Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Bigger Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Cstrike26

Default Need Bigger Tires

So i am having a problem. I have 19x9 Boss Laguna Seca wheels with 255/45r19's Perelli Pzeros... And they SUCK! i have no traction and its horrible. What is the widest tire i can go with on that rim and what tire would you recommend for better traction and every day drive ability?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:48 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

You could run 275/40-19s. Are you looking for all season, or summer tires?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Cstrike26

Either or it doesnt matter to me
Old 01-18-2015, 08:54 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Most tire specs will tell you the width range for the wheels for a proper fit. But I'd consider tire compound as my first concern and tire width as secondary. Seeing that you're in Maryland, you may want to consider 2 sets of tires since any compound that gives you great traction in summer will get you killed, or at least your ride damaged, below roughly 45 degrees.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Most tire specs will tell you the width range for the wheels for a proper fit. But I'd consider tire compound as my first concern and tire width as secondary. Seeing that you're in Maryland, you may want to consider 2 sets of tires since any compound that gives you great traction in summer will get you killed, or at least your ride damaged, below roughly 45 degrees.
Completely agree with this. My Pzeros work great above 60 degrees, below that and I can walk a burnout in first or second gear with my 2015 5.0. They are scary in really cold weather. All season vs summer only makes a heck of a difference.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:44 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cstrike26
So i am having a problem. I have 19x9 Boss Laguna Seca wheels with 255/45r19's Perelli Pzeros... And they SUCK! i have no traction and its horrible. What is the widest tire i can go with on that rim and what tire would you recommend for better traction and every day drive ability?
Like everyone else said, you need a different compound. I see you're in Maryland, and if you're dealing with similar weather to what I'm getting in MA, wider tires will be MORE dangerous in wet weather. Get yourself some good all season tires instead of just summer tires. Same size as stock. It will save you some money too.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

I agree that two sets of tires might be the way to go (that's what I do). And, summer tires can be a little slippery below 45 degrees. But, I also think saying that the OP will kill himself simply by driving below 45 degrees is a bit extreme.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cstrike26
At this time of year, any summer performance tire in any size is going to suck at getting traction. All-seasons are slightly better, but I wouldn't count on them for too much more grip on bare pavement.

Develop a little patience, spring is on the way. Meanwhile, I suggest you start each drive with a short distance with the TC turned OFF. This is so you'll have a better idea about how much (or how little) grip you've got to work with before you have to stop or turn suddenly. Then turn it back on if you feel a need to, just don't forget anything you might have discovered with it off.

Learn to sense when there isn't much more traction left instead of hammering on through into a full-blown case of wheelspin. This keeps me properly conservative about my driving on a chilly track day until the tires have warmed up a bit, and it will benefit you even at your much slower street driving where your tires aren't going to heat up much at all.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-19-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:36 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I'm guessing the OP didnt realize he had summer-only tires and will have to wait till mid June to really know if they are as sticky as advertised

Quick Reply: Need Bigger Tires