Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear driver side wheel sticking out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
is there anyway to actually confirm this? how should i go about checking the posi?
I think you can check the preload with a regular torque wrench.

Jack the right rear tire clear of the ground, block the left front tire, putting the transmission in neutral, and measuring the torque as you try to tighten a right rear lug nut. If the wheel turns freely with little torque reading - I think 20 ft-lbs or less - your Trac-lok is almost certainly worn out of spec.

There is no need to try measuring the torque if it's above the lug nut torque spec of 100 ft-lbs. If the torque is beyond 100, there is at least some limited slip capability left.

Adapted from Ford's service procedure for checking this which uses a special tool and a 200 ft-lb wrench.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-03-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: removed extra blank lines that were inserted by forum software
Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys i went with the steeda. AM didn't have them in stock unfortunately, i ended up buying it from amazon.
Amazon.com: Steeda 555-2551 Adjustable Panhard Bar for Ford Mustang: Automotive Amazon.com: Steeda 555-2551 Adjustable Panhard Bar for Ford Mustang: Automotive
Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I think you can check the preload with a regular torque wrench.

Jack the right rear tire clear of the ground, block the left front tire, putting the transmission in neutral, and measuring the torque as you try to tighten a right rear lug nut. If the wheel turns freely with little torque reading - I think 20 ft-lbs or less - your Trac-lok is almost certainly worn out of spec.

There is no need to try measuring the torque if it's above the lug nut torque spec of 100 ft-lbs. If the torque is beyond 100, there is at least some limited slip capability left.

Adapted from Ford's service procedure for checking this which uses a special tool and a 200 ft-lb wrench.

Norm
damn i'm not that good with car that much man i just drive it. would a local ford dealer be able to check this out for me for free? or do you have a vid or something to give me an idea? thanks bro
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys i went with the steeda. AM didn't have them in stock unfortunately, i ended up buying it from amazon.
Amazon.com: Steeda 555-2551 Adjustable Panhard Bar for Ford Mustang: Automotive Amazon.com: Steeda 555-2551 Adjustable Panhard Bar for Ford Mustang: Automotive
Unless they changed the picture or the part is incorrect ... that is not the Steeda panhard bar - http://www.steeda.com/steeda-adjusta...ar-555-2551-a/

See if you can stop shipment & we can get you squared away.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
damn i'm not that good with car that much man i just drive it. would a local ford dealer be able to check this out for me for free? or do you have a vid or something to give me an idea? thanks bro
I'm sure they can check it out for you, but I won't be putting any money on you getting the checking done "for free". More likely, they'll tell you it needs to be rebuilt or replaced even though it might still have a fair amount of life left in it.

If you've ever changed a flat tire, you've done most everything in that little procedure I wrote except the measuring part. I can turn a wrench and write descriptions and such, but a video producer/actor I am not.

FWIW, after about 7 years, it's unlikely to be as fully effective as the day it rolled off the production line. The nature of the Trak-Lok is that it gradually wears itself out even in normal driving.

Norm
Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Unless they changed the picture or the part is incorrect ... that is not the Steeda panhard bar - http://www.steeda.com/steeda-adjusta...ar-555-2551-a/

See if you can stop shipment & we can get you squared away.

Best Regards,

TJ
Yeah the pic is wrong but the discription is correct along with the part number. Do we get forum discount with steeda? Because amazon and steeda has the same price.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:54 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I'm sure they can check it out for you, but I won't be putting any money on you getting the checking done "for free". More likely, they'll tell you it needs to be rebuilt or replaced even though it might still have a fair amount of life left in it.

If you've ever changed a flat tire, you've done most everything in that little procedure I wrote except the measuring part. I can turn a wrench and write descriptions and such, but a video producer/actor I am not.

FWIW, after about 7 years, it's unlikely to be as fully effective as the day it rolled off the production line. The nature of the Trak-Lok is that it gradually wears itself out even in normal driving.

Norm
Haha alright brother. So the car has 42k miles with regular driving. What are the chances that its already worn out or need to be replace?