Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failing Power Steering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:59 PM
JCreasy

Default Failing Power Steering Questions

Folks,

I've got an '08 GT and the power steering pump must be failing, it is groaning and hard to steer at low speeds, steering is heavier at higher speeds. Basically, starting to drive like it has no power steering (but it makes that groaning sound).

Two questions.

First, assuming I can handle the increased steering effort, is it safe to drive or do I run the risk of blowing every accessory on my serpentine belt, and/or, the belt?

Second, is there a power steering delete kit or dummy pulley with resistance out there and has anyone tried it?

Thanks,

JKC
Old 12-25-2014, 08:35 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Power steering is for sissies!

I know it sounds obvious, but did you check the fluid? I would really advise against driving around with a failed system.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

There are manual racks that can be put in to replace the power steering. I would think it would be cheaper, easier and much nicer to drive the car with the power steering. I've driven the S197s without and it's no fun. But to each their own...

When mine was groaning before, it was an alignment problem. I noticed it right after my KB install. It's easy to figure out if it's not aligned, and easy to fix. Local auto part stores usually give/lend out tools that are needed for these projects.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM
JCreasy

Thanks guys.

I took it to shop. Yes, checked fluid and fine. Interesting about alignment. I don't think that is it though because I am the only driver (for now) and I haven't hit a pot hole or run off road or hit kerb.

As for non power steering, I was afraid the drag/tension would screw up the belt or other accessories. The only other cars I've driven without power steering had smaller front tires to muscle around and less weight over them: 1st Gen. Rx-7; MGB; Porsche 914; VW Beetle. Thought I'd ask, anyways.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

The biggest problem is our cars run off of a Serpentine belt, if the power steering pump locks up of comes apart losing the pulley you are stuck.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM
JCreasy

Siber Express, that is what I was concerned about too. It is/was the pump and in shop now getting replaced. Thanks for the reply.

Your car looks nice. Mine is stock but I got white LeMans stripes on it over the holidays. My car is that ruby red metallic and the stripes really make it stand out. Like your grilles too. I may or may not do that to mine. I'm an '08, so different nose and body style.

We have emissions in Atlanta so I cannot do headers and free flow exhaust. Wish I could.

JKC
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCreasy
Siber Express, that is what I was concerned about too. It is/was the pump and in shop now getting replaced. Thanks for the reply.

Your car looks nice. Mine is stock but I got white LeMans stripes on it over the holidays. My car is that ruby red metallic and the stripes really make it stand out. Like your grilles too. I may or may not do that to mine. I'm an '08, so different nose and body style.

We have emissions in Atlanta so I cannot do headers and free flow exhaust. Wish I could.

JKC
Thanks, except for the stripes, that is the stock front of mine.
As for the Headers, I can still pass emissions in all 50 states since they just take the place of the Stock manifolds and are CARB approved now.
I don't know enough about the benefits of Shorty headers on a 4.6, but they definitely help the low end on the 3.7.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:22 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCreasy

JKC
Not 30 miles North in Bartow County