Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning off TPMS, there HAS to be a way...

Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

There is NO way to turn it off its a federal safety mandate
Old 12-29-2014, 07:17 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Did you ever state what year your car was? Is it in your signature so we know? That's right you failed to put one up. Important info you left out of this thread.
The OP didn't mention a year, but did say "banded TPMS"
based off that we know that they were mandatory starting in 2007 and may have been an option in 2005-2006.
2005-2009 used banded TPMS and i think they moved to the valve stem TPMS in 2010 or 2011.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by steel pony
The OP didn't mention a year, but did say "banded TPMS"
based off that we know that they were mandatory starting in 2007 and may have been an option in 2005-2006.
2005-2009 used banded TPMS and i think they moved to the valve stem TPMS in 2010 or 2011.
You CAN get valve stem style TPMS for 2005-2009. They are aftermarket. I know because I have them.

The difference between the two styles other than the obvious physical stuff is the frequency they transmit at. 2010+ transmit at a different frequency so therefore the OEM ones are not compatible. Plenty of aftermarket companies make Stem style TPMS for 05-09 mustangs. You just have to dig a little

I got mine from this place a couple years ago when I had new tires put on at discount. They swapped out my sensors to these for free during the install. Zero problems.

I even plugged in your info for you

http://oewheels.ecomm-search.com/nav...TPMS#.VKG4uAAA
Old 12-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
TPMS is for people that are to lazy or stupid to check their own tire pressures.

They only work with a slow leak which a competent driver should be able to feel and be able to maintain control.
Hmm, you should remove your ABS brakes and go back to a Bias ply tire then too since all of those things are to the benefit of the driver and control.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 13V6coupe
I totally agree, more government intrusion that costs every taxpayer money.. punish everyone for the ignorance of the few mentality, it is stupid and completely out of control.
Until someone you love loses their life or ends up maimed because of one such ignorant person. Then you'd dawn your hat of "oh the government should do more to protect me/the innocent".... damn the gov for not instituting tighter regulations or adding something to the car to protect me from everyone else's stupidity.

I bet you have both of your hands on the wheel at all times, never text, talk on the phone, or eat, always stop for two seconds or longer at stop signs, always drive the speed limit or below it, never race or jack-rabbit start from a light, never gun it to beat a light (or another car coming down the road as you turn out in front of them), etc, etc, etc. /sarcasm.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:42 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Did you ever state what year your car was? Is it in your signature so we know? That's right you failed to put one up. Important info you left out of this thread.

Regardless do a search on ebay, they're there.
Settle down.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:51 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

Hmm, you should remove your ABS brakes and go back to a Bias ply tire then too since all of those things are to the benefit of the driver and control.
Actually, the two mustangs I daily drive Don't have ABS, traction control or TPMS.

Originally Posted by Derf00
Until someone you love loses their life or ends up maimed because of one such ignorant person. Then you'd dawn your hat of "oh the government should do more to protect me/the innocent".... damn the gov for not instituting tighter regulations or adding something to the car to protect me from everyone else's stupidity.

I bet you have both of your hands on the wheel at all times, never text, talk on the phone, or eat, always stop for two seconds or longer at stop signs, always drive the speed limit or below it, never race or jack-rabbit start from a light, never gun it to beat a light (or another car coming down the road as you turn out in front of them), etc, etc, etc. /sarcasm.
For years we never had any of these govt implemented nannies and we survived as a nation just fine. We just, as a nation, paid more attention and did ore drive checks.

With all these nannies now people just get in and drive and only realize something is wrong when the appropriately named "dummy" light comes on.

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 12-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS

For years we never had any of these govt implemented nannies and we survived as a nation just fine. We just, as a nation, paid more attention and did ore drive checks.

With all these nannies now people just get in and drive and only realize something is wrong when the appropriately named "dummy" light comes on.
totes agree mate. Sure, some people say that features like these make the road "statistically safer for everyone".

Well you know what else would make things "statistically safer"? How about better education for drivers. Things like maintaining awareness of acceptable tire tread, proper driving techniques for wet and icy conditions, using the left lane for passing ONLY.

TCS for example, if you have followed many people's posts, has been found to CAUSE people to crash in wet conditions due to the brakes clamping down and putting the driver into a hydroplane. If you know how to drive when you hit a patch of deep water, you can maintain control of the car better than any TCS feature every could.

What I'm saying is: An emphasis on personal responsibility will pay much much bigger dividends to society than this constant drive to create features to serve idiots.

HEAR! HEAR! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!

Last edited by ThaiCobra; 12-29-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Pony Express, I think you can make a very good case that new drivers depend on their car for a lot of things, none of these make the driver better. ABS, traction control, TPMS, lane warnings, autobraking, backup warnings, lane obstruction warnings will all lead to lazy and distracted drivers.
I believe all of these can be fooled by snow (lane drift warnings) speeding motocycles that cut in front of you may cause your auto braking to slam on the brakes and you may get rear ended. Technology will have a tough time in our State, as weather conditions can change quickly. It's tough to have a computer spot an icy spot in time to coast a little and easy through it.
Muggers will be able to stand in the middle of the street and your car will automatically stop so you can get car jacked.
I think we should have a choise for these options and not have to pay for things we don't use.
"If you want safe drivers, take out the driver's airbag and put a 6 inch spike in the middle of the steering wheel."

Btw, the endgame is to have all cars drive themselves or you will have to take the bus.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
totes agree mate. Sure, some people say that features like these make the road "statistically safer for everyone".

Well you know what else would make things "statistically safer"? How about better education for drivers. Things like maintaining awareness of acceptable tire tread, proper driving techniques for wet and icy conditions, using the left lane for passing ONLY.

TCS for example, if you have followed many people's posts, has been found to CAUSE people to crash in wet conditions due to the brakes clamping down and putting the driver into a hydroplane. If you know how to drive when you hit a patch of deep water, you can maintain control of the car better than any TCS feature every could.

What I'm saying is: An emphasis on personal responsibility will pay much much bigger dividends to society than this constant drive to create features to serve idiots.

HEAR! HEAR! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!
Wait what!?! Make people take personal responsibility and use common sense!?! WTF How dare you infringe on my personal freedom to be a dumb **** and not give a chit about anyone or anything else but myself! You sir are a !)@$^%*!!! If I want to drive 50mph in the snow or haul **** through a school zone, or snap chat/text on my phone while driving or drinking, etc, YOU cannot tell ME what to do! Fug you very much!

/sarcasm

To be honest, I totally agree with you, however, responsible people that use common sense are not the majority. It's the idiotic self serving entitled ****** that keep breeding so until we see a reversal, I'm all for the nannies. As long as I can disable the ones that hinder my driving enjoyment. TPMS and seatbelts are not on that list

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turning off TPMS, there HAS to be a way...