Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Door Handle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:45 PM
On The Internet

Default Exterior Door Handle Replacement

Hello

I decided to replace my driver's side door handle because the color was fading and I could feel the paint chips coming off on the back side.

Removing and replacing the 2005 Ford Mustang handle requires basic technical skills and a few basic tools. It took me 2 hours; however, I took pictures and surfed the web on the subject and quickly gave up. If you've done some car work before, this job should take you 1-2 hours and only needs 1 person. If you are a large person, this may be more difficult as access to space inside the door is challenging.

The new driver's side door handle I bought from FordParts.com and cost me $74.91 total. I decided to buy the passenger side handle for $64.85 total. The parts are pre-painted and blend well with the car's paint. Better than the faded handles.

To remove the door panel, see my post ( https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-slow-fix.html )

To remove the door handle you will need the following tools:
  • Small Pliers (angled tip pliers may be more helpful
  • Long thin flathead screwdriver
  • Short 10mm socket
  • deep well 10mm socket or small 10mm wrench
  • Low profile ratchet

A small telescopic mirror may help too.

Place the window in the up position.

After the door card (interior panel) is removed pull back the plastic door cover on the left side of the door (right side if passenger door).

A rod that connects the door handle to the door's latch must be disconnected. Leave the rod connecting from the lock to the door latch connected.

To disconnect the door handle / latch rod, locate the plastic yellow rod clasp on the latch mechanism. This yellow clasp is mounted to a metal lever arm on the latch. The yellow clasp mounts to the lever arm by having a flared plastic end fit through a hole on the lever arm. To dislodge this clasp, use pliers and a flathead screwdriver to pull this off. This should disconnect with little force. See pictures.

After the rod clasp is dislodged from the latch lever arm, disconnect it on the door handle end. On this end it looks like a candy cane so only maneuvering of the rod is needed to disconnect it from the handle.

A 10mm bolt should be exposed between the door lock and the door handle lever. Use a short 10mm socket and ratchet to remove the bolt.

At the forward end of the handle there is a double sided bolt with a fixed nut in the center. Use a deep well socket or small 10mm wrench to remove this bolt.

From inside the door, push the handle outward near the end with the lock. At this end the handle has a lip inside the door that needs to be taken care of first.

From outside the door, pull the handle (like you were opening the door) and rotate it up towards the sky. With a little finagling you should be able to remove the handle.

Install your new handle and do everything in reverse.

Stern side handle mount. Bolt and Rod removed.

Door latch lever arm with hole. Connects to clasp on rod.

Rod with clasp. Notice the flared plastic.

Bow side handle mount

Stern side handle mount. Bolt connected, rod removed.

Rod with clasp. Mounted to door latch lever arm.

Long screwdriver going through small access cut to apply leverage on the rod clasp for removal.

Removing the Rod from the door latch's lever arm

view of how clasp is held to door latch lever arm