Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air RIDE? Recommended systems? Other requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Wattacar
1st Gear Member

Default Air RIDE? Recommended systems? Other requirements?

Very interested in an air ride setup for my 2010 gt convertible. I've seen a fair amount of people with the Airlift system but know there are others out there too! The goods, the bads and the ugly!

My car is definitely more show then go and would like to have an air set up in car for our next big show in Feb. Not sure if any vendors offer sponsorship opportunities? Not looking for anything free. But very happy to promote for some help on a system.

Car suspension is currently just lowered on springs but I already have a new sway bar set up, new control arms and panhard bar ready to go into the car. I welcome all constructive feedback. Members and vendors are also welcome to contact me via PM or email supermanx68@hotmail.com
thanks so much. J
Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

What is your intended goal / purpose from this new set up?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 AM
Wattacar
1st Gear Member

I do a fair amount of shows and always looking for something different that'll set my car off from others. I've always thought the air ride added a real sharp look and there's nothing like seeing someone's face after pulling into a spot and "dropping it". Plus I like the added benefit of the adjustability! Especially with having a sloped driveway and a drive on hoist like I do. If I go any lower then I am now I will have to use plywood to get on my lift. The car will never see a track or strip... Though I've heard the air could be a benefit there too. Long story short... Looking for style and "cool factor" and improve a bit of the ride..
Old 12-12-2014, 11:03 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Saw this in the Parts For Sale forum the other day...

Slew of S197 Performance Parts-pic warning- Virginia

He's got an Air Ride setup for sale.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I recently installed a full Air Lift Performance AutoPilot V2 kit on my car, so I'll give you my take on all of this-

My 2011 5.0 is a daily driver. It's my do-it-all car. It ran 10.89 @ 128 at PBIR (in full street trim at 3870lbs). It actually has a full HANDLING suspension setup, and has been pushed to the limits at Sebring International Raceway. (TrackGuys bumped me up to the Solo run group this year. It was awesome!) At the same time, I take my kids to school in it every day. I needed performance WITHOUT sacrificing drivability.

I was previously on Koni Yellows with Eibach Pro Kit springs. I was satisfied with the performance and ride quality, but I wanted MOAR LOWWWW! I researched the air bag setups on the market and I zeroed in on Air Lift Performance because it required less modification to the car than the other kit I looked at. I talked to several people who daily drive on Air Lift and they reported no reliability issues, even on cars driven in freezing temps during the winter. I began a dialogue with Jeremy Hart at Air Lift and we settled on a test drive at the Carlisle Ford Nationals. The Air Lift demo Mustang is a 3V GT with a Vortech. It has the same Baer 6P brakes I'm running, and even has the same size 20x10 rims at all four corners. So other than horsepower (mine makes more), it was a good apples to apples comparison. When I hopped in the driver's seat, the ride height was very similar to my Eibach Pro Kit drop. But the ride quality was OUTSTANDING. My car was stiff over rough surfaces, but the Air Lift car at the same height was very smooth, which kept the car planted as I pushed it hard on a highway ramp. (my car would've skipped over the bumps and gotten out of shape) I asked Jeremy how low could we go and still drive. He dropped it another inch (a hair lower than the Eibach Sportline drop) and I continued to drive. The car was STILL much smoother than my car, at a lower height! I was sold.

I installed the system on my 5.0, and I'm daily driving on it now. Being a daily driver, kidmobile, and grocery getter, I didn't want to use up any trunk space. Here's how I installed the system in the spare tire well:

Name:  SFtrunk_zpsf5be75f6.jpg
Views: 7056
Size:  133.1 KB

My car came with a spare, but it didn't fit over the Baer brakes so I ditched it.

Here's the ride height I drive around on. It's lower than my Koni/Eibach setup was, but the ride quality is still good:

Name:  SFatrideheight_zps0e569034.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  154.7 KB

There are 8 Pre Sets in the handheld controller. This isn't "all the way up", but it's the height I use for clearing obstacles. (like pulling into this gravel lot)

Name:  sfraisedup_zps88ea5bde.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  81.1 KB

And now the money shots:

Name:  SFALforforgeline_zps6d0306de.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  SFLRALJPG_zps989b1e6b.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  96.5 KB

Here's the important part-

I'm all about performance. I wanted a system which would still be good for drag racing and road racing, not just "stance". The Air Lift dampers are 30-way adjustable. If you run the shocks medium and the struts soft, then raise the car up to a reasonable level, you have a setup which works well on the drag strip. My friend Jeff Scofield just ran 9.50s in the quarter mile with Air Lift on his GT500. I plan to take a shot at the 9-second zone in mine soon. However, I'm more of a handling guy. One pleasant surprise for me was that the Air Lift dampers go WAY stiffer than the Koni Yellows. (which is ironic, since I've heard people complain that the Yellows are too stiff) I drive around with the Air Lift dampers at full stiff, and it corners nice and flat! (I'm also on full suspension, including Eibach swaybars)

In conclusion, the Air Lift Performance Auto Pilot V2 has excellent ride quality, works well on the drag strip, handles amazingly well, and is plenty reliable. Really the only drawback (if you want to call it that) is the money. It's not INexpensive, but in my opinion it is a good value. MAP is $3150, which isn't much more than brand name coilovers. (and they don't give you ride height adjustment on the fly)

http://www.uprproducts.com/airlift-a...ustang-05.html
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

what Sharad said.

The setup from Airlift is amazing
Old 12-18-2014, 07:36 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Did you need to make any adjustments to the differential angle?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Steve@CJPP
Former Sponsor

Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

I installed the Airrex system on my car. A great system, feels fantastic to drive around in. I've got a picture here of my car and some more detailed info:

Ford AirREX Air Struts and Optional Digital Management System

Pictured above is the AirREX Digital Air Management System. This system is fully assembled and leak tested, within a 30"x12"x10.5" composite wood enclosure, pre-set up, ready for installation. The kit includes a 2.4GHz wireless remote control with three presets. Within the enclosure is a Viair 380C Compressor, which is capable of up to 205PSI. Attached to the compressor is a 3 gallon stainless steel air tank. Also included is a USB cable, power wire kit, and cig lighter adapter.

Digital Air Management System Info (optional)

Fully assembled and leak tested, 30"x12"x10.5" composite wood enclosure
2.4GHz wireless remote controller with 3 pressure based presets
Viair 380C Compressor
3 Gallon Stainless Steel Air Tank
Backup Controller Included
Power Wire Kit, USB cable, and cigarette lighter adapter included

Big benefit to this kit over other kits is that the air management system is all pre-sealed in a box ready to throw in the trunk right away. No need for custom fitments, the installation is significantly cut by having everything ready to be plugged up to. A normal airbag install can take upwards of 10-15hours to install, plus the additional time to fabricate it all to make it look nice in the trunk. A system like this you'll spend a bit more up front for having it already pre-sealed, BUT the installation time is significantly decreased, with the lack of having it needed to be custom made to your specs. You can then always take them out of the box, and make your own custom set up later down the road.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:29 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Did you need to make any adjustments to the differential angle?
I car was slammed before I installed the Air Lift kit. The height I drive around on is pretty close to where it was before, so I didn't readjust the pinion angle.

Quick Reply: Air RIDE? Recommended systems? Other requirements?