Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignitor Tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:26 PM
LOLBurnouts

Exclamation Ignitor Tick

Hey all,

Just had my first oil change at 5700ish miles. Now at 5900ish and I got what I think is the Ignitor tick...

Here's a video, its not as constant as other videos I've seen, but its there...

Kinda fed up with the car at this point, this will be the 6th or 7th time this car is going back to the dealer for yet another issue..

I've loved Mustangs my whole life like but it seems like every other week there is some new issue with this thing..

My question is, has there been any definite answer from Ford? Or the typical "its normal" B.S.? Not sure how it's normal for an engine to begin ticking after an oil change. Sounds kinda like the worn out, 45 year old original 302 in my 71 Comet!

Thanks for any help you all can provide, I really do appreciate it!

Last edited by LOLBurnouts; 01-26-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Do you mean "injector" tick? Was your camera sitting on the floor? I could hardly hear much more than some engine noise which almost sounded more like lifters (does the coyote USE lifters?) but I believe your problem is that your exhaust is too quiet. With a proper exhaust, you shouldn't be able to hear yourself think.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:32 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

I can't offer you any help, but I do hope you get this resolved. It sounds like you've already had a bumpy road and it's time now for you to be able to enjoy your Mustang.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:34 PM
LOLBurnouts

Originally Posted by Nuke
Do you mean "injector" tick? Was your camera sitting on the floor? I could hardly hear much more than some engine noise which almost sounded more like lifters (does the coyote USE lifters?) but I believe your problem is that your exhaust is too quiet. With a proper exhaust, you shouldn't be able to hear yourself think.
There's the typical injector chatter which you hear in the video and then there is the "tick tick" noise that happens every so often.

Perhaps I need to retake the video with my DSLR, its much better quality than my cellphone!

As for my exhaust, its stock shorties, cats and a Magnaflow Competition Catback. So it's the opposite of being too quiet.

My last DD was an old comet with a 302 with open headers and turndowns right after the collectors. I daily drove that thing for 7 years so I'm fully aware of loud exhaust LOL

Last edited by LOLBurnouts; 01-26-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:35 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
With a proper exhaust, you shouldn't be able to hear yourself think.
This is the truest thing I have ever heard in my entire life.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 PM
LOLBurnouts

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
I can't offer you any help, but I do hope you get this resolved. It sounds like you've already had a bumpy road and it's time now for you to be able to enjoy your Mustang.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I posted this thread because I've heard so much conflicting information.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I hear the injector noise but you've already identified that. The other ticking noise I'm not sure. Just going to go out on a limb here and say that it's the beginning of an exhaust manifold leak? Maybe check to make sure the midpipe is tightened up properly? Nothing really sounds like something I'd be too worried about though.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 PM
LOLBurnouts

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I hear the injector noise but you've already identified that. The other ticking noise I'm not sure. Just going to go out on a limb here and say that it's the beginning of an exhaust manifold leak? Maybe check to make sure the midpipe is tightened up properly? Nothing really sounds like something I'd be too worried about though.
The weird thing is that it is only between 850-2000 RPM... I will definitely check to ensure the exhaust bolts are all tight, thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

My exhaust was leaking where the midpipe connected to the manifold. Tightened it up and my ticking noise went away immediately. Similar RPM range too, mine was constant though and not intermittent that's why I'm not entirely sure that's what we're hearing with yours. Keep us posted!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by LOLBurnouts
Hey all,

Just had my first oil change at 5700ish miles. Now at 5900ish and I got what I think is the Ignitor tick...

Here's a video, its not as constant as other videos I've seen, but its there...

Kinda fed up with the car at this point, this will be the 6th or 7th time this car is going back to the dealer for yet another issue..

I've loved Mustangs my whole life like but it seems like every other week there is some new issue with this thing..

My question is, has there been any definite answer from Ford? Or the typical "its normal" B.S.? Not sure how it's normal for an engine to begin ticking after an oil change. Sounds kinda like the worn out, 45 year old original 302 in my 71 Comet!

Thanks for any help you all can provide, I really do appreciate it!
Hello LOLBurnouts,

Let’s get this checked out for you. First make an appointment with your Ford Dealer so they can fully diagnose it. Then, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Ignitor Tick