Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please assist- Grinding/hissing noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 01:54 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Please assist- Grinding/hissing noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd

Hi all,

Many of you may be familiar with my previous posts on this forum. At 14,500 miles the 2nd gear synchro on my MT82 went out and I brought the car to a dealer for a warranty repair that they ended up denying. After 6 weeks, escalation to Ford corporate, and moving my car to another dealer, Ford replaced the transmission under warranty and returned my car to me.

Nearing about 800 miles on my new transmission a new issue has popped up that I did not experience on the previous transmission, and has occurred for approximately the last 500 miles. If you ask why I haven't gotten this addressed it is because the nearest dealer to me is an hour away, this car is my only transportation, I cannot drive a rental car because I do not meet the minimum age limit in my state, and I was hoping it was just a noise from the initial break in period. It seems, after all, that this is not the case so now I need to get it addressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49QZ...ature=youtu.be

This video is shot from right above the shift boot.

0:00 - Starting from completely stopped in first gear.
0:10 - Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (listen for the light grinding/hissing noise during the shift and while accelerating in 2nd gear)
0:15 - Shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear (notice that the noise is not present in 3rd gear)
0:18 - Shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear (listen for noise while accelerating in 4th gear although not as loud as in 2nd gear)

The noise isn't effected by transmission temperature or air temperature, however, it does seem more prevalent when the car has been driven, sat for a while, and then driven again.

I put the car on a lift and it seems everything has been installed correctly, bolts are tight, nothing is in the wrong direction. Interestingly enough the shift support bracket on this shifter was painted yellow as opposed to the grey/black colors I have seen in YouTube videos.

The noise sounds to me like the shifter is slightly misaligned somehow and is causing very slight rubbing of something internal to the transmission.. like the shift forks against the sleeves that push the sychro onto the gear. However this is just a hypothesis and I cannot find anything on YouTube or on these forums that is like this issue.

While I was under the car I found the rear pinion seal and axle vent leaking so I have an appointment early in the morning this Friday to have these two items taken care of under warranty. This is my opportunity to have someone from a dealer sit in the car and listen to the issue, but sometimes it is not reproducible for whatever reason.

1. Has anyone seen anything on this issue anywhere?
2. What should I be calling this so I can accurately describe the noise to a technician?

Thanks guys, I'm hoping for good luck this time around.

Last edited by iamzatch; 02-10-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Anybody with this issue?

The tech that rode with me described this as a "normal noise" despite it being loud, annoying, and bad sounding just like in the video.

I'm not sure what to do to move forward with this.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by iamzatch
Anybody with this issue?

The tech that rode with me described this as a "normal noise" despite it being loud, annoying, and bad sounding just like in the video.

I'm not sure what to do to move forward with this.
You’re welcome to bring it in to a different Ford Dealer for a second opinion, iamzatch. Let me know what they say.

Deysha
Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordService
You’re welcome to bring it in to a different Ford Dealer for a second opinion, iamzatch. Let me know what they say.

Deysha
I am already bringing to the second dealer for a second opinion. The first dealer I dealt with that is local to me (5 minutes away) was a complete disaster and caused me to have no car for over 6 weeks. The second dealer which actually fixed my car is an hour away. Now I have this noise and its suggested I drive even farther out of my way to have my vehicle looked at?
Old 02-16-2015, 02:44 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by iamzatch
I am already bringing to the second dealer for a second opinion. The first dealer I dealt with that is local to me (5 minutes away) was a complete disaster and caused me to have no car for over 6 weeks. The second dealer which actually fixed my car is an hour away. Now I have this noise and its suggested I drive even farther out of my way to have my vehicle looked at?
No, iamzatch. However, your dealer is our eyes and ears. If they are advising this is “normal,” all I can advise if for you to have a new set of ears listen to it.

Deysha
Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 AM
om3n

@iamzatch, I kept up with your other thread as well and I am so sorry you've had such absurd problems with this transmission and with dealerships. What a pain in the butt. I hope the second dealer can help you out- I had issues with my MT-82 and had to drive over an hour away to get a reasonable dealer to repair mine under warranty too, so I feel your pain.

My trans issue was the common whining sound from 1-4 and 6th gear though, not the grinding you are experiencing. Regardless, good luck.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:31 PM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n
@iamzatch, I kept up with your other thread as well and I am so sorry you've had such absurd problems with this transmission and with dealerships. What a pain in the butt. I hope the second dealer can help you out- I had issues with my MT-82 and had to drive over an hour away to get a reasonable dealer to repair mine under warranty too, so I feel your pain.

My trans issue was the common whining sound from 1-4 and 6th gear though, not the grinding you are experiencing. Regardless, good luck.
Unfortunately I'm just tired of this its worn me down too much really. Probably going to trade the car in this week.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:50 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I was hoping someday to trade up to a '13-'14 GT with a 6MT but after reading about all the problems that seem to be cropping up with the MT-82, I'll probably stick with the car I have and just add more upgrades.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 AM
9050scott

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
I was hoping someday to trade up to a '13-'14 GT with a 6MT but after reading about all the problems that seem to be cropping up with the MT-82, I'll probably stick with the car I have and just add more upgrades.
I have 20,000 miles of mine as a daily driver and have had a few small annoyances but no problems. You have to remember that people post when they have problems, you can't base all of them off of the problems of a few.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 AM
iamzatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9050scott
I have 20,000 miles of mine as a daily driver and have had a few small annoyances but no problems. You have to remember that people post when they have problems, you can't base all of them off of the problems of a few.
This is 100% true, for the times my transmission was working it has been fine. I fault fords service departments more for my issue than the transmission.

Quick Reply: Please assist- Grinding/hissing noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd