Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0171 weird

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:26 AM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
spray round the TB and intake manifold. also valve covers and pcv hoses
if you have access to a smoke machine that would be awesome. smoke test it into the booster line to the engine.

i have a feeling that the MAFS may be damaged. it happens quite often if you clean them. its safer to leave them alone and only attempt to clean them if your throwing a code for it.

do you have access to a scan tool with live data? you could see what the MAFS is reading and be able to tell if it is out of range.

Usually a mass air flow sensor throws a code for lean on bank 1 and 2 but occasionally it is just the one.

you could also check live data on the 02 sensors. see how it compares from bank 1 and 2.

(sorry i know I'm throwing a lot of info out but unfortunately its a very vague code)
im a mechanic so feel free to keep asking. Happy to help

thanks brother, haha yeah you kinda threw a lot at me there but i was able to hang for a bit haha. no i don't have a live scan tool, i will have to buy one soon i guess, if the sct4 is not cutting it. any brand in particular? also where can i buy one? just for the record it was throwing p0171 already before i clean the MAF and the TB. i'm not sure if it's the tune but for now i put everything in stock and just waiting for the cycle to go and see if it will throw me the CEL again, but i know there is a vacuum leak somewhere i have here a video of the hissing sound now that was not there before. the hissing sound started even before i installed the CAI

i do have a fog machine that i can use to check for the vacuum leak, i just don't know where to plug them in, do you happen to have a picture on where to plug them in? i'm still getting use to all the parts of my car so telling me a name of a hose will not help lol(i'm behind help)

also do you know if i will pass smog if i installed a steeda 2.65 pulley on my car with the stock tune? the reason why i ask is because once i fix the vacuum leak problem i want to put my steeda CAI back in there along with my 2.65 steeda pulley but having the pulley install cost $100 so i was wondering when i'm do for a smog can i simply take the CAi off and leave the pulley in there and put my car back to the stock tune, would i pass smog? and also would my car be ok with a 2.65 pulley with the stock tune?

sorry i kinda threw a lot at you there, but you did say your a mechanic hahaha thanks bro
Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Amazon.com: Autel (MaxiScan MS309) OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel (MaxiScan MS309) OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool: Automotive

thats the cheep one i have that i will let customers borrow if they are checking their readiness. its easy to use and way cheep.

it does sound like a vacuum leak but usually if you have a leak that loud it would be running very poor.
i don't have a picture handy but where your brake master cylinder is, behind that is the booster and you'll see a hose coming from it. remove the hose (just a ****** plastic fitting in a rubber sleve) and put the smoke into the hose side.

how do the breaks feel when your driving it? a vacuum leak can also make the pedal feel weird and do some strange stuff.
i would maybe try and replace the PCV valve on the valve covers. they are cheep and commonly fail or break. or at least see how tight the valve fits into the grommet in the valve cover. its a little tricky when I'm not looking at the car haha,

as far as your pulley. I'm pretty sure it would pass smog. they changed it in 2015 to where they don't even use a dyno on newer cars, they just plug in and read the monitors so as long as it doesnt do anything weird with the computer you'll be fine.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:10 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Amazon.com: Autel (MaxiScan MS309) OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool: Automotive

thats the cheep one i have that i will let customers borrow if they are checking their readiness. its easy to use and way cheep.

it does sound like a vacuum leak but usually if you have a leak that loud it would be running very poor.
i don't have a picture handy but where your brake master cylinder is, behind that is the booster and you'll see a hose coming from it. remove the hose (just a ****** plastic fitting in a rubber sleve) and put the smoke into the hose side.

how do the breaks feel when your driving it? a vacuum leak can also make the pedal feel weird and do some strange stuff.
i would maybe try and replace the PCV valve on the valve covers. they are cheep and commonly fail or break. or at least see how tight the valve fits into the grommet in the valve cover. its a little tricky when I'm not looking at the car haha,

as far as your pulley. I'm pretty sure it would pass smog. they changed it in 2015 to where they don't even use a dyno on newer cars, they just plug in and read the monitors so as long as it doesnt do anything weird with the computer you'll be fine.
thanks brother yeah its funny because i don't feel a lost in power, could the leak be somewhere where it doesn't affect the computer? i was so eager t oget a live scan tool that i pick this one up
Amazon.com: Actron CP9575 AutoScanner: Automotive Amazon.com: Actron CP9575 AutoScanner: Automotive
that one should also work too right?

my break is fine i don't feel anything strange about it.

thanks for the info about the pulley. but having an after market pulley on the car with a stock tune should be fine right?

i will check all the pvc hose and also try the smog method thank you soo much brother
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 PM
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member

Amazon.com: Autel (MaxiScan MS309) OBD-II Code Reader / Scan Tool: Automotive

heres another video from the cabin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_IQ...ature=youtu.be