Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im sure theres a thread here about CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 AM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Default Im sure theres a thread here about CAI

As the title says, Im in the market for a CAI. 2014 GT premium, brembo, (factory CAI), Pypes OR X pipe, cat deletes, Kooks mufflers, and a steeda tune for the cat deletes.

Ive been reading a bit and watching reviews on CAIs but still having a rough time getting passed all the sales fluff. ive dyno'd the car and i put down 380 RWHP @100 degree weather here in AZ. so how much will a cold air REALLY get me....

Ive been eyeing Steeda's CAI, and also JLT for a CAI. AIRRAID has gotten a couple reviews but if im about to drop $400 on a part, i'd like to make sure i go for one im really happy with. SOMEDAY i plan on adding shorty headers since the x pipe aready has cat deletes, and a BOSS 302 intake manifold. nothing more is desired as its my daily driver and my commute is less than 2 miles...

but, what are some CAIs that everyone has had the best luck with? (i will be using my SCT3 for the tune as well, just got to let steeda know what im doing and they'll send me a new map)

Thanks guys!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 AM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

You wont see massive gains from a CAI by itself, however they definitely look and sound great while still adding a small bump in power. We offer a kit with some really nice OE quality parts.

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...ml#prettyPhoto
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Xann27
As the title says, Im in the market for a CAI. 2014 GT premium, brembo, (factory CAI), Pypes OR X pipe, cat deletes, Kooks mufflers, and a steeda tune for the cat deletes.

Ive been reading a bit and watching reviews on CAIs but still having a rough time getting passed all the sales fluff. ive dyno'd the car and i put down 380 RWHP @100 degree weather here in AZ. so how much will a cold air REALLY get me....

Ive been eyeing Steeda's CAI, and also JLT for a CAI. AIRRAID has gotten a couple reviews but if im about to drop $400 on a part, i'd like to make sure i go for one im really happy with. SOMEDAY i plan on adding shorty headers since the x pipe aready has cat deletes, and a BOSS 302 intake manifold. nothing more is desired as its my daily driver and my commute is less than 2 miles...

but, what are some CAIs that everyone has had the best luck with? (i will be using my SCT3 for the tune as well, just got to let steeda know what im doing and they'll send me a new map)

Thanks guys!
Hey Xann,

You bring up some great points!

I am a huge fan of the Airaid Race Cold Air Intake myself.

We threw one on Project Coyote and could not be happier with the gains.

As many have stated, since your car is already tuned the increase will not be day and night but you will definitely notice a bit more pep. Not to mention, it looks great under the hood!

Check out The Project Coyote video:

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 PM
LOLBurnouts

Got an Airaid MXP. Careful, when it does rain in AZ, water WILL soak the filter and puddle up around the MAF.

I put a trash bag over the box when it rains. Looks like crap but keeps the water away. as a temp. fix.

I got the filter shield from Airaid but it looks terrible.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

As others have mentioned, you're not going to see a huge gain because you are already tuned, but you will definitely notice a minimal bump. It will be most noticeable at WOT and higher RPMs when the engine is gasping for more air. I went with an AirAid intake and I love it. As LOLBurnouts said, I have noticed some puddled water in the airbox sometimes when it rains. Not a big deal but something to keep an eye on.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yourmom6990
As others have mentioned, you're not going to see a huge gain because you are already tuned, but you will definitely notice a minimal bump. It will be most noticeable at WOT and higher RPMs when the engine is gasping for more air. I went with an AirAid intake and I love it. As LOLBurnouts said, I have noticed some puddled water in the airbox sometimes when it rains. Not a big deal but something to keep an eye on.
Interesting, I havent had my CAI on that long and really havent checked under the hood when I drive it the rain(which isnt much)But whos to say that a little water didnt get into the stock airbox since it is enclosed- just saying
Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Cobra4me
2nd Gear Member

Just put a airaid tube on it with the stock airbox and get a tune. they say the stock airbox is adequate
Old 01-31-2015, 08:53 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

spend money on something else
Old 01-31-2015, 09:05 PM
LOLBurnouts

Originally Posted by Cobra4me
Just put a airaid tube on it with the stock airbox and get a tune. they say the stock airbox is adequate
100 times this. Had I known back then what I know now, I would have saved the money.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

So, how can Steeda and other companies caim 35-40hp at the wheels with an intake and tune? ive only got the tune now, and an catless xpipe with mufflers. no intake. what intake really, will give me the best performance with what i already have?

Quick Reply: Im sure theres a thread here about CAI