Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Rear spoiler and plastidip question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default 2014 Rear spoiler and plastidip question

Hey guys early Merry Christmas

I had a quick question. How easy is it to take off a 2014 factory spoiler? I don't have a picture I apologize, but it is the normal option spoiler, about an inch high. The previous owner plastidip it, (he did a good job at least) but if it was easy to take off I would put it back to the stock paint. Some of the plastidip is peeling in like two places, so thats another reason.

On a slightly related note, if y'all have experience with plastidip (I know it might be a controversial subject), what is the best way to get it off? I have used goof off in previous iterations, but only in small areas. I'm not sure how it will affect the paint on a larger surface. I know you can peel it up thats the whole plastidip schtick, but this plastidip looks very set in and old.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-23-2014, 11:50 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

It is pretty easy to remove, 3 / 4 mount points I believe. Accessible from inside the trunk. Well, I'm assuming it is mounted like the pedestal units and not just taped on.

As for your plastidip removal question, I'll defer that to someone with experience removing it. There's a few folks here who are pretty capable with the dip.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:42 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
It is pretty easy to remove, 3 / 4 mount points I believe. Accessible from inside the trunk. Well, I'm assuming it is mounted like the pedestal units and not just taped on.

As for your plastidip removal question, I'll defer that to someone with experience removing it. There's a few folks here who are pretty capable with the dip.
Did Ford use that double sided tape on them too? I thought I heard they are a PITA to get off because of that and the cleaning up of the tape residue.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

My newedge used that tape, and it was a PITA. If i remove this one, I probably wouldnt clean it unless necessary, as I am only going to be taking the plastidip off then putting it back on
Old 12-24-2014, 11:15 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Like others have said there are probably about 4 mount points. I know on my spoiler there are 4 nuts that hold it to the decklid. i threw in some double sided tape aswell.

as for plasti dip, i have had some fun experience with it. i have used it on chrome wheels. On the inside of my doors where others have the leather, i made it red with plasti dip. I made my speaker rings red with dip also. peel it right off. I have never experienced any sort of damage from the stuff. i also plasti dipped my hood matte black for a couple months.

its as simple as this:
clean the area, tape off/isolate area, first and second coat are light dustings for foundation, then coatings 3+ are generous applications. at least 5 coats total. 6 or 7 wouldnt hurt. make sure each coat has time to dry. If ur object is subjected to harsh sun, it would be a good idea to give another quick coat or two after about 3-4 weeks just to keep up appearance and protect it.

youtube is a fantastic source for how-tos
layers are the key to peeling it off. not very many coats = picking it off little piece by piece. 5-7 coats = pulling off large pieces

Last edited by cema93; 12-24-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

dipyourcar.com
Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks cema! Plastidip is an amazing thing, thankful up until now I havnt had to remove it. The scary part is not knowing how the previous owner applied it to the spoiler you know? Thanks for finding those videos they are incredibly helpful!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:17 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Did Ford use that double sided tape on them too? I thought I heard they are a PITA to get off because of that and the cleaning up of the tape residue.

Yes and yes. I think the newer tape is easier to remove because it hasn't picked up so much *junk* in it. They key is in the removal technique.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:59 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

If u want to be sure it's easier to remove go buy two cans, dip it until the cans r empty. Let it dry for a day then u will for sure be able to peel it. This simply adds enough layers to make the spoiler peel-able
Old 12-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Cema! Yea the last guy who owned the car definitely did not do that! It took me about 3 hours, a full can of goof off, and one brain gone from the fumes to get all that stinkin plastidip off the spoiler. It was worth it though looks so much better in just the grabber blue. And I didnt even have to take the spoiler off the car! I know now that layers help!

Quick Reply: 2014 Rear spoiler and plastidip question