Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF... how did this happen (licence plate)

Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

FYI - Texas does require front license plate. They closed the loophole a few years back and you can't get by with having it on your dash - you can still receive a citation.

Moot point probably since the dealer is going to give you one but I wanted to throw it out there.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Yea well at least I have it. Some people don't even have one. It is not my fault I was sold a car that has always been in Texas thats not in compliance with Texas law. Thanks Ford Dealer... Thanks for the info cruisin. I always want to be as legal as possible. It is a silly law though.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:26 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

i would look into a plate m0out that doesnt screw into the bumper. imo they look better anyway. they are not expensive either
Old 01-22-2015, 05:55 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Before you go drilling, take a look at Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets. I have one. Works great.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I so totally would guys! But get this... Since this car has been in texas its whole life... IT HAS THE HOLES ALREADY CUT IN IT. Some how somewhere the bracket gotten taken off either by the dealer or previous owner in some defiance of the law. Maybe he was dating a girl that liked a bad boy or something. Idk. The holes are already sticking out like a sore thumb, so all the hideaway options are out Either way it's upsetting I was sold a car by a Ford dealer that is not in compliance with state law, and I have to go out of my way tomorrow to get it fixed. At least it is not coming out of my own pocket... I hope. We'll see tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
IT HAS THE HOLES ALREADY CUT IN IT.
I think we got that from your first post. We were just offering alternatives. If the holes are already drilled it's not like it's that big of a deal to just screw a bracket in. It's like two screws.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I know I know thank you It's just a frustrating situation, I hope you can understand. The "reputable" Ford dealer said he would "just take one off another car", which is probably what happened to mine. But what about the next guy that comes along and buys that mustang? It's just kinda sad.

Craig's bracket actually looks really cool! For 49 dollars that even beats the hideaway ones from LRS or AM. Plus it looks great on the car based off your sig pic. It dosnt look like its just plasted on as some afterthought for a law. If worse comes to worse and I have to cough up $35 myself for a tiny plastic bracket, I might as well just go with that!

Thanks for your suggestions honestly. It's usually the small things that makes us car guys go crazy
Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

I had the opposite problem! I live in a market without a front tag (Atlanta), and I bought my car in a market that requires them (Baltimore). When I bought the car, it had the front bracket on it, and I didn't mind it. But then I joined a car club in my area and saw my car parked next to cars without front tag brackets and I decided it had to go! I wish they had left it off and hadn't drilled the holes.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

It does look so much better without it. This has been the longest stretch a car i own has ever not had a front licence plate, and I'm going to miss the look. If someone knows why it's the law to have a front one I'd love to know... I guess maybe something with front facing cameras? Idk
Old 01-23-2015, 10:16 AM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
I had the opposite problem! I live in a market without a front tag (Atlanta), and I bought my car in a market that requires them (Baltimore). When I bought the car, it had the front bracket on it, and I didn't mind it. But then I joined a car club in my area and saw my car parked next to cars without front tag brackets and I decided it had to go! I wish they had left it off and hadn't drilled the holes.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
I agree on the holes, especially since we don't need front plates in my state. I replaced the bumper to get rid of the holes, but this was my backup plan:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...&product_id=78

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF... how did this happen (licence plate)