Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self bleeding kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

Default Self bleeding kit

Hey guys, I'm looking to bleed the brakes on my car. Does anyone have any recommendations on a self bleeding kit?? It's for a 2005 ford mustang gt.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

http://www.motiveproducts.com/ . . . it's on my list as I type this.

Make sure you get the right kit - apparently there are some differences. The kit says "GM", but in the description it also claims applicability to S197 Mustangs.

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.c...it-_p_104.html

I think you have to do a 'dry' pressure bleed and keep checking the reservoir due to the screen under the cap on your reservoir.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-11-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Fwiw, I bought SpeedBleeders from Summit Racing. They're one way bleeder valves for your calipers. Then you just run a rubber hose into a bottle and pedal it yourself.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

I bled my brakes with a 2 liter pop bottle and some clear tubing from lowes.

Put a little grease around the threads of the bleeder. Attach the tubing to the bleeder nipple. Make sure the hose us running up over the bleeder then down into the bottle. Crack the bleeder. Pump the brakes nice and slow, making sure to keep the reservoir topped off with fresh fluid. Keep doing this until there is no bubbles in the tubing just solid fluid. Close the bleeder. Do this four times and your are done.

I saw this method on youtube and was weary of if it would work, but sure enough it worked perfectly.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.

But unless you're willing to provide the link and a lot more description this falls into the category of bad advice. There's just too many ways for somebody reading only this thread to screw it up.

There's a lot of iffy things on youtube. Well-intended, but still iffy.

Gravity bleeding - what I suspect this youtube procedure is supposed to simulate - works because there is no force ever trying to suck fluid out of the tube and back into the caliper. I would never trust a tube to not drain and generate its own air bubble, grease around the bleed fitting or not.

And if I wouldn't trust a procedure for when I'm braking from 125 or so down to 70 for a corner at the track (or only from 100 to 55 like in my avatar picture), I'm not going to trust it for general use among other traffic on the street.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-12-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I suspect the method Stangbass used was a variation of the old school one person bleed, used a longer clear hose just to be able to see the bubbles, but basically the tube in the bottle ends at the bottom below the fluid level in the bottle so that if there is any pull back, it only pulls back fluid as the bubbles rise to the surface in the bottle.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I understand the theory of that, just don't trust that the tube is completely cleared of air from the get-go and that it can never rise above the level of the fluid in the bottle.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-12-2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: edit out blank lines inserted by forum software
Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

the video I referenced. The tube is dry when you start. It basically becomes an extension of the brake line when you open the bleeder and pump it with fluid. By running the tubing up over the bleeder, any bubbles will get pushed to the surface, which in this case would be the crest of the clear tubing. If you do have air drawing into the system(which I did on my driver front) it will be easily visible as you will get a constant uniform source of bubbles not like the uneven bubbles from air in the line. Put some grease on bleeder threads and finished bleeding it out.

Just throwing this method out there. Probably not the fastest method, but it worked perfectly for me. I found quite of few other examples of people using the exact same method. Clear tubing bottle brake bleed
Old 02-13-2015, 01:10 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

interesting. with the video above do you need to press on the brake slowly all the way to the floor and then realese slowly? also he mention on the video about the ABS. i have a 2008 gt500 where and how many ABS is my car have?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

That is the method I used, slow pump and release. My understanding is that you need a scan tool to bleed the ABS system.

Quick Reply: Self bleeding kit