Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM
vmuth

Default Gas Fumes

I have a 2014 V6 that my wife drives. If she fills the tank on her way from home I will smell gas fumes in the garage once she parks and closes the garage door.

She makes sure that she does not overfill and stops when the pump clicks off.

The next day when she gets home with very little fuel used there is no smell.

I have checked for leaks but do not see any. I called the dealer today and they have not had this problem brought to their attention.

Have owned many mustangs and taurus over the years and this is the first with this problem. I for one do not like the capless fuel tank.

Anyone else notice this with a newer mustang?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:49 AM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

I have noticed the same thing with my '12 V6. I think the smell is from any small drop of fuel that drips off the fill nozzle and lands outside the plate that seals the top of the cap less filler. The gas evaporates and comes out of the gap around the fuel door so you can smell it for a day or so.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Im pretty sure the Capless tank is responsible. id rather have a fuel cap than a sealing door
Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by vmuth
I have a 2014 V6 that my wife drives. If she fills the tank on her way from home I will smell gas fumes in the garage once she parks and closes the garage door.

She makes sure that she does not overfill and stops when the pump clicks off.
The next day when she gets home with very little fuel used there is no smell.
I have checked for leaks but do not see any. I called the dealer today and they have not had this problem brought to their attention.
Have owned many mustangs and taurus over the years and this is the first with this problem. I for one do not like the capless fuel tank.

Anyone else notice this with a newer mustang?
Please bring it in to your Ford Dealer and get it checked out, vmuth. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Originally Posted by mmdpg
I have noticed the same thing with my '12 V6. I think the smell is from any small drop of fuel that drips off the fill nozzle and lands outside the plate that seals the top of the cap less filler. The gas evaporates and comes out of the gap around the fuel door so you can smell it for a day or so.
You should also get it checked out and let me know what your dealer says, mmdpg.

Deysha