Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning off TPMS, there HAS to be a way...

Old 12-25-2014, 03:17 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default Turning off TPMS, there HAS to be a way...

So 6 years ago I put some new rims on my car and didn't even consider the TPMS sensors and bands. I think the shop kept em, or threw em away. Since then, every single, g*d d**n time I start my car I have to hit reset to make the TPMS fault alert go away.

There MUST be a way to disable it. I heard recently if you pull the fuse on the TPMS system you can get rid of it that way. Anybody know anything about that?

I also know that a good tune shop can turn off TCS for good (which I intend to do), but that they won't/can't turn off the TPMS system. I find this hard to believe. I mean there must be a way the computer system can turn it off. I'd be willing to slip the tuner guy some more cash to make it happen.

I find it so ridiculous, that I have to deal with something that I don't want, and the government has made mandatory. Grrrrr.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:23 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

following.. I'm curious
Old 12-25-2014, 05:54 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

not sure about the tpms but if you use a tuner to turn off the tcs permanantly, there is a message that you have to clear by hitting reset, much like the one your getting for the tpms im sure. that's the way my 05' is anyway, just as easy to turn tcs off with button.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:05 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Not sure if there's a way to turn off the TPMS, since it's banded or on the valve stem and communicates with the ECM wirelessly?? (How else could it talk to the ECM w/o a physical connection)

There is however, a very easy way to trick it.
1) Remove your TPMS (make sure they are programmed first)
2) get a six inch long piece of PVC pipe and 2 end caps.
3) drill a hole in one end cap and screw in a valve stem
4) take the other cap and seal off one side of the pipe
5) put the TPMS sensors in the tube
6) Seal off the other end of the pipe with the valve stem cap
7) Using an air compressor, pressurize the tube to your recommended tire inflation
8) place tube under driver seat.

re-pressurize the tube as needed.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:29 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You can do the above trick....or just get new TPMS sensors. What's so hard about that? They are there for your benefit.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:35 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
You can do the above trick....or just get new TPMS sensors. What's so hard about that? They are there for your benefit.
It's like $250 AND I have to get some guys to take off the tires and put the sensors on. AND they malfunction sometimes and are generally more of a hassle than an asset.

OR if I knew how I could just disable that little notice that comes up when I start the car.

C wat I am sayn bruh?
Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bl817
not sure about the tpms but if you use a tuner to turn off the tcs permanantly, there is a message that you have to clear by hitting reset, much like the one your getting for the tpms im sure. that's the way my 05' is anyway, just as easy to turn tcs off with button.
Hmm, you sure?

I heard that I can just make the TCS default to off. So when I start the car it is off, with no issues.

Not the case?
Old 12-25-2014, 10:27 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

not on my 05' gt premium, I did the tcs always off and I still got the message in the display I had to acknowledge when I started the car so had to hit the reset to clear it. also its nice to have on if im driving in rain or inclement weather
Old 12-26-2014, 04:38 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Traction control can be set to be permanently off in the tune, but I have never seen a tune parameter for the TPMS. Might be possible to disable the dash lights for the TPMS warning though, just a thought.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:58 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
TPMS is for people that are to lazy or stupid to check their own tire pressures.

They only work with a slow leak which a competent driver should be able to feel and be able to maintain control.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turning off TPMS, there HAS to be a way...