Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Supercharger Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Sounding more and more like a vacuum thing going on.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:31 AM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Just got off work, after midnight. American Muscle contacted me this afternoon and they are trying to resolve the issue with the air tube mismatch and squeal with Roush. I am most likely being overly cautious. Do not want Roush to void my warranty. It would be great if Roush would include a trouble shooting guide and maintenance instructions for the supercharger. Won't be able to work on it until Friday of Sat. Again, this install would have been a nightmare without American Muscles customer service.

An install pic
Attached Thumbnails Roush Supercharger Squeal-p4.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 05:34 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Seems to me like you want to keep blaming roush for what was likely AM's mistake, but you will never know what order was actually placed between AM and Roush. You could easily fix that crossover tube issue with off the shelf hoses and clamps for a temporary fix. Yeah, it sucks you would be out of pocket, but a little hose, some fittings for different sizes and clamps dont cost much. It would carry you until the real part comes in. I had my SC installed by a roush dealer and had zero problems while I had the car. I hope you get your issue fixed quickly and are able to enjoy all of the new found power without fear. As far as the warranty, you're not going to void it. Regardless of who made the mistake in shipping/ordering you are still covered.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Question

Today I started the car, the car runs quiet for about the first five minutes. I seems like the warmer the temperature gets the louder the squeal, I just cannot seem to locate it. I torqued all the intake and supehttps://mustangforums.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gifrcharger bolts to spec as per instructions, but if it were a vacuum issue then one would think it would squeal at start up, not just when the car reaches operating temp.. Any Ideas???????

American Muscle got back with me and thought it was a vacuum issue, checked all hoses, again nothing makes noise. Engine runs smooth. No misses or hic-ups

Also, not looking to place blame, When the supercharger was ordered I received notice from Roush that it was on back order. Without notice a week later it shows up, a direct drop ship from Roush. The missing parts and mismatched parts are not the fault of American Muscle, the correct supercharger was ordered. The missing inter cooler relay came direct from Roush as did the mismatched parts. I talked with a Roush tech for almost two hours to get him to understand what the PVC air tube mismatch was. After that time he tells me that the air tube is most likely for a 2010 mustang, but rather than give me a part number to give to American Muscle, I was told to contact AM. Not placing blame, but poor customer service by Roush is evident. The only source that I have received any help is from American Muscle. I have yet to be able to attest to whether or not Roush make a great product, but customer service is poor at best.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Roush does make good products, but that's not to say that they are without fault. You could have a faulty component. Did you get the right air tube yet? I know that my '10 had an M90 and it required a couple of different parts over the 09 and earlier. Can you maybe take a video of the sound and where it is coming from? Also, can you take a couple of better pics of the air tube that you have and maybe someone who is running the same model SC and 09 or older could weigh in after they saw the pics or post their pics?

I know on older cars, that vacuum was everything. A leak could make it where anything from your cruise control to your heater wouldn't work right. To be sure, you should run a vacuum test.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I don't smoke but if you do...
Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Smile

The problem has been solved!!!!!!! I ran the car without the belt on, just for a moment, squeal was still there. Sprayed starter fluid along the seams of the intake manifold to see if there would be a surge in idle. Finally noticed that the noise was greater under the left side of the car. While looking I accidentally pulled the oil dip stick out and the noise stopped. Yup! of all things the car became silent once the oil dip stick was pulled.

After further investigation I figured out that there was a vacuum build up internally through obviously the oil pan which was causing this ungodly high pitched squeal. With the left side PVC valve connected and the right side PVC ports plugged waiting for the parts to be shipped from Roush the crankcase ventilation was not working properly causing a build up of vacuum internally. I would place my finger over the dip stick tube and literally feel the vacuum pressure on my finger.

Needless to say I was thrilled with the easy fix, just did not realize how much vacuum goes through the PVC system. Thanks for all the help, a couple of my fellow forum members hit the nail on the head. I was looking for an external vacuum issue when the vacuum problem was internal. Now I can go out and see how this beast will drive once the snow melts, I have a feeling that traction is going to be a concern.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:01 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

^ Glad to hear.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:13 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StantheMan
this beast will drive once the snow melts, I have a feeling that traction is going to be a concern.
Don't turn off your TCS until you start getting accustomed to the new power. Have fun though getting there!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Glad to hear. Did you figre out exactly where the squeel came from? I guess it was actually leaking right through the dipstick tube.

Quick Reply: Roush Supercharger Squeal