Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall 2005-2008 Mustangs--driver air bag

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Or it was taken to auction and sold to be chopped up as a parts car.

There are lots of reasons why a vehicle doesn't get re-registered after being sold/traded.
This is true. But surprising since we are talking about more than one late model vehicle. MOst of the ones I see heading to Mexico are older / beat up cars. The cars I traded in were late model, low mileage, above average condition.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

While my car was at the dealer for a free inspection and oil change, they had the recall part in stock so they did that too. Glad I could get it all done at one time!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:04 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

How long did it take them to perform the recall work?
Old 12-30-2014, 01:31 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
How long did it take them to perform the recall work?
They said about 30 minutes extra. I had already waited for an hour for the inspection and oil change as well as tire rotation. At least I won't have to make another appointment.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:56 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
They said about 30 minutes extra. I had already waited for an hour for the inspection and oil change as well as tire rotation. At least I won't have to make another appointment.
That's great, 07 Stang! Thanks for the update!

Deysha
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Paratrooper34

Took my 2005 in to the dealer yesterday for the recall work. Said they needed to order parts which should be in next week. There was also another recall for the passenger side which will be done at the same time.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

My dealer in VA said they also needed to get more parts. It sounds like they are also waiting on the passenger side recall and need to determine which cars are affected. (So some cars may need drivers side but not passenger side I guess).
Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I don't see how that could be. If we sold a vehicle (only a few years old) to a dealer as a trade for a new vehicle - how could it not be registered by someone else? The dealer sold these vehicles to someone and they would have registered it unless they were taken to Mexico.
Or, the state law mandates that a certain number of previous owners (say the last one and the current one) get notified about the car in the event there is a notice for it that is attached to the VIN registration history.

I sold my 2000 V6er in 2008. In 2013 my parents got a call and letter sent to their house (last registered address from me with that car) by the California DMV that it had been towed and had a lien on it now because the owner hadn't claimed it. I had the option to pay the $675 tow bill plus 73 days of storage expenses and the car was mine or, let it go for auction. I let it go. It's different than a recall, but it was tied to the VIN and registration history of the car.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevsgt
My dealer in VA said they also needed to get more parts. It sounds like they are also waiting on the passenger side recall and need to determine which cars are affected. (So some cars may need drivers side but not passenger side I guess).
Yeah, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Apparently the passenger side air bag recall they are talking about now is not the recall from several years ago.

I made an appointment with my dealer to have the driver side recall done on Monday. They said to allow half a day! That's a heck of a difference between the half-hour that was posted here. Then again, maybe it's lack of experience, they don't want to promise something they can't deliver, or both. My dealer said they had only done one or two of the recalls. Great. I love having my car used as a guinea pig.

I telephoned Ford customer service. They were useless. They said to just go by what the dealer said. It's difficult for me to comprehend that with a recall involving about half a million vehicles, there isn't something available as to how long the work should take. I guess I'll find out on Monday how long my dealer takes.

Here's the thing that makes me wonder about another recall for the passenger air bag. The Ford customer service rep said that my recall was only for the driver air bag at this time. In my mind, that leaves open the distinct possibility of a future recall for the passenger side.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I just found out my car is on the recall list. It's up on jackstands now, and covered up for the winter so I'll be waiting until spring to get this done. Hopefully by then the back log for the parts will have cleared up some.

Quick Reply: Recall 2005-2008 Mustangs--driver air bag