Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Clicking noise under dash: Defrost door actuator

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:42 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Clicking noise under dash: Defrost door actuator

A clicking noise started under my dash about two weeks ago. It would happen when the ignition key is turned to the on position or when the climate control mode selector was turned from the off position to vent/floor, vent or max a/c. Anything to the right of the off position didn't make the noise. I discovered from Googling that it was one of my blend door actuators. It turned out to be one of the most difficult to reach which is the defrost door actuator located up high behind the passenger air bag. I knew it was the right one because I could feel it clicking when reaching my hand under the dash to search for it. I ordered a new one from http://www.ebay.com/itm/321605517324?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT for $15.51 w/free shipping. You can also get one at Rockauto.

I was able to replace the actuator today. It took about an hour. I disconnected the battery just in case since I was working near the air bag assembly. There's only two 8mm hex screws. There's limited space to work so if you have chubby hands you might want to have someone else do it for you or you'll be shouting expletives at your car. lol

Some pics...

After I removed the actuator. You'll need to lower the glove box door to get to this area. There's an arm that operates the defrost vent located between the two mounting locations. Reach up in there and feel for it. Make sure it's in the forward postion (Pointing towards front of car) before installing the new unit. The arm on the actuator links with this vent arm.
Name:  20150102_120534new_zps51caf75d.jpg
Views: 10931
Size:  81.1 KB

Disassembled the bad actuator
Name:  20150102_120647_zps75499383.jpg
Views: 7092
Size:  84.5 KB

Broken tooth

Removal instructions
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=336&viewfil...ost%20Door.pdf

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 01-03-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:58 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the write up, very helpful, unlike Ford has been with this BS.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:14 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I'm dreading this, I have the door clicking now.... havent been able to climb under to determine WHICH door... how exactly did you do that part?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:31 PM
kdecoster1

I replaced two actuators this week on my son's 2007 Mustang GT. The one on the passanger side was a little rough but the one on the drivers side was a pain in the ***! the top screw is almost impossible to get to with a socket, or any wrench for that matter. I took out the instrument cluster and stuck a wedge between the metal support bar and the vent duct. With the wedge pushing up on the vent duct I was able to get a small socket on the top screw(bolt). I layed on my back and put my right arm over the backside of the steering shft which helped a lot too. Disconnect the wire to the brake pedal too, that helps, so it's out of your way. Bring your patience too, it takes a while to get that screw out one click on the ratchet at a time, lol.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:49 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65Raven65
Thanks for the write up, very helpful, unlike Ford has been with this BS.
You're welcome!

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I'm dreading this, I have the door clicking now.... havent been able to climb under to determine WHICH door... how exactly did you do that part?
Since the clicking noise would occur when the key was turned to the on position and last about 5 seconds, I kept turning the key on and off and feel around the side of the center dash behind the climate controls and stereo. You know you've found the right one when you feel a strong clicking on the suspect actuator.

Originally Posted by kdecoster1
I replaced two actuators this week on my son's 2007 Mustang GT. The one on the passanger side was a little rough but the one on the drivers side was a pain in the ***! the top screw is almost impossible to get to with a socket, or any wrench for that matter. I took out the instrument cluster and stuck a wedge between the metal support bar and the vent duct. With the wedge pushing up on the vent duct I was able to get a small socket on the top screw(bolt). I layed on my back and put my right arm over the backside of the steering shft which helped a lot too. Disconnect the wire to the brake pedal too, that helps, so it's out of your way. Bring your patience too, it takes a while to get that screw out one click on the ratchet at a time, lol.
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to do the driver's side.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Elcameeeno
1st Gear Member

I replaced the same actuator as the OP last year. Now it sounds like I have several clicking. Does anyone know how many total actuators there are and the associated part numbers? (616A & 616B?) I think there are three but am not sure. I am thinking I will just replace them all and be done with it for a little while anyway.

Jon
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There are Four actuators, left and right side of the center stack up high behind the dash (left/driver controls from panel to floor, right/passenger controls panel to defrost vents), center stack down by your feet right side controls the temperature (temperature blend door), and a fourth one by the blower motor (under the dash) that controls the recirculation.

To everyone complaining about how hard these are to replace...just be glad you don't own a GM vehicle.

You have to remove the dash to replace many of them and in order to remove the dash, the center console and passenger air bag also have to come out.

Also, you guys should be doing the actuator motor calibration procedure after you replace an actuator to avoid messing up your newly replaced motor(s)....

::The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out calibration, carry out the following steps.

1.Remove Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 10 and 12 for at least one minute.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

3. Remove the key

4.Reinstall SJB fuse 10 and 12.

5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct actuator operation.

I did this when my vents got stuck on defrost one morning. They would not adjust to any other setting and there were no clicks. Fixed it after the second try.

Last edited by Derf00; 09-16-2016 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Fixed number and location of each.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
There are three actuators, Blend door, Defrost, and I forget the third one. To everyone complaining about how hard these are to replace...just be glad you don't own a GM vehicle.

You have to remove the dash to replace many of them and in order to remove the dash, the center console and passenger air bag also have to come out.

Also, you guys should be doing the actuator motor calibration procedure after you replace an actuator to avoid messing up your newly replaced motor(s)....

::The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out calibration, carry out the following steps.

1.Remove Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 10 and 12 for at least one minute.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

3. Remove the key

4.Reinstall SJB fuse 10 and 12.

5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait 30 seconds before verifying correct actuator operation.

I did this when my vents got stuck on defrost one morning. They would not adjust to any other setting and there were no clicks. Fixed it after the second try.
Where did you find the info about calibration? I didn't see it in the service manual. My actuator is working fine and didn't need calibration.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 AM
pnichol2

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
A clicking noise started under my dash about two weeks ago. It would happen when the ignition key is turned to the on position or when the climate control mode selector was turned from the off position to vent/floor, vent or max a/c. Anything to the right of the off position didn't make the noise. I discovered from Googling that it was one of my blend door actuators. It turned out to be one of the most difficult to reach which is the defrost door actuator located up high behind the passenger air bag. I knew it was the right one because I could feel it clicking when reaching my hand under the dash to search for it. I ordered a new one from Ebay for $15.51 w/free shipping. You can also get one at Rockauto.

I was able to replace the actuator today. It took about an hour. I disconnected the battery just in case since I was working near the air bag assembly. There's only two 8mm hex screws. There's limited space to work so if you have chubby hands you might want to have someone else do it for you or you'll be shouting expletives at your car. lol

Some pics...

After I removed the actuator. You'll need to lower the glove box door to get to this area. There's an arm that operates the defrost vent located between the two mounting locations. Reach up in there and feel for it. Make sure it's in the forward postion (Pointing towards front of car) before installing the new unit. The arm on the actuator links with this vent arm.

Disassembled the bad actuator

Broken tooth

Removal instructions
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=336&viewfil...ost%20Door.pdf

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
so I had clicking in my fuse box. Mechanic came out and ran a diagnostic test, said my air con actuator was faulty. I removed all four of them, clicking stopped (when I removed the relays as well), all four hock up to a battery and run fine. Thoughts?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Mine clicks every now and again. I think I have heard it two or three times in the last couple of years. I just turn it off and back on again and it "fixes" it.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise under dash: Defrost door actuator