Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first start up after winter hibernation

Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Default first start up after winter hibernation

not touched the key since the day i changed the oil and shut it down mid september.
the weather is starting to break here now..spring is just weeks away.
so nervously i opened the garage and turned the key.
wey hey instantly it started..so nice to hear that american v8 rumble again after months of darkness..
so guys do u start ya stangs during winter hibernation or prefer to just leave it be.?.
my last stored stang (the v6 vrt i had) ended up with a lot of condensation in the oil during the monthly start ups so i decided not to do this again..
Old 02-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You'll get a lot of opinions but unless you can take her out and drive off the moisture under load, starting a winterized engine until she reaches operating temperature does more harm than good, as you have personally seen. When I lived in northern climates, I never started my engines for those 4-5 months after winterization.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:08 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I put mine away shortly before Thanksgiving (so end of November) and have not run it since. I never start my car while it's in storage.

HOPING I might be able to get it out mid-march, but knowing how the winter tends to be here it will probably be more like the end of the month before the weather's good enough to do it.

I also have a bunch of projects I'm trying to get done while it's still in storage and it's been so damn cold I haven't particularly wanted to go work in my unheated, uninsulated garage Spark plugs, gear oil change, install CMDP's, and if I can gather the money I would like to do cams before I get it back out as well.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

will be and of march here aswell..been very warm lately here so maybe a bit sooner
i've spent maybe 30 hours cleaning every little bit underneath over winter..
removing wheels if you have low profiles is important..mine flat spot after just week sitting still..a whole winter would ruin the tyres i rekon..
Old 02-19-2015, 03:06 PM
BlindGUYnAR
2nd Gear Member

Don't start it unless you're going to drive it. You're doing more harm than good.

We really haven't hit winter here in Arkansas yet. It has only snowed once and that didn't happen until this week.

It sits in my heated/cooled shop, but even then not more than 2 weeks have passed without a 60 deg day that begs us to drive it.

Normally they salt/mostly sand the roads here so they are off limits for a month after snow for fear of paint dings, but they didn't do that either this time so it's still game on.

Crossing my fingers that luck holds out through March.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Not a problem for me. I drive my '06 GT 'vert all year round, that includes ice & snow. She's like me, has to work for a living.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:19 PM
GO07GT

Haven't seen my car since November 1st. Rented a storage unit this year as I'm tired of scraping ice on my daily driver when I go to work. Really wish I had a 3 car garage
Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

some piccies after a winters polishing

Name:  mustang%20feb%202015_zps6h4hu4ta.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  mustang.%20feb%202015_zpslbsm3goy.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  78.6 KB
Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I neglected to put my front end up on jackstands (rear has been for awhile) and now kicking myself for it since it's been so cold...maybe I can get a chance to do that this weekend, supposed to snow (again) and we're not doing anything, and it's actually supposed to get above freezing for the first time in awhile! So I want to try to find some garage time.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Hibernation? My car doesn't know what that is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: first start up after winter hibernation