Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im sure theres a thread here about CAI

Old 02-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
spend money on something else

like what?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:03 PM
LOLBurnouts

Originally Posted by Xann27
like what?
How about some ice cream or a pizza?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:42 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

You've already got the most important part, the tune, so just save your bucks and go for something else. Your exhaust isn't going to make any difference at your level.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Your car has a CAI. Save the money and buy something useful...or just donate it to your local animal shelter.

$400 for a hollow plastic tube? LOLzzzzz Right...I'll buy two!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
You've already got the most important part, the tune, so just save your bucks and go for something else. Your exhaust isn't going to make any difference at your level.

kk. thanks for the advice. i'll preobably look into the BOSS 302 intake manifold then. or suspension. since I should move on to new shocks and struts, as all i have now are Eibach springs.

BTW your car has oregon plates? you're from Mass? im originally from Or
Old 02-03-2015, 05:35 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

I spoke w/some Ford engineers & they swore no CAI worked better than the OEM on the last gen GT, like my '14. I've chatted w/a lot of folks who agreed w/Ford, some who take their car on the track. And you can see the various opinions voiced by members & vendors here & on other Stang sites.

But I'm also guessing a well designed aftermarket CAI may yield some slightly better results, especially @ higher RPMs. Will you be able to feel it tho? I dunno.

Having said that, I bought a Steeda CAI, mostly because of how much I respect Steeda's quality. I also purchased an SCT tuner from them loaded w/87 & 91 tunes. On the dyno & w/the 91 tune installed, the engine experienced a power increase of 25 RWHP/9 ft/lbs of torque pretty much across the board. How much of that was due to the CAI? Who can tell. I'm sure not going to go back & retrofit the OEM box to test it. I'm ASSUMING most of it was due to the Steeda tune, NOT the CAI, but then again, I'm not an engineer.

The Steeda CAI is a thing of beauty and it appears to seal well against the hood so I'm not too concerned about water getting in there from the rain (a significant issue for us here in SoFla during the summer.) I will also say that the CAI generates a lot more intake noise than OEM; it almost sounds like there's a turbo @ work if you really get into the pedal. I was a little surprised by that. I had a UPR CAI on my former Bullitt's 4.6l engine that didn't generate anywhere near the intake honk that the Steeda CAI makes. Perhaps the hood's heat extractor vents help contribute to this- again, I dunno, but it is significantly louder. Some folks may like it; me? I can live with or without it personally & after 3 months of it, I've gotten use to it now.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by spectreman
I spoke w/some Ford engineers & they swore no CAI worked better than the OEM on the last gen GT, like my '14. I've chatted w/a lot of folks who agreed w/Ford, some who take their car on the track. And you can see the various opinions voiced by members & vendors here & on other Stang sites.

But I'm also guessing a well designed aftermarket CAI may yield some slightly better results, especially @ higher RPMs. Will you be able to feel it tho? I dunno.

Having said that, I bought a Steeda CAI, mostly because of how much I respect Steeda's quality. I also purchased an SCT tuner from them loaded w/87 & 91 tunes. On the dyno & w/the 91 tune installed, the engine experienced a power increase of 25 RWHP/9 ft/lbs of torque pretty much across the board. How much of that was due to the CAI? Who can tell. I'm sure not going to go back & retrofit the OEM box to test it. I'm ASSUMING most of it was due to the Steeda tune, NOT the CAI, but then again, I'm not an engineer.

The Steeda CAI is a thing of beauty and it appears to seal well against the hood so I'm not too concerned about water getting in there from the rain (a significant issue for us here in SoFla during the summer.) I will also say that the CAI generates a lot more intake noise than OEM; it almost sounds like there's a turbo @ work if you really get into the pedal. I was a little surprised by that. I had a UPR CAI on my former Bullitt's 4.6l engine that didn't generate anywhere near the intake honk that the Steeda CAI makes. Perhaps the hood's heat extractor vents help contribute to this- again, I dunno, but it is significantly louder. Some folks may like it; me? I can live with or without it personally & after 3 months of it, I've gotten use to it now.
amazing feedback! thank you for all of this!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Im not sure what you have an auto or stick. If its an auto torque converter. Gear swap. Possibly save for a supercharger. The ford racing intake would probably be nice. You could add longtubes to that. Maybe some cams. There is a lot you can do it depends on what your willing to spend.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:55 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

If you're still thinking about a CAI, www.afepower.com , they make a CAI for your car.
I use their filters, which according to my tuner, pass a LOT more air. ( air = hp )
People can say what they want to, SVT can say what they want. But you don't see stock air boxes on the FRPP race cars.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:16 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
If you're still thinking about a CAI, www.afepower.com , they make a CAI for your car.
I use their filters, which according to my tuner, pass a LOT more air. ( air = hp )
People can say what they want to, SVT can say what they want. But you don't see stock air boxes on the FRPP race cars.
When did these cars become race cars? How is that remotely the same thing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Im sure theres a thread here about CAI