Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Lighter clutch or divorce...

Old 01-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
robs
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT Coupe
Default Lighter clutch or divorce...

Due to weather.. and my wife buying me a very nice car cover.. I haven't driven the Stang for any length of time in 3 weeks..

My Arthritis is GONE. No Pain. No limping. No agony waking me up in the middle of the night.. Been driving my wifes Wrangler with a 5 gear and a light clutch..

Everyone I've talked to says aftermarket is a little stiffer (2006 GT)... I've been in new cars that you breath on the peddle and it's on the floor..

Any hope or do I get a divorce from the Stang? I do not want to go back to all the pain...(after in traffic, I have to push on my knee to depress the stock clutch)...

I really do NOT want to go back to being in pain all the time (yes.. on prescription drugs for it)...
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
69 Mach I (awaiting restro) / 06 GT Boomtubes, sequential lights, AM tune(s), Hurst billet shifter, J & M LCAs, FRPP carbon fiber clutch pack, AM Bullitt rims & NT555s, Hot Rods, Eleanor grill, CDC Shaker...
Life is better at WOT!!

Last edited by robs; 01-21-2015 at 07:15 PM.
robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Prius...
Old 01-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005, Ford, Mustang GT
krazykevin

maybe trade for an auto?

New:
2006 GT, Redfire
Steeda Sports, Koni's, LCA, Relo Brackets, Off-Road H, Tuned
RIP:
2005 GT, Mineral Grey
krazykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Ford Mustang GT
DLAzrael43 DLAzrael
Send a message via AIM to dlazrael Send a message via Yahoo to dlazrael

twin disc clutches have reduced pedal effort
Go Fast Parts: 2.3L W140AX FRPP Whipple 550 HO Supercharger, PCV Delete, Pypes Violators Axleback, MAC Prochamber, FRPP 62mm Polished TB
Suspension: Steeda: Front/Rear Sways, Sport Springs, Pro-Action S/S, Chromoly LCA, Chromoly UCA, GT500 Strut Mounts
Driveline:Steeda Tri-Ax, DSS 4" Aluminum DS
Show:GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Chinstrap (awaiting install), GTS-IV Hood
dlazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
robs
3rd Gear Member

If I have to failmatic.. I stop driving... lay down and die... Roy.. may special death rain down on you and may your dead body never be found down at the bottom of a lake in a Prius while you're engaged in sexual congress with another man..

Gonna keep rocking the Jeep for a while and see what happens.
69 Mach I (awaiting restro) / 06 GT Boomtubes, sequential lights, AM tune(s), Hurst billet shifter, J & M LCAs, FRPP carbon fiber clutch pack, AM Bullitt rims & NT555s, Hot Rods, Eleanor grill, CDC Shaker...
Life is better at WOT!!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Mustang GT

Could the stang be your weekend warrior? Drive it when you want, have fun, but not everyday where it will hurt you.

Also, not sure if it was my mind playing tricks on me but when I changed to a braided steel clutch line it felt a little lighter.
2009 GT 5sp, Roush 560R package from Brenspeed, Stainless Works long tube headers, Koni yellows, steeda ultralight springs, steeda UCA/LCA, airaid intake, FRPP axle back, BAMA tuned, Dynotech DS, Godspeed wheels, GT500 Spoiler, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, AM Window Louvers, Agent 47 Mirrors
yourmyboybh1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs View Post
... Roy.. may special death rain down on you and may your dead body never be found down at the bottom of a lake in a Prius while you're engaged in sexual congress with another man.. ...
I don't care who you are, that $hit right there is funny!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Today's autos are much more reliable and efficent than yesterday's trannies. Switch to an auto, get it tuned to shift firmly if you want it a little more aggressive and then get off your Whambulance.

Motor Built by ST Motorsports
Tuned By Tony at Tuners Inc

11.05@129
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 GT500 07 GT vert

Sell your mustang.

wcgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
giaka

Vehicle: 2014 GT

Man up! :-)
giaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #11
Dino Dino Bambino
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazrael View Post
twin disc clutches have reduced pedal effort
That's true but they also cost double of what a single disc clutch would cost. Depends on whether you're happy with a $400-$500 single disc clutch that'll handle 400-500hp, or whether you prefer a $900-$1000 twin disc clutch that'll handle 900-1000hp.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #12
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

Get a spec stage 3+, then you'll have something to complain about!

I don't think any of the aftermarket clutches are going to be noticeably lighter than stock. Only way to get lighter is with a weaker pressure plate.

I don't think you should even be driving while taking prescription pain killers. I took oxy when I had kidney stones and I couldn't drive, it was down right dangerous even 12 hours after taking one.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ford Mustang GT

You'll maybe skoff at the suggestion I offer but ..... it works.

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...sion-MusEZ.htm

It's 40 mm thick, that is about 1.57 inches. It does not decrese effort but it changes where the pedal is at any point. When you drive your brake pedal never goes to the floor if the braking system is up to snuff, so why would you design the clutch operated by the other similar length leg adjoined at the butt in the same seat to go all the way to the floor at start up and nearly so when changing gears?

Tape a 2 X 2 X 1-1/2 piece of wood to your pedal and try it. That's like a piece of 2x4 (1-1/2" thick they are) cut 2" long and 2" wide.

I promise you, the effort won't change but the apparent effort it requires from you will drop a bunch because you will not be extending that left lag in near as straight a manner. Because of the angles the effort will seem less as it is just easier than straightening that leg all the way to the floor.

Back in the old days and other cars I've had the clutch pedal did not go to the floor and was often parked slightly higher than the brake as it does take more travel, so they started it higher.

And whatever you do ... Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by tbear853; 01-29-2015 at 09:38 PM.
tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #14
GreyZ

Vehicle: 2007 Nissan 350z

You could get a custom pedal made with different pivot points that would drastically decrease pedal effort, with a slightly longer throw.
GreyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
roegs
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear853 View Post
You'll maybe skoff at the suggestion I offer but ..... it works.

http://www.shop.bondraperformanceeng...sion-MusEZ.htm
I have one of these and it works great allowing me to sit further rearward. Prior to the pedal extension I had to be much closer to the steering wheel to push the clutch all the way to the floor.

Back to the OP's question on a lighter clutch. My left knee is not the best and I've wanted to get a lighter clutch for mine also. I few weeks back I sat in a new Corvette at the local dealership and could not believe how light the pedal was. I believe they use a twin disk setup, but its a night and day difference between mine. Any idea how they do it?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #16
roegs
1st Gear Member

Here is a guy that is pretty excited about the light pedal pressure of his ACT twin disk clutch. This happened to be on a SVT mustang, but I would think its worth checking into the ACT model for our cars.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...can-say-is-WOW!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #17
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Easy. I would get a divorce. Good reason as any. If your wife does not support you on this take it as a sign of things to come. Wish you the best.

Last edited by rogan01; 02-01-2015 at 11:30 AM.
rogan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #18
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogan01 View Post
Easy. I would get a divorce. Good reason as any. If your wife does not support you on this take it as a sign of things to come. Wish you the best.
He said divorce from the Mustang, not his wife.

OP: Twin Disc clutch FTW. When I had my 2000, I swapped from an Auto to a magnum T-56, and went with a Mcleod Twin Disc. That was a cable clutch and it still had lighter pressure than my 2011.

Also, keep in mind, you shouldn't be sitting far enough away that your leg is straight with the clutch pedal depressed, it should still have a slight bend in it. There are a multitude of safety reasons for this, especially in the event of an accident, so you might want to re-adjust your seating position as well.

2000AZ5.0GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
roegs
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogan01 View Post
Luckily the OP was only going to divorce his Mustang. Easy? Divorce your wife over a car issue? Hopefully you don't do marriage counseling.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #20
robs
3rd Gear Member

We're legally separated... been driving Jeep TJ with similar clutch effort... sits much higher.. no pain.. off prescription arthritis meds...no agony at 2:00am in morning... Stang up for sale..
Life is better at WOT!!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:03 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement