Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 05 GT intake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 PM
youngfalcon

Default Stock 05 GT intake question

When I removed my stock 05 GT intake and replaced it with a CAI last year I noticed there was a white ceramic looking "filter" inside the tube. I can't recall what it is called but I think it is there to keep fumes from exiting out the intake after the engine is turned off.

Is it necessary to put it in the CAI tube or should I leave it out. I'm getting custom Bama tunes on a new SCT4 tuner later this week and wondering if they assume it is in or out or if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any replies!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

That mini "catalytic converter" was put in early 2005 models to clean up the air going INTO the engine. Late 2005 and 2006-2009 models didn't have it and put out an extra 5rwhp as a result of having this restriction removed.
You certainly don't need it in your CAI and the Bama tune will assume it isn't there.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Throw that crap away!! LOL.. Get the tune and enjoy the smell of burning rubber!! Your gonna love it.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by youngfalcon
When I removed my stock 05 GT intake and replaced it with a CAI last year I noticed there was a white ceramic looking "filter" inside the tube. I can't recall what it is called but I think it is there to keep fumes from exiting out the intake after the engine is turned off.

Is it necessary to put it in the CAI tube or should I leave it out. I'm getting custom Bama tunes on a new SCT4 tuner later this week and wondering if they assume it is in or out or if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any replies!
Hey - That's a good question and I'm going to speak with the guys over at Bama about this for you but when you're submitting your information I would recommend just having a picture attached along with your Bama Ticket so the guys know what's going on!

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime and I'm here to help!

Alex
Old 01-07-2015, 09:05 AM
youngfalcon

Thanks for the replies. Alex I'm not sure what your reference is to "Bama Ticket". Do you mean the form I filled out regarding my specific car when I bought the tuner? I guess I should have asked that question in the comments space but I didn't think about it until yesterday when I was out burning up the 87 octane gas so I could fill the tank with 91. Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by youngfalcon
Thanks for the replies. Alex I'm not sure what your reference is to "Bama Ticket". Do you mean the form I filled out regarding my specific car when I bought the tuner? I guess I should have asked that question in the comments space but I didn't think about it until yesterday when I was out burning up the 87 octane gas so I could fill the tank with 91. Thanks again!
Hey - Sorry about that, that's my fault! When you're to have a tune order set up you'll receive an automatically generated email from the guys at Bama where they'll go over a few things with you. You can either let them know about this in the comments section or I'm more than happy to have one of the guys contact you directly.

Alex
Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
That mini "catalytic converter" was put in early 2005 models to clean up the air going INTO the engine. Late 2005 and 2006-2009 models didn't have it and put out an extra 5rwhp as a result of having this restriction removed.
You certainly don't need it in your CAI and the Bama tune will assume it isn't there.
You sure that wasn't just an air straightener? I thought that was what it was, because I've seen examples of them in other vehicles.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Sorry not trying to thread hi-jack, but since this was brought up, I was wondering if you can just pull that ceramic peice out of the stock air intake. I am still running the stock air intake tube on my 05 GT, and it has that piece in there. Any issues with removing it.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM
youngfalcon

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it doesn't need to be there but I will contact AM in the am to find out for sure. It will fit in the K & N CAI. Will let you know what they say.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:52 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
You sure that wasn't just an air straightener? I thought that was what it was, because I've seen examples of them in other vehicles.
Good one!!! That made me LOL!!!

Quick Reply: Stock 05 GT intake question