Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF... how did this happen (licence plate)

Old 01-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
I was thinking about getting the flip down no show one, but I called the dealer that sold me the car, and they are "just going to take one off a model on hand"
I bought mine new,its a 14 and the dealer put the bracket and license plate on before I drove it home, so good for you on calling them and yes the two large holes in your bumper are for the bracket
Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Those bumper plugs actually look like a good product! If i do ever decide to go another way, I might put those in. Cause dang, i just got it put on, and holy cow that things is a big honkin mother. Bleh. Well at least I am legal now. I feel sorry for the next guy who buys a pretty ruby red 14 v6 mustang. He'll have to go through the same thing.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I've run several cars without front plates for years, Mustang included and currently without but after seeing this thread I got the notion to see what the law is and found that up until Sept. 1 2013 the law stated that you had to have a front plate but there was no penalty for not having it, so many law enforcement agencies didn't bother pulling over or citing for it. Now they've changed the law and there is a $200 fine for not having a front plate.

That explains why I haven't been pulled over for it in all those years, reckon I'll be joining everyone else with a hide a plate or something like it
Old 01-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Well i feel bad for those who move to the great state of Texas, then bang no front plate fee. If most of the union doesn't require it, then why do we? I know Texas likes to stand out, but it shouldnt in this way
Old 01-23-2015, 05:33 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Something else I'll mention here since it has to do with license plates. Texas offers theme plates with just the background, no personalization, that might make it a little less painless having a front plate. They don't cost quite as much as a personalized plate but they do incur a cost.

I purchased a theme plate background that is black with a barb'd wire border so I didn't have a white plate on the rear of my car. At least having to put this plate on the front won't be so bad.

Check'em out here... Texas Theme Plates
Old 01-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm with you, the Texas theme plates are really awesome. I think it's a win win for both the state and the client. I really wanted a black plate on my old white new edge. I got stuck with the really terrible sky blue landscape plate they used before the current one. But dang I like the new white plates at least. Texas did well with those. Now only if they would start making grabber blue ones...
Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

It's a non issue for me. I had to get a new front bumper about five years back and haven't run a front plate since. Most officers won't bother with it. It's one of those fix it tickets I believe. That and there are so many other cars out there without front plates from other states. I guess cops have bigger fish to fry where I live. (And now I will be pulled over for it next week).
Old 01-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

I would risk it... But cops around my town like to pull you over for going 5 over on a road where the closest thing to you is a cow chewing his grass and contemplating its life
Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
Well i feel bad for those who move to the great state of Texas, then bang no front plate fee. If most of the union doesn't require it, then why do we? I know Texas likes to stand out, but it shouldnt in this way
We have to run a front plate in Maryland as well, sucks, looks much cleaner up front without one