Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque socket wrench vs regular socket wrench.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:36 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Default torque socket wrench vs regular socket wrench.

so since i been getting in to more manly things such as fixing the car or whatever need fixing on the house. i been thinking about buying more tools. and my next tool that i'm planning to buy is a wrench. now I've seen people use torque wrench for tightening bolts on cars or whatnot. what are the benefits of a torque wrench over regular wrench? and how accurate are they?

the reason why i ask this is because i been watching vids and i see a lot of them use torque socket wrench and only a hand full of people use regular socket wrench.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:18 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
so since i been getting in to more manly things such as fixing the car or whatever need fixing on the house. i been thinking about buying more tools. and my next tool that i'm planning to buy is a wrench. now I've seen people use torque wrench for tightening bolts on cars or whatnot. what are the benefits of a torque wrench over regular wrench?
you can tighten fasteners to their specified torque.

and how accurate are they?
far more accurate than you can do it by feel.

the reason why i ask this is because i been watching vids and i see a lot of them use torque socket wrench and only a hand full of people use regular socket wrench.
every single bolt, nut, and screw on your car has a specified tightening torque. This prevents both overtightening and damaging either the part or the fastener, and ensures it's tight enough not to back out.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:21 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Torque wrench is used to tighten a fastener (nut) to the manufacturer specifications. For example, the lug nuts on your wheels I think are spec'd to 115 lbs. If you overtighten them, you can break the stud off of the car and depending on the car, that can be a cheap easy fix or a very bad day. If you don't tighten enough, then you run the risk of the nuts coming loose and also having a very, very bad day. You can get torque wrenches that are old school manual to fancy pants digital ones. As far as their accuracy, it will generally have a rating in the manual of how close they come to the setting you've indicated. Some are extremely accurate and also extremely expensive while others are cheap and a "close enough for government work" accuracy. Personally, when you're just starting to buy tools I would advise that you have 3 categories. Category 1 - disposable tools that you don't care if they break, lost, stolen, loaned out and never come back. Category 2 - Expensive, accurate tools that don't get loaned out and are completely dependable every single time. Category 3 - Tools with a sentimental value. My father was a miner and his rock hammer falls into that category. That's the tool that I would consider physically hurting you if you mess with it. Nobody touches it but me. I think a torque wrench falls into Category 2. Mine is a snap on torque that I permanently "borrowed" from my father in law when he pissed me off for "borrowing" one of my electrical tools and a set of security hex wrenches. However, I also have a backup torque wrench that is a Category 1. It's a cheap, Harbor Freight 15 dollar job. I've never even taken it out of the box. If my C2 torque breaks, then C1 will come out.

For common, everyday work though, I generally use the how much force did I use to take that bolt off is how much force I use to put it back on rule with straight old open or closed box end wrenches. Anything that is delicate or moves and could hurt, maim or kill gets a torque wrench. Don't waste your time with the torque taking the nut off. Use it for installing. Removal torque is immaterial and causes unneeded wear and tear IMO on an expensive tool.

I also don't trust that a battery will be there for me, so I will stick with purely mechanical torque. You set the desired torque on the wrench, tighten the fastener until you hear and feel the wrench give you a little click and then I like to click again. With wheels, I will go all the way around and click twice, then around a second time with a single click.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:24 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
far more accurate than you can do it by feel.
I prefer smell torquing myself. I have seen a taste torquer before, but tongue splinters forced him into an early retirement.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

You need both. Torque wrenches are going to be for those final turns to the specified torque ratings. Your regular old socket wrenches are going to be for everything else, not to mention you'll need different size socket wrenches for all those nooks and crannies.

If you get good enough, you can tell how far it's torqued just by hearing it. Every foot-pound really makes a distinctive sound.

(that last part was sarcasm)
Old 02-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on both. Torque wrenches have their place but they're NOT for everyday wrenching.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:27 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys. yeah i just been curious on why some people use different type of torque. i always use the"remember how much force did i use to take off that bolt method" but i know its not accurate. so basically i need a torque wrench for parts that are expensive or a priority to your safety if it break such as wheels. thanks guys

and prefer brand? i saw one from amazon its 1/2 which should be for general use.
Amazon Amazon

this is probably a category 1 tool.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:30 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Torque wrench is used to tighten a fastener (nut) to the manufacturer specifications. For example, the lug nuts on your wheels I think are spec'd to 115 lbs. If you overtighten them, you can break the stud off of the car and depending on the car, that can be a cheap easy fix or a very bad day. If you don't tighten enough, then you run the risk of the nuts coming loose and also having a very, very bad day. You can get torque wrenches that are old school manual to fancy pants digital ones. As far as their accuracy, it will generally have a rating in the manual of how close they come to the setting you've indicated. Some are extremely accurate and also extremely expensive while others are cheap and a "close enough for government work" accuracy. Personally, when you're just starting to buy tools I would advise that you have 3 categories. Category 1 - disposable tools that you don't care if they break, lost, stolen, loaned out and never come back. Category 2 - Expensive, accurate tools that don't get loaned out and are completely dependable every single time. Category 3 - Tools with a sentimental value. My father was a miner and his rock hammer falls into that category. That's the tool that I would consider physically hurting you if you mess with it. Nobody touches it but me. I think a torque wrench falls into Category 2. Mine is a snap on torque that I permanently "borrowed" from my father in law when he pissed me off for "borrowing" one of my electrical tools and a set of security hex wrenches. However, I also have a backup torque wrench that is a Category 1. It's a cheap, Harbor Freight 15 dollar job. I've never even taken it out of the box. If my C2 torque breaks, then C1 will come out.

For common, everyday work though, I generally use the how much force did I use to take that bolt off is how much force I use to put it back on rule with straight old open or closed box end wrenches. Anything that is delicate or moves and could hurt, maim or kill gets a torque wrench. Don't waste your time with the torque taking the nut off. Use it for installing. Removal torque is immaterial and causes unneeded wear and tear IMO on an expensive tool.

I also don't trust that a battery will be there for me, so I will stick with purely mechanical torque. You set the desired torque on the wrench, tighten the fastener until you hear and feel the wrench give you a little click and then I like to click again. With wheels, I will go all the way around and click twice, then around a second time with a single click.

by the way you said that each bolts and nuts on my car has a specific torque requirement. where can i find these specification? the manual maybe? getting ready to change my pan hardbar and i might need the torque specification for that.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys. yeah i just been curious on why some people use different type of torque. i always use the"remember how much force did i use to take off that bolt method" but i know its not accurate. so basically i need a torque wrench for parts that are expensive or a priority to your safety if it break such as wheels. thanks guys

and prefer brand? i saw one from amazon its 1/2 which should be for general use.
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-24335-2...=torque+wrench

this is probably a category 1 tool.
by the way you said that each bolts and nuts on my car has a specific torque requirement. where can i find these specification? the manual maybe? getting ready to change my pan hardbar and i might need the torque specification for that.
You'll need a torque wrench for almost everything on the vehicle. Don't install any parts that affect the vehicle's performance without being able to torque it to the proper specs. I like Chilton's manuals. They have all the torque specs. You can get it online.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Research the quality of that Tekton wrench. IMO, I'd spend a few extra $$'s for something by Rigid, Craftsman or other brand name.

Quick Reply: torque socket wrench vs regular socket wrench.