Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tiny paint chips

Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by p0nypwr
omg I'm so **** about my car as I wash and was, yes wax, it every week spending at least 5hrs on the exterior alone. I don't have a garage and keeping the deep impact blue clean and shiny is pretty tough, and I currently have 11 chips in the 6 month old vehicle that drive me bonkers as I can spot them from 10 feet away.

I've tried touching up chips in the past with the small brush method but it always comes out horrible like a big bubble or doesn't fill it in all the way and looks out of place. Anyone have experience with the drchipcolor stuff? Is it as easy as their video shows and does it come out looking good?
I have used Dr Colorchip. It works well, the hardest part is using the solvent they supply. Don't wait long enough and you remove the paint, wait too long and the paint is harder to blend. I mentioned a razor blade process that I have used for a few years now; an old body guy showed it to me. It's mentioned above, however my instructions may not be crystal clear without pictures.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Every car that gets driven has a little road rash. I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:33 AM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
I have used Dr Colorchip. It works well, the hardest part is using the solvent they supply. Don't wait long enough and you remove the paint, wait too long and the paint is harder to blend. I mentioned a razor blade process that I have used for a few years now; an old body guy showed it to me. It's mentioned above, however my instructions may not be crystal clear without pictures.
How'd you bend the razor blade without taking off your finger tips?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by magnido45
How'd you bend the razor blade without taking off your finger tips?
Or having it break/shatter and send shards flying. I've had that happen. Scary.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:52 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zerefi
i bought my car brand new off the factory and even though its getting old i try to maintain it like new and honestly i plan to keep it for the rest of my life.

im starting to notice i got some paint chips around the car that im assuming are from pebbles and etc on the road, like 10 all together, they are the side of tiny cookie crumbs and i doubt anyone else but me would notice but they are bothering the hell out of me lol.
I just got my mustang few weeks ago and I am thinking about getting new headlights.

The 2 I'm looking at are

1. http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-h...lack-0509.html LED halo

2. http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked...ghts-0509.html CCFL halo, but bigger

Idk though, I want a halo style to look more modern, and sometimes they look good and other times they look kinda odd to me... I may just keep my stock headlights and call it "Retro" Lol. What do you guys like?

So which is it? did you just get the mustang in Dec 2014 or brand new off the showroom floor. Cause there aint no way in hell you bought a brand new, never titled 2005 OR 2012 mustang (if you even have the v6) last Dec.

Why are you lying about stuff like this?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

i bought my car brand new off the factory and even though its getting old i try to maintain it like new and honestly i plan to keep it for the rest of my life.

im starting to notice i got some paint chips around the car that im assuming are from pebbles and etc on the road, like 10 all together, they are the side of tiny cookie crumbs and i doubt anyone else but me would notice but they are bothering the hell out of me lol.

do you guys have rock chips? i looked up a few "guides" online and on youtube on using touch up paint - but honestly when i look at the before and after pic it looks like **** after they use touch up paint (reminds me of putting toilet paper on shaving cuts) and i dont think its worth repainting the call to "do it right" - so should i just leave them?

in the end paint doesn't really affect anything but resale value right? i used to be even crazier when i first got the car and I would wash the car every few days, dust it every night and replaced the garage flooring of my old place with marble and...ya...

but im getting older and dont care as much just want to enjoy it and keep it nice. i still maintain like crazy but now i just mostly do touch less washing, so it should be okay right?
I've had my baby for almost five years now. It has 19K on the odometer. I have one chip in the paint, a tiny one on the front bumper. I know exactly when I got it...driving 90 MPH I hit a 40 MPH gust of wind that picked up some gravel chips on the road. Otherwise the paint is much nicer than the day I drove it off the lot. More unsettling are the chips in the windshield. I suppose if I kept it always it in the garage, it'll stay pristine, but what fun is that?

It's a tradeoff....
Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i keep mine the same.
but mine has about 4 tiny stone chips..i never ever drive on motorways and never drive close to other cars..i also have on tiny chip on the windscreen..
mine has gone 12k miles..i have been waxing it almost every week through the winter aswell lol...cant wait to wheel it out the garage soon and see the shine..
Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 PM
DanielGT

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
So which is it? did you just get the mustang in Dec 2014 or brand new off the showroom floor. Cause there aint no way in hell you bought a brand new, never titled 2005 OR 2012 mustang (if you even have the v6) last Dec.

Why are you lying about stuff like this?
Not sure what's going on between you and the OP, but you sure have been making a lot of angry posts...Did he break up with you or something?
Old 02-20-2015, 04:41 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DanielGT
Not sure what's going on between you and the OP, but you sure have been making a lot of angry posts...Did he break up with you or something?
OP has previously been banned several times.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Don't know anything about the OP .... but a trick I was shown many many years ago with touchup paint is tear a match out of a book of matches and use the torn end as the brush.

I guess you can still buy matches .... we have a big box of books.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tiny paint chips