Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 05 GT intake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jz
I thought you were being sarcastic and making light of the old "Tornados" that people used to install in their intakes to create a vortex (turbulent air) by saying it's a "straightener". I didn't realize you were being serious.

Either way, it still made me laugh thinking about all the hype and supposed HP increases from installing a Tornado into an intake tube.

Thanks for the laugh, intentional or not.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/05/05CPR/

05 Carbon filter trap. It's not needed. Chuck it in the round or rectangular trash receptacle at home.

As for the cables. The Tuner has a cable attached to it for the OBDII Port, for the tuner to PC connection it's a standard A-B USB cable. Sucks it didn't come with it but any walmart or target should carry it.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Derf00;8456156]http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/05/05CPR/

05 Carbon filter trap. It's not needed. Chuck it in the round or rectangular trash receptacle at home.

Why would you say chuck it after posting a article that says removing it will result in lean fuel issues?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 PM
youngfalcon

Derf00: The tuner does NOT have a cable attached to it. As I said both cables were left out of the box. The new SCT4 tuners have a removable OBD cable unlike before. Thats what I need. The other I have the same lying around here. Supposedly the cables were shipped over night delivery so I should have them tomorrow. But the tracking number AM gave me for the second shipment is the same as the first so all I see is "item delivered on Thursday…." So I really don't know if it is coming tomorrow or not. Emailed AM Support this afternoon for clarification but have not heard back from them.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 PM
youngfalcon

Default 91 Race Tune Installed - Report

AM took care of the shipment issue above (missing cables) by shipping them overnight. I got them on Saturday and installed the 91 race tune. The car runs great but I can't tell much of a difference in performance. That may be more of a reflection of me than the tune. But, by the seat of the pants, it feels about the same. I'm wondering if I should have asked for the 93 race tune. I considered that but 93 is not available in most stations where I live.

It was interesting when I started the car right after the tune was installed: It took a couple of seconds (unusual) for the engine to start after I turned the key. Then when it started, I tapped the accelerator and it popped and backfired a few times. Then that went away. I let it run a few seconds then drove off. I have a manual and the car felt like it jumped off the ground when I let the clutch out. I thought OMG this is great. But by the time I got to the end of my 600 ft. driveway, stopped, and drove off again, it seemed to run pretty much as before. I guess the computer had to adjust to the tune though I don't fully understand how all this works.

I took it on a 20 mile run down the highway at about 75mph then drove in town for a couple of miles. Did not drive yesterday or today due to rain and snow but I hope to get it out again on Thursday. I may have to switch back and forth from stock to the race tune to finally feel the difference. No complaint but I'm disappointed that I can't feel more difference.

Last edited by youngfalcon; 01-12-2015 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
youngfalcon

Default Another, more aggressive drive & results of Bama tune

After my previous post regarding the little difference I felt from the stock tune to the Bama 91 race tune, I got to thinking I needed to take the car back out for a more aggressive drive. Did so today and I must admit that I was wrong before. There is a noticeable improvement in acceleration when I get on it. Before I was in traffic and unable to really push the car. So I am now more than satisfied with the way the car runs.