Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 05 GT intake question

Old 01-08-2015, 12:19 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Sorry not trying to thread hi-jack, but since this was brought up, I was wondering if you can just pull that ceramic peice out of the stock air intake. I am still running the stock air intake tube on my 05 GT, and it has that piece in there. Any issues with removing it.
Yes, you can pull that thing out and gain an instant, free 5hp. However it requires some force so you'll need a second person to hold the intake tube and apply opposing force while you're pulling.
It obviously serves no useful purpose 'cause Ford stopped putting it in the intake tube later in 2005.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:11 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
Good one!!! That made me LOL!!!
Why?

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...w+Straightener

Maybe that's not what ours is though.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 AM
youngfalcon

I called the Bama hotline at AM and Lewis said the "airflow straightener" should be left out as their tunes do not include that in their parameters. Thought someone would want to know. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:53 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by youngfalcon
I called the Bama hotline at AM and Lewis said the "airflow straightener" should be left out as their tunes do not include that in their parameters. Thought someone would want to know. Thanks again for the replies!
OK, that's what I thought it was!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I forgot I asked about this awhile ago. I found that thread again with the link someone posted to it, stating that if it is removed it will cause air/fuel issues. That is why I left it in. Maybe the stock tune is different on the later cars.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:13 PM
youngfalcon

Default Missing parts in Tuner Shipment from AM :(

After watching the UPS tracker for three days I eagerly drove home early today as my new Bama X4/SF4 tuner was shown delivered in the early afternoon. Opened the package and found the tuner and a metal plate with "custom tuned by Bama Performance" and my name plus "2005 Mustang GT". But NO CABLES OR DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!! Is AM kidding me?

I scheduled a vacation day tomorrow to do the install and drive the car for a few hours. Instead I will be sitting around thinking about the fun I planned to have. I can't believe it. What kind of employee would leave out the cables and directions to a new tuner order. Frankly I am now a bit concerned about the tuner itself. Will it work as advertised or will something be missing. Hopefully the folks who do the tunes are more reliable than the ones who handle it afterward.

I called AM and the person I talked to (who was very courteous) indicated it was "another department" (shipping I think) that would have take care of the problem. And they had left for the day. He also indicated that the written directions may not be included in the shipment anyway. Seems I may have to go online to find them. They used to come with the tuners as I have seen them. Now I must wait until tomorrow to get an email telling me how they will rectify the problem. I would think a phone call and over night delivery would be in order.

I will keep you informed of how this ends up. I am a fairly laid back person but for now I am about as pi--ed off as I have been in a long, long time. I have zero tolerance for this type of ineptitude.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:57 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
Why?

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...w+Straightener

Maybe that's not what ours is though.
I thought you were being sarcastic and making light of the old "Tornados" that people used to install in their intakes to create a vortex (turbulent air) by saying it's a "straightener". I didn't realize you were being serious.

Either way, it still made me laugh thinking about all the hype and supposed HP increases from installing a Tornado into an intake tube.

Thanks for the laugh, intentional or not.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by youngfalcon
After watching the UPS tracker for three days I eagerly drove home early today as my new Bama X4/SF4 tuner was shown delivered in the early afternoon. Opened the package and found the tuner and a metal plate with "custom tuned by Bama Performance" and my name plus "2005 Mustang GT". But NO CABLES OR DIRECTIONS!!!!!!!! Is AM kidding me?

I scheduled a vacation day tomorrow to do the install and drive the car for a few hours. Instead I will be sitting around thinking about the fun I planned to have. I can't believe it. What kind of employee would leave out the cables and directions to a new tuner order. Frankly I am now a bit concerned about the tuner itself. Will it work as advertised or will something be missing. Hopefully the folks who do the tunes are more reliable than the ones who handle it afterward.

I called AM and the person I talked to (who was very courteous) indicated it was "another department" (shipping I think) that would have take care of the problem. And they had left for the day. He also indicated that the written directions may not be included in the shipment anyway. Seems I may have to go online to find them. They used to come with the tuners as I have seen them. Now I must wait until tomorrow to get an email telling me how they will rectify the problem. I would think a phone call and over night delivery would be in order.

I will keep you informed of how this ends up. I am a fairly laid back person but for now I am about as pi--ed off as I have been in a long, long time. I have zero tolerance for this type of ineptitude.
Eh, you don't need the printed directions, it's pretty straightforward. But with no cables...well, that makes it a bit hard to use, yes.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

the sx3/sf3 3000/3015 uses a usb printer cable. just looked at sxt's web site. looks like one cable is regular usb to mini usb, like cell phone charger. seems silly that they would make the ODBII port cable separate as well. hope that's not the one you need. you can download the manual from their site as well. sxtflash.com good luck

Last edited by bl817; 01-09-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 AM
youngfalcon

Default Both Cables Missing!

bl817: As I said in my earlier post, AM sent NO cables with the tuner so I can't use it to load my custom tunes. Now having to wait until they are shipped separately. Hopefully over night. Will keep you posted on how they do this time. Maybe Alex L. from AM, who posted earlier in this thread, will jump in with some info. or good news.

Last edited by youngfalcon; 01-09-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock 05 GT intake question