Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignitor Tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by LOLBurnouts
The weird thing is that it is only between 850-2000 RPM... I will definitely check to ensure the exhaust bolts are all tight, thanks!
Look for black soot along all the exhaust pipe connection points. If you see any, that's where the leak is.

http://hornskeith.com/04gto/exhaust%20leak.jpg
Old 01-29-2015, 08:07 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I sincerely doubt that this is exhaust related. This sounds like the "barbeque igniter tick" - you can definitely hear it in the clip if you have had experience with this. The OP stated that it started upon first oil change. This seems to be the common factor in many cases I have read - myself included. Mine started shortly after the first oil change at Ford dealership per specifications (2014 GT with Track Pack - 100% stock). I have seen "solutions" from "It's normal" to a complete engine tear down and even replacement and everything in between with only a few successes - I have read a lot about this. As far as I know there has been no definitive answer to this from Ford. I do not want to take mine in to the dealer for this because I don't want my car to be used as a guinea pig. If anyone has a definitive answer, please post. Would be the first I have seen. Again - cause is just an oil change for many (not all). Good luck to you with this!

Last edited by rogan01; 01-29-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 PM
LOLBurnouts

Thumbs up

Thanks for the vote of confidence! My main worry is the fact that there are so many posts and different solutions to it.

I've made a service appointment for this coming Monday, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Thanks to everyone for their advice and to Deysha for reaching out to me, I'll post an update after I see the dealer!

Originally Posted by rogan01
I sincerely doubt that this is exhaust related. This sounds like the "barbeque igniter tick" - you can definitely hear it in the clip if you have had experience with this. The OP stated that it started upon first oil change. This seems to be the common factor in many cases I have read - myself included. Mine started shortly after the first oil change at Ford dealership per specifications (2014 GT with Track Pack - 100% stock). I have seen "solutions" from "It's normal" to a complete engine tear down and even replacement and everything in between with only a few successes - I have read a lot about this. As far as I know there has been no definitive answer to this from Ford. I do not want to take mine in to the dealer for this because I don't want my car to be used as a guinea pig. If anyone has a definitive answer, please post. Would be the first I have seen. Again - cause is just an oil change for many (not all). Good luck to you with this!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:04 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Thanks for the vote of confidence! My main worry is the fact that there are so many posts and different solutions to it.

I've made a service appointment for this coming Monday, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Thanks to everyone for their advice and to Deysha for reaching out to me, I'll post an update after I see the dealer!
You're very welcome, LOLBurnouts!

Deysha
Old 02-03-2015, 10:21 PM
LOLBurnouts

Hey guys got an update.

So my service advisor called me a little while ago but I didn't hear it because my phone was on vibrate.

He explained that they have another 5.0 at the dealer with the same noise with around 10k miles. His diagnosis is that the sound is normal. He's been great to us and I'm inclined to believe him.

If Ford is saying it's normal I guess it's normal. My experience with engines tells me it may be an issue with oil not getting where it needs to or something of the sort but then again, I don't design engines LOL

Thanks again everyone, hopefully this helps anyone who might be having the same issue with their car.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:41 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

I have the same ticking sound in my car. The only time I hear it is when I start my car up for the first time for the day, but it goes away after the idle drops. The rest of the day I dont hear it. It only has 13k miles on it.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:28 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thank you very much for the kind update LOLBurnouts - Much appreciated. As I've noted, I think I have read most threads on this and solutions from Ford have ranged from "it's normal" to a full engine replacement or just trying random things it seems. I personally don't think it is "normal" - or requires an engine replacement either. If it is normal, why does it seem to happen (for many) right after a (first) oil change per Ford specs? - This MUST have something to do with it. Also, why does it affect some and not others with same years/engine? Or in some cases goes away after a few K miles only to return on next oil change. Just because the dealer has another 5.0 with the tick does not explain anything. I'm sorry you got the brush off - but at least they didn't start experimenting with your car like others have had happen - and why I won't go to a dealer for this until there is a solid diagnosis from Ford available somewhere (They own this - it is far too common for them not to really investigate). Your post and experience has indeed been very helpful - we are hoping to figure this out together! All the Best.

Hey guys got an update.

So my service advisor called me a little while ago but I didn't hear it because my phone was on vibrate.

He explained that they have another 5.0 at the dealer with the same noise with around 10k miles. His diagnosis is that the sound is normal. He's been great to us and I'm inclined to believe him.

If Ford is saying it's normal I guess it's normal. My experience with engines tells me it may be an issue with oil not getting where it needs to or something of the sort but then again, I don't design engines LOL

Thanks again everyone, hopefully this helps anyone who might be having the same issue with their car.

Last edited by rogan01; 02-05-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:37 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hey guys got an update.

Thank you for the update, LOLBurnouts!

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
I have the same ticking sound in my car. The only time I hear it is when I start my car up for the first time for the day, but it goes away after the idle drops. The rest of the day I dont hear it. It only has 13k miles on it.
You should have your dealer check into this for you as well, dslpow3r. Let me know what they say.

Thank you very much for the kind update LOLBurnouts - Much appreciated. As I've noted, I think I have read most threads on this and solutions from Ford have ranged from "it's normal" to a full engine replacement or just trying random things it seems. I personally don't think it is "normal" - or requires an engine replacement either. If it is normal, why does it seem to happen (for many) right after a (first) oil change per Ford specs? - This MUST have something to do with it. Also, why does it affect some and not others with same years/engine? Or in some cases goes away after a few K miles only to return on next oil change. Just because the dealer has another 5.0 with the tick does not explain anything. I'm sorry you got the brush off - but at least they didn't start experimenting with your car like others have had happen - and why I won't go to a dealer for this until there is a solid diagnosis from Ford available somewhere (They own this - it is far too common for them not to really investigate). Your post and experience has indeed been very helpful - we are hoping to figure this out together! All the Best.
The noises may not be the same as others, rogan01. You guys are always welcome to get second opinions at any other Ford Dealer. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 02-06-2015, 03:35 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Deysha,

Much appreciated. Thanks as always!

Originally Posted by FordService
Thank you for the update, LOLBurnouts!

You should have your dealer check into this for you as well, dslpow3r. Let me know what they say.

The noises may not be the same as others, rogan01. You guys are always welcome to get second opinions at any other Ford Dealer. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha

Last edited by rogan01; 02-06-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Deysha,

Much appreciated. Thanks as always!
You're very welcome, rogan01!

Deysha