Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Supercharger Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Default Roush Supercharger Squeal

Finally pulled the string after almost 8 years. I installed a Roush 2300 Supercharger. I did the install myself, it took me about 4 days of spare time. When I started the engine it ran real smooth and quiet. When I was waiting for the car to get up to temp and making sure that there were no leaks it started to squeal. I put some belt dressing on it and sprayed lithium grease on the newly installed pulleys and it did not help. When I would rev the engine slightly the squeal would stop. I took it for a short drive and when the car was above an idle there was not any noticeable noise. Every time I came to a stop it would squeal again. The power was awesome, car idles and runs super smooth, no vacuum leaks. I noticed that when my son shut off the engine that the squeal continued even slightly after the drive belts came to a stop. Makes me wonder it it not something internal in the supercharger?? I followed the Roush instructions very carefully, did not find anywhere that I needed to put oil or any lubrication in the unit. Never did I notice whenever anyone installed a Supercharger that lubrication was necessary. In fact I have read that the supercharger has a self contained oil unit that only need service every 100k miles. Does anyone have any ideas how to stop he squeal?
Attached Thumbnails Roush Supercharger Squeal-pic2.jpg   Roush Supercharger Squeal-p1.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about the Roush kits, but Whipple blowers are shipped dry & must be filled with oil prior to use.
I would contact Roush..
Old 02-09-2015, 12:49 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Does it sound like a belt squeal or internal to the supercharger? If it is a belt squeal one of the pulleys or the alternator may not be perfectly aligned with the belt spinning around the other pulleys. If you find it to be the supercharger, I would contact Roush directly. On a seperate note, where is you crossover tube the connects your intake to the passenger valve cover?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:54 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by degeze
Does it sound like a belt squeal or internal to the supercharger? If it is a belt squeal one of the pulleys or the alternator may not be perfectly aligned with the belt spinning around the other pulleys. If you find it to be the supercharger, I would contact Roush directly. On a seperate note, where is you crossover tube the connects your intake to the passenger valve cover?
One last thing, mine also has a very low squeal at idle but I assume your is alot more noticable.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Ask Roush for their closest "Authorized Dealer" if you can't find the problem rather than harming your equipment. I had a Roush Supercharger installed & it was very quite.

Here's a good guy that installed my Roush Supercharger you could contact that might give you some advice. (Eric Voss):

https://www.facebook.com/VossPerformance

Last edited by Mr. D; 02-09-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:56 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

In response to the questions the supercharger squeal is coming from the supercharger itself, not from the drive belts. When you shut off the engine and the drive belts are almost at a complete stop there is a distinct squeal coming from the supercharger. The crossover tube is not installed because the air tube has a 5/8 inch fitting where the crossover tube has a 3/8 inch fitting as does the cam cover. I called Roush and it took over an hour to finally determine that the air tube sent was for a 2010 Mustang. The Roush rep then informed me that I needed to get a hold of American Muscle to correct the error that American Muscle made (it was drop shipped from Roush)?????

That said, American Muscle has been great, I had an issue with the wiring loom to the inter cooler pump. The relay that unplugs from the harness was missing. There was only one part number to the complete harness not just the relay. The car sat in the garage for an extra week waiting for the relay to be shipped. When the supercharger was ordered Roush sent a message stating the the supercharger was on back order. The mismatch of parts makes me wonder if they assembled an order from left over or return parts. American Muscle customer service thus far has kept this install from being a nightmare. I contacted them today about the mismatch in the crossover tube and the squeal of the supercharger, I will keep you posted as to their reply.

The pic is of the crossover tube, with the size mismatch I cannot install until I get the correct part. Most likely a smaller fitting for the air tube.
Attached Thumbnails Roush Supercharger Squeal-p3.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

So just a thought...

I was messing with my air/oil filter lines the other day. They go from my bypass valve to my valve cover. I drove the car and everything was fine. Got into my driveway and my blower was making the most godawful noise. I started and stopped the car a few times, turned the blower without the belt and everything seemed fine. I then started it again and started really listening for the source and it ended up being a vacuum line that was not tight enough. A couple turns of the screwdriver and it was fixed.

Sounded like a grinding high pitch squeel coming directly from my blower. Turned out it wasn't.

If your belt isn't moving and it's still squeeling, it's not your blower.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

My Roush TVS was shipped with oil. If you plug the ends where the crossover would be does that quiet the squeal? I would double check the vacuum lines too. Mine does have the usual supercharger whine at idle, but I'm guessing that's not what your hearing.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:20 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping to hear from American Muscle today, I will double check the vacuum lines tomorrow. I did notice that when I first start the car it is very quiet. After about a minute the squeal starts and gets louder as the car warms up. I have tape over the airtube port that the PVC crossover is supposed to be plugged into, the fitting mismatch as described above. That could be the source to the squeal, I will check tomorrow and let everyone know.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:40 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The mismatch has got to be the source of the squeel.

Quick Reply: Roush Supercharger Squeal