Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tiny paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Zerefi

Default tiny paint chips

i bought my car brand new off the factory and even though its getting old i try to maintain it like new and honestly i plan to keep it for the rest of my life.

im starting to notice i got some paint chips around the car that im assuming are from pebbles and etc on the road, like 10 all together, they are the side of tiny cookie crumbs and i doubt anyone else but me would notice but they are bothering the hell out of me lol.

do you guys have rock chips? i looked up a few "guides" online and on youtube on using touch up paint - but honestly when i look at the before and after pic it looks like **** after they use touch up paint (reminds me of putting toilet paper on shaving cuts) and i dont think its worth repainting the call to "do it right" - so should i just leave them?

in the end paint doesn't really affect anything but resale value right? i used to be even crazier when i first got the car and I would wash the car every few days, dust it every night and replaced the garage flooring of my old place with marble and...ya...

but im getting older and dont care as much just want to enjoy it and keep it nice. i still maintain like crazy but now i just mostly do touch less washing, so it should be okay right?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Perhaps www.drcolorchip.com is for you.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:00 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Got quite a few. I don't really pay attention to them and my car is immaculate. It happens and anyone who tries to avoid them is going to live a tortured life.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
ZGrand
2nd Gear Member

As long as you apply touch-up paint sparingly, it looks better than the paint chips IMO. I use a very fine artist's brush instead of the large brush that comes in the cap of the touch-up paint. Dab the paint into the chip rather than trying to "paint" it in. Clean the brush afterwards with lacquer thinner. I've been using the same brush for years.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I know Ford sells a touch up paint brush/pen. I haven't had to use it yet, but does the pen work?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:01 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I have used Dr Colorchip in the past. It works very well. However, for less money, you can pretty much do just as good of a job with touch up purchased from your local parts place.

I apply the touch up paint using the smallest brush needed (I have a selection of small brushes used only for touch ups). Let it dry for a couple of hours then I "shave the excess paint" that is outside of the chip with a straight razor blade that I bend slightly. Only bend the blade slightly to cause an arc in the blade. Basically, you don't want the sharp edges (or corners) to touch your paint. I repeat this process several times until the chip is filled in and level with the rest of the paint. Then I buff the area to blend everything. I have fixed multiple chips this way and they are almost invisible when done correctly.

It does take some practice, so don't jump into your most obvious chips first. Pick one that more hidden and fine tune your skills there.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM
09PonyPack

A little wet sanding and buffing does the trick after applying. Can't even tell they were there.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:50 PM
p0nypwr

omg I'm so **** about my car as I wash and was, yes wax, it every week spending at least 5hrs on the exterior alone. I don't have a garage and keeping the deep impact blue clean and shiny is pretty tough, and I currently have 11 chips in the 6 month old vehicle that drive me bonkers as I can spot them from 10 feet away.

I've tried touching up chips in the past with the small brush method but it always comes out horrible like a big bubble or doesn't fill it in all the way and looks out of place. Anyone have experience with the drchipcolor stuff? Is it as easy as their video shows and does it come out looking good?
Old 01-22-2015, 02:30 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
I have used Dr Colorchip in the past. It works very well. However, for less money, you can pretty much do just as good of a job with touch up purchased from your local parts place.

I apply the touch up paint using the smallest brush needed (I have a selection of small brushes used only for touch ups). Let it dry for a couple of hours then I "shave the excess paint" that is outside of the chip with a straight razor blade that I bend slightly. Only bend the blade slightly to cause an arc in the blade. Basically, you don't want the sharp edges (or corners) to touch your paint. I repeat this process several times until the chip is filled in and level with the rest of the paint. Then I buff the area to blend everything. I have fixed multiple chips this way and they are almost invisible when done correctly.

It does take some practice, so don't jump into your most obvious chips first. Pick one that more hidden and fine tune your skills there.
Next time can you make a video of how you do it?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Next time can you make a video of how you do it?
It's winter time here, so my car is currently off the road, on jack stands and covered up so "next time" could be months away. What specifically were you looking for? Maybe I can post pics or explain in a way that will help you understand my process.

Quick Reply: tiny paint chips