headers because u need a "shorty" midpipe which usually doesnt have catatlytic converters. idk how u would want to go about this.???

I do know that when i had LT headers>offroad H pipe> stock mufflers that my exhaust was not deep or grumbly. Period. I switched to MAC mufflers and now its loud and honestly i dont think it can be much deeper. sounds great. If i were to put resonator tips or muffler delete tips on, it wouldnt be enjoyable.

but if u think u may not want to spend the money of LT headers then that just leaves more money for a more costly set of axle-backs
i would say get some borla ataks if this is ur route or possibly some corsas

Also resonator style axle backs wouldnt be out of the question if u keep the cats. wouldnt be too loud.

so in summary, dont get Offroad pipe cause itll be too loud for u. LT is preferred but not necessary and a chambered muffler or resonator tip style is ok for this project.

if u want LT headers and/or an offroad pipe, then YES u have to get a retune.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You may have to put on different motor mounts with the LTs. Not hard to do so you can skip this step if you want and try without.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra

My goals are: (1) to add a little more power and (2) to create a low throaghty rumble, I DO NOT WANT anything loud or obnoxious, just a nice low rumble to the car, something subtle, but with a little more kick than the stock X-pipe.

What are you guys thoughts/opinions?
If you want power, you're only going to get it by upgrading the front half of the exhaust i.e. headers/midpipe. Shorties will yield 3-5hp if installed alone with the stock midpipe, 6-8hp with a catted midpipe, and 11-13hp with an offroad midpipe. LTs will yield ~16hp with a catted midpipe and ~18hp with an offroad midpipe.
Headers (long tube or shorty) are a PITA to install so make sure you get good quality headers that'll last the lifetime of the car so you'd only have to install them once. They'll add a throaty rumble to the sound even if the rear half of the system is stock, and with the stock mufflers there'll be no drone.
If you get an offroad midpipe, sound levels will increase and you'll also need a tune to disable the downstream O2 sensors. If you get LT headers, you'll need to have the tune modified to prolong the upstream O2 sensor warm-up time if they've been relocated further away from the engine.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

FWIW I did my install myself, it's not that bad, just takes time.

Also I did not swap out motor mounts but mine were in good shape, and I have lots of clearance around the steering shaft.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra

What are you guys thoughts/opinions? Total noob here, so all advice is appreciated, thanks!

Also, is tuning a part of this process? Do i need to break out the tuner and retune the engine computer as part of an exhaust/header change?
It sounds like you should just stick to an axle back exhaust. Axleback won't add any additional HP, but you can get that with other bolt-ons. Plus, axleback is easy to change and makes a big impact with no need for a tune.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

hmmmmm, it sounds like you guys are saying that the power increase comes from the headers and the midpipe, and exhaust more just changes the tone a little.

So if I go with longtube headers I can get more power and a little "bassier" tone?

I have the X-pipe, and whatever exhaust comes stock on the 07GTpremium.

Could I keep my x-pipe and exhaust? I guess the x-pipe would have to change to accompany headers?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

If you're not doing the install yourself you have to decide if the cost of the headers plus labor is worth it to you.

The headers made mine bassier, I dunno. Just going from a high flow catted H pipe, to LT's with a high flow catted H and the same mufflers, it's definitely deeper, at least at idle.

And no most likely you would not be able to keep your X pipe.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

How about this, just change out ur mufflers with some aftermarket chambered mufflers and see how u like the tone and go from there. it may be all ur looking for. no power but it may satisfy u. If u get a good set, i can guarantee a smile on ur face everytime u start ur car.

Quick Reply: Exhaust, Headers, what do I need to know?