Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best engine bay clean method. both with water and without.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 04:29 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Default best engine bay clean method. both with water and without.

hey guys i wanted wanted to know what kind of engine bay cleaner do most of you guys use? i'm looking for both with water and without water method.

my engine bay looks really dirty.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Pr0cl1v1ty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
hey guys i wanted wanted to know what kind of engine bay cleaner do most of you guys use? i'm looking for both with water and without water method.

my engine bay looks really dirty.
I also am curious of this, I would think that a mild degreaser would be good, maybe someone else knows best.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

A steam genny(professional power washer that also produces steam) is awesome if you can get your hands on one with a degreaser. If not a power washer is the next best way to attack it.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Elbow grease seems to work well.
Getting the engine bay clean after it's been neglected can seem daunting, but you don't have to do it all in one go, focus on one area and get it clean, then another day focus on another area and then touch up the area you already did. It won't take too long until you're looking for areas that aren't clean, and your touch-up time isn't much at all.
A word of warning though, once your engine bay is clean you will look for ways to make it look even better...
Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I use a heavily diluted mixture of castrol superclean. I think like 20:1 or something like that, it has it on the bottle. Spray it down, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse and repeat until all the grease is gone.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:31 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Interesting suggestion by Glocker...

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
For the engine bay, try a motorcycle engine cleaner called S100. Lightly wet the engine bay, spritz on the S100, wipe it around with a sponge, and then lightly rinse it off the motor. It acts like simple green and tire dressing at the same time! It cuts the grease and dirt and leaves a nice shiny surface behind!

Before:

After:

Last edited by waykooljr; 02-16-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:36 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

but all of these required water. what about with no water at all? or is water a must to clean the engine bay? i'm just afraid to get some of the electrical wet or parts to crack. i usually have to drive to a car wash to wash my car so getting there will required my car to be warm or hot.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:39 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500
but all of these required water. what about with no water at all? or is water a must to clean the engine bay? i'm just afraid to get some of the electrical wet or parts to crack. i usually have to drive to a car wash to wash my car so getting there will required my car to be warm or hot.
underhood is a "wet" zone. it's exposed to splash from the tires and road all of the time.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner, spray it down on a cold engine and lightly rinse. Waterless after it is clean I use Meguiar's Detailer mist and 2 rags. If it is dirtier than Meguiars I use the rag I wipe the wheels of with first and the the Detailers mist.
Wax it with Turtle Wax Ice, makes it a lot easier to clean the next time.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

HA! waycooljr beat me too it!

When I did that, I used a very light mist of water to wet the engine bay before using that motorcycle engine cleaner. Then to get the motorcycle engine cleaner off, I only used the amount of water necessary, lightly misting it until it was all rinsed off.

Funny thing; I paid $13 for that bottle of S100 from a local motorcycle shop and I've only used a really small fraction of it. I've only had to clean up my engine bay one time, and now after every wash I do a quick wipe down (maybe 3 to 5 minutes) with a microfiber towel and then I dress up the plastics with Meguiar's Ultimate Black.

Granted, I don't drive my car in the rain anymore; that helps maintain the fresh look under the hood. But the quick wipe down after a wash goes a long way towards maintaining that engine bay!

Quick Reply: best engine bay clean method. both with water and without.